Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What would you like from 2023 new cameras?

It will never happen, but I'd like a "super 4/3" camera - a camera with a sensor area size about the same as 35mm, but in a native 4x3 ratio, which I tend to prefer. It would also differentiate from the market quite a bit.

And be a massive commercial failure 😀

What would you like to see?

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

I wouldn't buy it any time soon because I don't have full frame glass, but a Pentax K-1iii with the autofocus capabilities of the K-3iii would be amazing.

A Pentax branded mirrorless camera with Pentax user interface and an adapter for K-mount lenses with at least aperture control would be a "here is my money"-camera...

The question was:
"What would you like?" and not "What is realistic?" 😀

E.

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from Cory Maben on January 1, 2023, 9:40 pm

A full frame Foveon sensor, which according to Sigma may happen. I would also like for Sigma to move away from the SA mount to a mirrorless mount for their mirrorless Foveons. Maybe they could use Leica L like they do on their cine bodies and create a high quality L > SA adapter with full auto functionality and weather sealing, that way people who already have the glass can still use it.

Generally for the camera market I think there really isn't much to be excited for anymore, more megapixels, faster autofocus, better dynamic range all kind of feel unexciting because at least for me, we are already so deep into the territory of diminishing returns that I probably don't use the full capabilities of the cameras I already own. I feel like the truly exciting thing lies elsewhere in the experience of photography rather than technological improvements.

That's a good call on the mount change. Although I'd still like to have that removable hot mirror/dust filter like they're able to fit into their mirrorless cameras because of that huge flange distance. They should be able to sneak it in there somehow even with an updated shorter mount.

I am mostly interested in this just from my nerdy perspective, and would not buy a full frame foveon except to just play with it. Which would have to be years later as I'm sure the price brand new will be quite large.

And I agree about my current cameras already past my capabilities as a photographer. Some of that is due to these cameras being so good, and some is due to me needing to level up as a photographer more. It's good to circle back to the idea of getting more use from what you currently own than chasing new gear.

I really want Pentax to release that K-3III monochrome they teased. I just think that's a really intriguing product which almost no other competition. It's a small market, but there's a market for that, and it would bring people into the Pentax world and their limited lens line up nicely. I may even pick one up for "Research" and "the channel" xD

Daniel Gonzalez and EckyH have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezEckyH
Happy snappin' 🙂

I've never had a pentax dslr, but clearly that needs to change.

Agree on tech - it's mad how successful marketing has been. We always, always wanted smaller, comfortable and portable cameras but the allure is ever bigger numbers is too much to resist.

Especially as bigger sensor =bigger glass = harder to get good autofocus due to limited depth of field and moving bigger lumps of glass in a bigger tube. Smaller just seems so right!

I would love to see more information on the development of new film cameras from pentax - and especially so if they announce it's a pentax 67!

Quote from James Warner on January 2, 2023, 12:50 pm

I really want Pentax to release that K-3III monochrome they teased. I just think that's a really intriguing product which almost no other competition. It's a small market, but there's a market for that, and it would bring people into the Pentax world and their limited lens line up nicely. I may even pick one up for "Research" and "the channel" xD

That would be very cool, no doubt. And it would be very tempting...

On the other hand I don't need the faster AF of the K-3III or the higher ISO capabilities.

For that money a monochrome K-3III would cost (I assume roughly €/$ 2300) I'd rather purchase a second hand K-3, send it to Vilnius, let someone do some purposefully scratching on the sensor and for the rest of the money I could get a Fuji X-S10 and a lens... Edit: or better an HD D-FA 21/2.4.

E.

Veni, vidi, serravi.

A weather sealed Ricoh GR, maybe the same sensor as the K-3 III

Maybe Lumix to re-launch the GX lines, the G100 really is a GX800 with a viewfinder and weird microphone; for me it's not compelling enough, it's outclassed by the older/much cheaper G85 as a video cam. I'd like to see a GX10 similar body to the GX8 (except 3.5mm Headphone jack) and basically the same specs as the GH5/GH5 II. I think Lumix are making a mistake in forsaking the smaller bodies.

Here's one that's out there, a Pentax MX-D. Luxury compact FF camera, all metal body, manual focus fixed lens, no LCD screen just an EVF, focal length of 31mm F2 (should be possible without AF motors). The parts would be cheap, make it appeal to the Leica dreamers that can't afford Leica, you could charge 2.5K and get a large profit margin.

SpruceBruce and EckyH have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceEckyH
Kieran

+1 for the pentax mx-d. I have often lusted for the Sony RX1.

Weather sealed GR is a good shout as well. No idea why it's not sealed as it is.