Please or Register to create posts and topics.

When/ Why do you sell your Gear?

On the surface of it the potential answers seem obvious:

• I don’t use it.
  • I have too many lenses.
  • I don’t have a camera for it.
  • I Need the money etc.

I think I currently have around 10 lenses. Other than my macro lens and standard zoom most lenses get used infrequently however can be ideal for a trip.

Another aspect that puts me off selling items is if the item is obscure, it can be a pain to find a good example at a reasonable price. I’ve got a few Sigma Four Thirds lenses which are comparatively rare.

So, I’m curious at what point do you decide to sell gear?

I just don't have an urge or like it anymore, or I go I haven't even shot with this yet.  Why do I need it?

Sometimes for the money as well.

Lim has reacted to this post.
Lim

Not just photography...but...Pretty much when its worthless and a few years before it becomes collectable and sells for way more than it's actual value.

I like to hold on to the stuff that just sits, collects dust and would make moving a nightmare.

James Warner and Lim have reacted to this post.
James WarnerLim

I'd say I just sell when I don't use a lens. I like to try (whenever money is no issue) and see if I like it or not.

Usually I think about it for many time before purchasing anything so it's not often I get rid of my stuff. Yet sometimes I do.

Lim has reacted to this post.
Lim
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo
Quote from Lim on December 1, 2022, 9:49 am

On the surface of it the potential answers seem obvious:

• I don’t use it.
  • I have too many lenses.
  • I don’t have a camera for it.
  • I Need the money etc.

I think I currently have around 10 lenses. Other than my macro lens and standard zoom most lenses get used infrequently however can be ideal for a trip.

Another aspect that puts me off selling items is if the item is obscure, it can be a pain to find a good example at a reasonable price. I’ve got a few Sigma Four Thirds lenses which are comparatively rare.

I used to be more disciplined about this and actually had an excel sheet where I kept track of my photography gear, how much I had paid for it, and the last time I had used it (give or take). Then I had a rule of something like 3 months without use and I would sell it. Assuming it was something I could repurchase, so an exception would be something sentimental or not super duper rare. This worked, but then as I've gotten more into making video content to show off some of these neat cameras I've justified hanging onto things longer, and my collection has gotten much larger.

So I need to figure out how to get back into a good system, and a checklist of what I want to do with a camera before it leaves my doors. Right now it's taking picture for my website classiccameradatabase (there's a photo update coming soon to allow users to upload photos), make a video about it either long or a short highlight video, and take some cool shots with it. Then, if I'm not in the mood to use it anymore I'll pass it on but at least I've gotten some updated media to share with the world. Some of these cameras it's really tough to find modern content about.

Daniel Gonzalez, Lim and EckyH have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezLimEckyH
Happy snappin' 🙂

I sell gear when I want to buy gear, typically. I have this thing where I need to either mostly or fully fund new acquisitions for my hobby from my hobby/hobbies (occasionally I'll sell something that's not photo related for something that is). I don't have a lot of money so I can't just pour money into a non-essential. But I also pride myself on being pretty savvy with buying and selling, so in a way it's also its own mini-hobby.

I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

It depends a bit, but I have a somewhat keen eye toward second hand bundles, and a rather good knowledge about the M43 system, which is my main system, so I normally pick up bundles, flips what I dont need and keep what I fancy and so the inventory/collection/hoard grow over time and is reasonable self-financing outside the base funding.

I got that by selling off my own Pentax K-7 system and a somewhat large Canon system that I inherited from my father, plowing those proceeds into a camera "fund",  and adding to that, funds sourced when passing the 50 year mark.

Going all in, I am still in the black but that is somewhat based on having picked up an interest for older gear and shopping that second hand, I dont have much leeway at the moment for big ticket items without starting to off-load the "working/pro level gear", so to speak.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Best regards, JensM "If your photographic interest is taking photos of a brick wall, in dim light. This may not be the lens for you" - David Thorpe

When I need the money for other gear. Although recently with kids and the walls closing in I have been happy to let go of gear to free up physical space. It is difficult for me, though, even with some things I never use if I have an emotional attachment them. They were a gift or purchasing it was a big deal etc. I've been having trouble parting with my K-3 for that reason, even though I haven't really used it in 2 months.

Hi,

Great question! Here's a quick rundown of my approach:

Usage: If I haven't used a lens or camera in 6-12 months, it's usually a sign I should sell it.
Style: I sell gear if it doesn't align with my current photography style or focus.
Upgrades: If there's a new model with significant improvements, I might sell my old gear to help fund the upgrade.
Rarity: While rare items can be hard to part with, if I'm not using it frequently, I'd rather sell it to someone who will.
Finance: Selling unused gear can help fund new purchases, a necessity in our expensive hobby!

Quality over quantity. It's better to have gear you use regularly than a collection gathering dust.