Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Welcome the new camera to the Snappiness family

PreviousPage 2 of 2

I'm curious to see what your opinion of the KP will be. I sold mine after a couple of years and not many photos shot with it.

I couldn't fall in love with the KP. It just didn't feel right in the way the K5 or K3 felt, and I shot tens of thousands of photos with those two bodies. I think the different grip had something to do with it. Also, these days it is a lot easier to focus my eye on a mirrorless viewfinder than to use a DSLR (getting old: 2/10 would not recommend!) so that might be a factor as well.

Quote from juanbuhler on July 21, 2021, 12:55 am

I'm curious to see what your opinion of the KP will be. I sold mine after a couple of years and not many photos shot with it.

I couldn't fall in love with the KP. It just didn't feel right in the way the K5 or K3 felt, and I shot tens of thousands of photos with those two bodies. I think the different grip had something to do with it. Also, these days it is a lot easier to focus my eye on a mirrorless viewfinder than to use a DSLR (getting old: 2/10 would not recommend!) so that might be a factor as well.

I am liking the KP more than I thought. Grip and controls wise. I knew image quality would be good of course. But it won't beat the K5/3 for me in terms of feel. Those cameras win without a doubt in that regards. But it's better than I thought. Hoping the battery grip makes it even better. We will see.

juanbuhler has reacted to this post.
juanbuhler
Happy snappin' 🙂

I am looking at a similar move. I added a DA*300 this year and the 1.4x TC. I love it, but it's a constant struggle to keep the iso low enough and shutter speed fast enough. The K3 is fine up to 800 for those shots of tiny birds or critters where you have to crop a lot, but at 1600 it falls apart. The K3III is of course what I want but not at the launch price. A used KP might be the way to go. The K70 also has the image accelerator but also has the lower end AF.

Quote from vector on August 5, 2021, 7:56 pm

I am looking at a similar move. I added a DA*300 this year and the 1.4x TC. I love it, but it's a constant struggle to keep the iso low enough and shutter speed fast enough. The K3 is fine up to 800 for those shots of tiny birds or critters where you have to crop a lot, but at 1600 it falls apart. The K3III is of course what I want but not at the launch price. A used KP might be the way to go. The K70 also has the image accelerator but also has the lower end AF.

It'll take me a bit longer to finish formulating my thoughts and experiences with it, but I do plan to do a formal write up/video with that idea in mind. Kind of a follow-up to my K1/k3 with the DA* 300mm video where I was comparing the wildlife features of the K3 to the IQ of the K1. In short, I do think the KP is a worthwhile jump while waiting for the K3III to go down in price on the used market.

For my wildlife the slower burst isn't a huge deal. The ergonomics are not as good, but after getting used to it the KP is fine. AF doesn't feel any different with the lens, so not better but not worse. High ISO is definitely better and feels close to K1 but not quite. Close enough to make the combined crop advantage and burst rate trump the K1 for what I'm doing.

The 1.4 is on my list still. Not sure if it'll be later this year or early next year ready for the spring birds 🙂

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and vector have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBrucevector
Happy snappin' 🙂
PreviousPage 2 of 2