Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Welcome the new camera to the Snappiness family

Page 1 of 2Next

This has been a long time coming. Finally found a good deal and had the cash on hand. Sold my K-3 and a lens to help fund it.

Its too soon to tell how I really feel about the Pentax KP. I was worried the grip would be uncomfortable. It's not. But the camera itself does feel smaller than the K3 and not quite as nice to grip when using a heavy lens. I can see how if I had the battery grip it would really eliminate the problem, because it's not a grip ergonomics issue just a small camera issue. And small can be really good with other lenses, so I'm not complaining.

Buttons and dials in new areas but not bad, just different. I think I do prefer the front dial in the traditional position rather than vertical, but it's not bad. I also prefer the larger flatter shutter button, but this one is fine too once I get used to it.

Sure looks sharp.

Ill post some images once I start making them 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • PXL_20210608_141722507.PORTRAIT.jpg
agentlossing, Tristan Carlos and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
agentlossingTristan CarlosBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂

Exciting! I had the chance to own a KP for a little while at the same time as a K5. 100% agree with your assessment of the button/dial situation. Different, but not bad. I found that the third dial ("e-dial" I think) was very handy. Most of the time I left it on ISO.

Looking forward to more excellent shots!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from Beau Carpenter on June 8, 2021, 4:33 pm

Exciting! I had the chance to own a KP for a little while at the same time as a K5. 100% agree with your assessment of the button/dial situation. Different, but not bad. I found that the third dial ("e-dial" I think) was very handy. Most of the time I left it on ISO.

I do like the third dial. That's something I really like about the K-1 system as well.

Here's some pics from today. Not a great wildlife day, but I did find my owls (they flew away too soon for anything great) and I did find a young spotted deer. It also ran away but turned around before it left so I at least got it's face 🙂

The deer photo was taken at 6400 ISO and cropped. That's the reason I went with it over the K-3. I like everything about the K-3 including low light performance, but the KP is just better, and I am shooting a lot of low light right now when I go out on my bike rides in the early morning.

Tristan Carlos, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on June 8, 2021, 4:45 pm

I do like the third dial. That's something I really like about the K-1 system as well.

Here's some pics from today. Not a great wildlife day, but I did find my owls (they flew away too soon for anything great) and I did find a young spotted deer. It also ran away but turned around before it left so I at least got it's face 🙂

The deer photo was taken at 6400 ISO and cropped. That's the reason I went with it over the K-3. I like everything about the K-3 including low light performance, but the KP is just better, and I am shooting a lot of low light right now when I go out on my bike rides in the early morning.

You have to get the 15mm limited on it.  It never leaves my KP, I love the aperture, especially for macro, and HDR bracketing modes.  I saw you just posted on YouTube about the 20-40 limited, hoping that's definitely a review video for the future.

You'll get more use to the third dial with time.  It was awkward for me at first. Btw, what grip are you running? I have the medium and I find it the most comfortable.

I was tempted to get the K3 III, but I don't see it being that much better than the KP at it's price point.

Quote from SpruceBruce on June 9, 2021, 11:30 am
Quote from Snappy on June 8, 2021, 4:45 pm

You have to get the 15mm limited on it.  It never leaves my KP, I love the aperture, especially for macro, and HDR bracketing modes.  I saw you just posted on YouTube about the 20-40 limited, hoping that's definitely a review video for the future.

You'll get more use to the third dial with time.  It was awkward for me at first. Btw, what grip are you running? I have the medium and I find it the most comfortable.

I was tempted to get the K3 III, but I don't see it being that much better than the KP at it's price point.

The 20-40 Limited came with the camera as a bundle. That’s why I was able to fund it. Because I knew I could sell back the 20-40 and make the KP much cheaper but itself. So, I am not planning on keeping it long, but I do hope to make a video about it. It is a Pentax favorite. I’ll see if I can do it justice in the short time I have it. Probably not, but at least enough to make it look good. 🙂

I really liked borrowing PocketPixels 15mm Limited. I could see using that in the future for sure. If I could just stick to APSC/Full frame then I wouldn’t have to hop between both sets of lenses and just commit to the DA Limiteds. But I like my K-1 too much 🙂

Happy snappin' 🙂

Congrats on the KP, I have one as well and really like it. Though I must say I haven't really figured out what I want to do for lenses. I have the "plastic fantastic" 35/2.4 which is nice, but I want to get a limited prime to keep on it. I have a hard time deciding where I want to go with focal length.

I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.
Quote from agentlossing on June 9, 2021, 8:38 pm

Congrats on the KP, I have one as well and really like it. Though I must say I haven't really figured out what I want to do for lenses. I have the "plastic fantastic" 35/2.4 which is nice, but I want to get a limited prime to keep on it. I have a hard time deciding where I want to go with focal length.

I bought it primarily for wildlife, since that’s the one thing I shoot that my K-1 isn’t great. It’s good at it and fine in some circumstances, but not great. I wanted the extra reach and faster burst. So far so good. As such, the DA* 300mm is really my primary lens for it and will be on it almost all the time. I plan to run some of my other full frame glass on it just to play around with, but probably would default to my K-1 for other shooting. If and when I have more funds to spare I too would like to delve into some of those DA Limiteds. I really liked the 15mm. I felt like it was a perfect walk around landscape lens. I hear exceptional things about the 35mm macro regarding IQ, and that could be a fun lens to walk around in the woods with. 21 and 70 have been on my list to try out as well. So much to see, so much to do 🙂

Happy snappin' 🙂

I knew this was your next move after having sold the K-3! Great stuff, James!

I also have just recently bought the KP and I'm already finding it quite good! It is sharper than the K-1 cropped and I find that the autofocus is really good. So far I really love the outline peaking and the ninja mode (live view + ES). I think the KP is a keeper!

Quote from tristanludlow on June 25, 2021, 12:51 pm

I knew this was your next move after having sold the K-3! Great stuff, James!

I also have just recently bought the KP and I'm already finding it quite good! It is sharper than the K-1 cropped and I find that the autofocus is really good. So far I really love the outline peaking and the ninja mode (live view + ES). I think the KP is a keeper!

I'm a fan of it. Still getting used to the form factor over the K3 style body (which I still like more). But it's growing on me a lot. And then yeah, everything else about it is amazing. I got it for a super good deal too so it was essentially only $100 over my used K3 I sold. A bargain in every way. 🙂

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Out of curiousity, do you still have the K-5 or have you sold it as well? What bodies have you kept after acquiring the KP?

Page 1 of 2Next