Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What film should I shoot next?

I'm still on my slow and steady family documentary stuff with Kodak Tri-X, but I'm starting to feel the itch to try a new film. These are the films I've tried to far:

Kodak Tri-X - lots and lots

Ilford hp5 - 2 rolls

Fujifilm superia 400 - 6-8 rolls

Kodak gold - 6-8 rolls

Kodak ektar 100 - 1 roll

I feel like I'm forgetting some... Anyway, as you can see not much variety. I really like Kodak Tri-X for what I do with film so I guess I'm a picky eater haha. I actually really liked ektar 100, it was just too slow for indoors. Maybe I'll try it again...

Any film you think I should try? And what would go best to shoot with them? Probably something out of my normal family stuff which I think Tri-X will reign supreme for a while. Something good for landscape, travel...

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Fomapan 200, it's a very interesting and sharp film that looks better shot at 400 in my opinion. Very classic but good detail at the same time.

I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

Untitled (25) by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

An example, on a nice old K1000 with the 50mm f2.

SpruceBruce
I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.
Quote from agentlossing on August 16, 2021, 11:29 pm

Fomapan 200, it's a very interesting and sharp film that looks better shot at 400 in my opinion. Very classic but good detail at the same time.

I second Fomapan (and its rebrands)! It's a good cheap stock, and although I feel like it doesn't separate midtones as well as HP5+, it holds plenty of dynamic range. Rollei films are also interesting, but I don't really have any experience with them. Ilford's other offerings may be attractive to you too.

For color, have you looked at Lomography films? They're surprisingly available at a selection of speeds. Also, if you're daring you can give Kodak vision3 a shot, or its meme brother, Cinestill films.

SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency

Alright, Fomapan is cheap enough to give it a whirl. That example pic is really nice.

I haven't looked seriously at lomography. I watched a video with someone shooting one once and it was just way too exciting for me haha. I like more subdued or just classic looks. Maybe they offer something like that too.

Interesting Rollei has an infrared film. That could be interesting.

Keep 'em coming 😀

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Fomapan 400 since I've been seeing the results people are getting with it at such a cheap price, and for color negative I'd say Lomo 800, I had pretty good results with it in Hawaii and it has very good dynamic range.  I've got a roll of it in my MZ-S and I've been doing Macro and Butterfly/Bumblebee shots with it in the mornings lately to further review it's capability.

Fuji C200, has never failed me either for a cheap stock.  Although it shoots alot more cooler and has deeper greens/blues than Kodak films.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Quote from SpruceBruce on August 18, 2021, 2:32 am

Fomapan 400 since I've been seeing the results people are getting with it at such a cheap price, and for color negative I'd say Lomo 800, I had pretty good results with it in Hawaii and it has very good dynamic range.  I've got a roll of it in my MZ-S and I've been doing Macro and Butterfly/Bumblebee shots with it in the mornings lately to further review it's capability.

Fuji C200, has never failed me either for a cheap stock.  Although it shoots alot more cooler and has deeper greens/blues than Kodak films.

I forgot I liked your lomo 800 shots you shared! Worth trying out for sure.

Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from SpruceBruce on August 18, 2021, 2:32 am

I second Fuji C200, although I don't feel like there's that much difference between it and Superia 400. However, I also feel the same way about Ultramax and Gold.

I shot a roll of Lomo 800 but haven't seen any shots from it yet. It's definitely an oddball as the only alternative to Portra for a color negative 800 speed film. I've heard a lot of stuff about it's origins and consistency, so we'll see I guess. Definitely worth trying though.

SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency