Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Where to start with C Mount lenses?

Hello all,

I'm looking at getting into adapting C mount lenses on my Pentax Q and potentially other cameras. I see a ton of stuff out there, from vintage 16mm cinema lenses to modern CCTV lenses. I'm curious who has experience with C mount lenses and could point me in the direction of some real keepers, or just what to look out for.

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on September 8, 2023, 1:44 am

Hello all,

I'm looking at getting into adapting C mount lenses on my Pentax Q and potentially other cameras. I see a ton of stuff out there, from vintage 16mm cinema lenses to modern CCTV lenses. I'm curious who has experience with C mount lenses and could point me in the direction of some real keepers, or just what to look out for.

I've only tried one, which is a 25mm f1.4 CCTV lens, on an M43 mount adaptor. These ones often come with a set of tiny extension tubes as well. 

Centre of the image is just about sharp on mine, the edges aren't even close to sharp and can suffer from vignetting, sensors larger than M43 are going to make that worse. That said I quite like the effect you can get with it, as long as you know what to expect going in, they can be a good creative option.

This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pixco-Mount-Camera-Thirds-Adapter/dp/B07K9SD5M6?th=1

Reasonably well-built, clickless aperture, and tiny.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on September 8, 2023, 5:36 pm

Hello all,

I've only tried one, which is a 25mm f1.4 CCTV lens, on an M43 mount adaptor. These ones often come with a set of tiny extension tubes as well. 

Centre of the image is just about sharp on mine, the edges aren't even close to sharp and can suffer from vignetting, sensors larger than M43 are going to make that worse. That said I quite like the effect you can get with it, as long as you know what to expect going in, they can be a good creative option.

This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pixco-Mount-Camera-Thirds-Adapter/dp/B07K9SD5M6?th=1

Those are really lovely shots, well done. I had read somewhere else too about fuzzy edges being a common occurrence, but maybe it's a bigger deal with M43. The sensors I'm thinking of will be much smaller so maybe fair better.

SpruceBruce and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGideon Liddiard Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on September 9, 2023, 1:54 am
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on September 8, 2023, 5:36 pm

Hello all,

Those are really lovely shots, well done. I had read somewhere else too about fuzzy edges being a common occurrence, but maybe it's a bigger deal with M43. The sensors I'm thinking of will be much smaller so maybe fair better.

Thanks. You are 100% right, smaller sensors will help with that.

Look for Bolex cameras in thrift shops.  Kern Paillards are very sharp