Please or Register to create posts and topics.

When Texas Froze Over

I live in the Austin area, and this past week has been freakishly cold and snowy. Of course, I wanted to get out and take some photos. I had gotten my hands on  a roll of Fuji Eterna RDS 4791. Fuji's site says this stock was "intended for making archival black and white separations from color digital masters. This film is designed for a digital separation workflow using a film recorder." I have no idea what that means, but it was rated for ISO 6-25, so a bit of white sky and light bouncing off the snow gave me a chance to shoot it right at ISO 12. Another new thing is that the the backing on this film is polyester, which has a tendency to suffer from light piping, particularly around the sprocket holes. The 35mm image area was mostly intact though, although I did shoot this in the Mamiya 645.

Of course, after the sun went down, I reverted back to my digital ways. I forgot to shoot in raw, so F for the digital noise.

I really like this film stock. The low ISO makes it sort of a one-trick pony, and to be honest I couldn't really see myself getting more unless I had a particular use case in mind, but it was breathtaking to peel this roll off of the spool.

Would be interested in getting a Texas snowstorm thread going! I'm betting @james-warner-b has some images; maybe some others who are around this area as well!

James Warner and Beau Carpenter have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau Carpenter
Ever striving for minimum competency

Very nice collection! Amazing that you could shoot it at 12 ISO. I have never tried a specialty film before.

I really like all the photos, but especially the iced cactus because that is just so unusual! I also shot some snowed cacti. Thought that would capture the strangeness of snow in south central Texas pretty well.

Did you lose power? We were without power for a while and ending up cooking a couple meals on a camp stove in our garage.

A little bit of time spent playing in the snow before we realized getting cold when we had no heat was not a lot of fun. 😀

Moody shots around the neighborhood trying to capture some familiar spots with the unfamiliar snow.

Also took the infrared camera out for a spin

Then I went for a little walk with my telephoto lens and tried to capture some of the plant and wildlife enjoying the snow.

I have loads more, but nothing great. Mostly I just wanted to go out and document this crazy event. Now it's sunny and 70 degrees outside and we are back to wearing shorts. 🙂

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Happy snappin' 🙂