Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Zenit MT-1, a Soviet M42 mount half frame SLR.

Just some first impressions, I've always wanted to shoot a Soviet camera, and I've been hooked on half frame lately.  Upon some research through cached old early 2000s websites I stumbled upon the Zenit MT-1 Suprise as it translates to.  The origin of that name is kinda of a cruel joke considering it was originally created to be used with endoscopes through a bayonet mount.  I'm currently awaiting some PX625 equivalent batteries to get it up and running.

It's basically a Zenit 19, that has had it's 1/1000th shutter speed taken away, and using it's sync port to use a data back. My particular copy, comes with an ISO/Frame data back.  Some model's databacks could burn on patient information.  The copy I picked up, has an M42 mount, and luckily my viewfinder seems that it focuses.  Not all my models have a focusing screen with ground glass, and need to have prism from a 19 installed to do so.

I'm very excited to push a roll through it, and hopefully I'll soon be able to share those results.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20210807_134642272.jpg
  • IMG_20210807_134708478.jpg
Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung

Welcome to half-frame land if this is your first foray! It's interesting that this would basically be a full-sized SLR and yet shoot smaller negatives. Does it only do half-frame, or is there also a full-frame mask?

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on August 7, 2021, 7:24 pm

Welcome to half-frame land if this is your first foray! It's interesting that this would basically be a full-sized SLR and yet shoot smaller negatives. Does it only do half-frame, or is there also a full-frame mask?

It's half frame only, but there's a mask overlay on the prism glass to frame properly when you remove the lens. It's my 2nd camera, just that this one is in SLR form.

That is super unique! What a talking point if someone saw you walking around with it. I'm also intrigued by the size. I thought the main draw for half frame was the size. But now I'm realizing the history of half frame cameras goes much deeper than the marketing of the Olympus Trip cameras.

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on August 8, 2021, 12:53 am

That is super unique! What a talking point if someone saw you walking around with it. I'm also intrigued by the size. I thought the main draw for half frame was the size. But now I'm realizing the history of half frame cameras goes much deeper than the marketing of the Olympus Trip cameras.

I believe it's the Konica Auto Reflex, is another full size SLR that let's you switch between full or half frame mid roll. I kinda want to splurge on one, but they're fairly pricey.

Quote from Snappy on August 8, 2021, 12:53 am

Haha yeah, it's a whole thing. I'm also a member of another online forum for sub-miniature film, so half frame, 16mm, 110, etc. The community is small but surprisingly prolific.

On another note, thought that a lot of the appeal of half-frame cameras was size and weight as well, which is why I'm surprised that there'd be a camera system that uses m42 lenses which cover a full-frame image area. I guess that's the way to do it though if you want a widely accessible system for interchangeable lenses. The other one I can think of is the Canon Demi C, which can swap lenses but it's pretty rare and expensive.

SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency