Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Yashica LM TLR

I'm posting alot more film now, I just acquired a new scanner which has cut lab costs significantly. I fixed the shutter on this 1958 Yashica LM TLR after someone affixed it to their living room shelf for deco, I can't wait to push more film through it. These are favorite compositions from my first roll. The farm buildings are in Rice, one of my favorite parks in Minnesota.

It's equipped with a 80mm F3.5 lens, that has plenty of bokeh. At first it was a struggle to compose images, I rarely ever shoot in a square format with this camera being a 6*6 sized negative.

Uploaded files:
  • DSC_6631.jpg
  • Yash9.jpg
  • Yash2.jpg
  • Yash1.jpg
  • Yash4.jpg
James Warner, Beau Carpenter and Gawad have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterGawad

these are really lovely, looking forward to see more of the film shots coming up

TLR gangggggg

Is this your first time using a camera with a ground glass? The flip is definitely difficult to get used to. My first medium format camera was a Mamiya 645 so moving to a TLR wan't that big of a shift, but it definitely made my head explode when I first started on the Mamiya, especially taking vertical orientation. Square is also such a shift, but I've come more and more to prefer it, especially for the slower pace of shooting MF film.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on July 18, 2021, 3:43 pm

TLR gangggggg

Is this your first time using a camera with a ground glass? The flip is definitely difficult to get used to. My first medium format camera was a Mamiya 645 so moving to a TLR wan't that big of a shift, but it definitely made my head explode when I first started on the Mamiya, especially taking vertical orientation. Square is also such a shift, but I've come more and more to prefer it, especially for the slower pace of shooting MF film.

It is my first indeed! I really enjoy seeing the composition from the waist level.  I think what I'm going to do to refine my technique is shoot a 1:1 ratio on my DSLRs so I can develop an eye for it more.  I have a Pentax 6x7 too, the composition comes way more natural to me. I'm still working through my first roll.

My biggest limiting factor with this old camera is the shutter speeds.  It's fastest is 1/300, so I just bought a bayonet adapter to put on a 52mm ND filter on it. I want to push some 800 CN film through it.

We need to get Snappy on the TLR gang! They can be found for cheap with some elbow grease repairs and hunting lol!

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Quote from SpruceBruce on July 18, 2021, 11:48 pm
Quote from Justin Tung on July 18, 2021, 3:43 pm

TLR gangggggg

It is my first indeed! I really enjoy seeing the composition from the waist level.  I think what I'm going to do to refine my technique is shoot a 1:1 ratio on my DSLRs so I can develop an eye for it more.  I have a Pentax 6x7 too, the composition comes way more natural to me. I'm still working through my first roll.

My biggest limiting factor with this old camera is the shutter speeds.  It's fastest is 1/300, so I just bought a bayonet adapter to put on a 52mm ND filter on it. I want to push some 800 CN film through it.

We need to get Snappy on the TLR gang! They can be found for cheap with some elbow grease repairs and hunting lol!

Yes! @james-warner-b we're coming for you. It's a whole new kind of film shooting experience.

1/300 is definitely a struggle. Mine goes up to 1/400, which is allllmost 1/500, which is a reading my meter gives me so I often just use 1/400 in those instances. 1:1 in a digital camera is a good trick, I definitely did that with my Fuji for a while. I think square crop is something people either get along with or hate. One really big turning point for me was this video by Chang Liu about his Hasselblad:

I speak Mandarin, but the English subs are pretty spot on. His pictures of his family blew me away with not only their candid nature, but their beauty. After watching this video I bought and sold a Bronica SQ-A, and eventually settled on a TLR to pursue shooting in square.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency

Haha, hey, I'm all aboard. I came close once to a spur of the moment purchase when I saw a good deal, but some other buyer beat me by a minute. One of these days 🙂 I'm enjoying the images and learning about them from other people that are just getting started with them.

Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on July 20, 2021, 12:24 am

Haha, hey, I'm all aboard. I came close once to a spur of the moment purchase when I saw a good deal, but some other buyer beat me by a minute. One of these days 🙂 I'm enjoying the images and learning about them from other people that are just getting started with them.

I'm tempted to mail mine.  Just cause I'd love to see what you would cook up for a composition!  Especially all those Cypress (or so I think) trees on the creek/river you post lately.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung