Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What do you look out for when buying a used digital camera?

Hello all,

I'm coming up with a helpful guide video of a list of things people should look out for when buying an old used digital camera. I get asked a lot about my old digital camera recommendations, but I believe there's just some basic underlying points people should check into before purchasing that I have been burned by before. Here's what I have so far:

• Memory type and availability
  • Battery type and availability
  • Common issues with camera

I'm curious what else you would add to the list!

Happy snappin' 🙂

I'd add to it the availability and cost of desired accessories. You may think twice about getting into a system if a Lense you plan on purchasing down the road is rarely available and costs 3x more than what you would happily pay for it.

I just saw someone got a Q 08 wide zoom for only £116. Sad times.

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner

Whether or not it shoots in RAW. I'm often tempted to buy an older Lumix point-and-shoot that I had for a while, and took on a few memorable trips, but I keep holding off because it doesn't shoot RAW, and messing around in Lightroom is just fun. (I know that can be done with JPGs, but still.)

I think it can be useful to do some research into the series that a camera is part of as a whole, at least looking at whether there were any revisions before or after the one you are looking at that might be a better fit for what you want to do.

Quote from Lim on October 11, 2022, 7:24 am

I'd add to it the availability and cost of desired accessories. You may think twice about getting into a system if a Lense you plan on purchasing down the road is rarely available and costs 3x more than what you would happily pay for it.

I just saw someone got a Q 08 wide zoom for only £116. Sad times.

Great advice! I will definitely add that to my list. I often do point people to a system based on what lens they want - if they're on a tight budget. And what a lucky person getting that lens!

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from denniscrommett on October 11, 2022, 4:59 pm

Whether or not it shoots in RAW. I'm often tempted to buy an older Lumix point-and-shoot that I had for a while, and took on a few memorable trips, but I keep holding off because it doesn't shoot RAW, and messing around in Lightroom is just fun. (I know that can be done with JPGs, but still.)

That's a good one! And maybe I'll bundle that with whether it can shoot priority/manual modes or only auto.

Quote from Ruby on October 13, 2022, 2:24 am

I think it can be useful to do some research into the series that a camera is part of as a whole, at least looking at whether there were any revisions before or after the one you are looking at that might be a better fit for what you want to do.

That's really smart. I've bought cameras only to realize a camera earlier or later in the series had more of what I wanted, or a better, lens, or the more renowned sensor etc. Good advice!

Happy snappin' 🙂