Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What do you use for a camera strap?

Page 1 of 2Next

Every time I get ready to seriously consider a new camera strap I bail out from all the options. I’m curious what everyone else uses and would recommend.

Right now I just use my stock straps or no straps at all. When I use the neck strap I actually wrap it multiple times around my wrist and use it like a wrist strap, so I would think a wrist strap is what I’m going after. Something like the Peak Design Clutch system looks good https://www.peakdesign.com/products/clutch?variant=9783898013740&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6s2IBhCnARIsAP8RfAgUBkod6BwfzZX-4mbyxiGUw3K5e-Inv95ydRvm67Ced1qvwK8L3vYaAjngEALw_wcB

What do you all use to hold your camera secure when shooting?

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

I have a peak design strap, and wrist strap.  It's a buy once cry once investment, their quality just can't be beat even if it's very expensive.  I've tried some cheaper straps off Amazon and they just don't give me that same comfort level or peace of mind in robustness.  I'd look for 2nd hand market deals for them.

Although I don't always use straps and just hold my camera mostly, or take my backpack for preference.  I find that the peak design cuff wrist strap is my go to most of the time, if I'm going to use a strap. I'm generally only using it with a small prime and camera body, no way I'd use it with a telephoto zoom or prime.

Quote from SpruceBruce on August 11, 2021, 4:49 pm

I have a peak design strap, and wrist strap.  It's a buy once cry once investment, their quality just can't be beat even if it's very expensive.  I've tried some cheaper straps off Amazon and they just don't give me that same comfort level or peace of mind in robustness.  I'd look for 2nd hand market deals for them.

Although I don't always use straps and just hold my camera mostly, or take my backpack for preference.  I find that the peak design cuff wrist strap is my go to most of the time, if I'm going to use a strap. I'm generally only using it with a small prime and camera body, no way I'd use it with a telephoto zoom or prime.

That's how I feel about my peak design capture clip, and that's why I'm looking at them now. It's just rare I'm so completely satisfied with the quality and practicality of something that I'm sure it translates to their straps too.

The cuff looks nice for like you said small more casual shooting. I think I'd like that for my fa43 and family stuff which I do most of them time. I was looking at the clutch for use with my da 300. Right now I use no strap and I just balance the grip with my fingers when walking around with it. A little precarious. One small trip and..

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

I'll second the Peak Design strap. I have a Slide lite and a Clutch.

The Slide lite has been used for all my cameras including the larger Canon 5D & BMPCC 4k. The two things that make it exceptional for me are the ease of adjusting length and the ease of removing it from the camera. Most of the time I don't keep any straps on my cameras, but when I want to go for a walk the Slide lite will usually go on them.

I used to use the clutch a lot more than I do now. Used to be super nervous about dropping a camera, but it's not so much of a concern now. I guess I've just become more confident in handling. I also realized that sometimes it just got in the way and forced me to hold the camera in a certain position that wasn't always helpful shooting at low angles.

*Edit*

Realized I kind of came down hard on the clutch and my comments weren't particularly helpful for your situation @james-warner-b with walking around with the 300mm lens. You are correct, the clutch does give you a very secure hand grip. Used it on a trip in India with a borrowed GH5 and it was fantastic for peace of mind keeping a secure hold on the camera.

Also, my negative comments about grip were from using it on a GX85. The clutch is a bit oversized for that camera.

If I had to pick one now, I would stick with the shoulder strap.

SpruceBruce

I loathed camera straps till I got a Peak.  What a nice piece of gear.  Worth every penny of the 70 bucks I paid for it. it even looks nice.

I swing the tripod collar of my 300mm f4 to the top of my camera. Clip one strap lock to there and one to the normal position.  So you can carry it comfortably without distorting the mount (I hope).

I see this Three Legged Thing Ellie with the Peak products.

Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce

Wow, I'm surprised so many have experience with the Peak Design products. Looks like I'm headed down the right path. Thanks for the advice all. @beau-carpenter was kind enough to send me his unused clutch, so I'll try that out. I'm really curious about the other straps now. We'll see if this covers my needs. If I'm not holding the camera in my hand it's clipped into my capture clip or in the bag. Is slinging it with the 300mm lens really that comfortable for walking/hiking?

I looked up the three legged ellie. Hadn't heard of that before. I'm going to have to watch some videos on it because it seems like it can do some neat things beyond what normal L-brackets do. Very cool. And Peak Design capability is awesome.

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

I use a 1$ strap from the strap bucket at my local camera shop haha. I've got a few that tend to stay on cameras, and they've worked perfectly fine. something like PD definitely looks convenient if you need it for that, but shooting film is slower anyway so being able to quick-draw a camera isn't that advantageous!

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on August 13, 2021, 4:48 pm

I use a 1$ strap from the strap bucket at my local camera shop haha. I've got a few that tend to stay on cameras, and they've worked perfectly fine. something like PD definitely looks convenient if you need it for that, but shooting film is slower anyway so being able to quick-draw a camera isn't that advantageous!

Yeah that's true. With film I don't mind whatever classic strap came with the camera (I've collected quite a few). It's all about looking hipster anyway (okay jk jk... But really)

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Happy snappin' 🙂

I have a Canon A1 in almost perfect condition with obscene red w/ giant white CANON letters. Subtle it's not. really nice camera.  I think I have the leather case too. I should sell it.

I kinda dig Domke straps.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung
Quote from KankRat on August 17, 2021, 9:36 pm

I have a Canon A1 in almost perfect condition with obscene red w/ giant white CANON letters. Subtle it's not. really nice camera.  I think I have the leather case too. I should sell it.

I kinda dig Domke straps.

I have that same Canon strap, or at least one like it 😀 It's on my Canon 40D right now.

I hear a lot about Domke. I'll check them out.

The Peak Design Clutch from @beau-carpenter came today. I'll give it a go tomorrow morning on my bike ride!

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Happy snappin' 🙂
Page 1 of 2Next