Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[Warning: stupidly long post] Does Full-Frame Make Sense for Non-Professionals in 2023?

PreviousPage 2 of 2

I'm one of those "Crazy" people who prefers an APS-C (or smaller) sensor over a Full Frame camera hands down Every Single Time.

I learned to shoot Digital Photography on an APS-C sensor and instead of "getting good and going pro" with a "Full Frame Camera" I kept upgrading to better APS-C sensors.  I tried to "Jump Ship" to Full Frame with a Canon 6D in 2016 and was so frustrated with that camera that turned around and sold it after 3 months to buy a Canon 80D; a camera that I loved for years till it got water damaged in 2019 and I moved onto the "Dark Side" of Nikon.  Since then I never really looked back on FF other then a curiosity when I'm in a very specific mood.

I do own one Full Frame camera: a Sony a99.  I decided it was worth dabbling back into Full Frame not as my primary camera but because the Sony a99 is such a strange and unique camera which I can shoot 40 year old lenses on it and have fun.

My Workhorse cameras when I need to be "Serious" about Photography IE I am taking photos of an Event for Friends, Family or Volunteering for a Non-Profit (something I want to get back into- just haven't had time) or want those A+ Nature shots (That "Free 1.5x Teleconverter" is chef kiss for Nature Photography) are a Nikon D7200 and Nikon Z50. Both are 1.5x DX crop sensors.

The D7200 is a tank with amazing Dynamic Range and the Z50 is a very overlooked diamond in the rough that has better low light performance then my Sony a99 full frame body (!) and even some of the "Entry" level modern Full Frame cameras like a Z5 or Canon RP.

Yes, a Canon R3 or Sony a7RV is going to cream the Nikon Z50 still when it comes to low light performance; but the fact it can go toe to toe with lower end Full Frame bodies puts to rest the Urban Myth that "Only Full Frame cameras are Good at Low Light"

When I'm shooting street photography in the daylight anything goes. From my pocket "Does Everything" 1" Panasonic ZS100 to APS-C DSLRs and even small sensor pocket cameras that are over a decade old.  And Micro 43rds is a great format to play with too.

I also dislike Full Frame for the same reason most people froth at the mouth over it, aka the "Shallow DOF".  9 times out of 10 unless I am looking for a very specific artistic shot having more in focus is a great thing.  Its one of the strengths of using my Micro 43rds or even 1" camera for street scenes; I don't have to try and battle my F stop or distance away from the subject to get crisp images with some wiggle room of not having to be 100% precise on my focusing being perfect.

EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH
Quote from James Warner on April 3, 2023, 3:02 pm

And also I'm in Iowa now, I don't know if you saw that. When I get around to figuring out a meetup you're invited!

Iowa is only a 4-5 hour drive from me (depending on where) I might be tempted as well so long as I can get permission from the other half to be absent for a weekend 🙂

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
PreviousPage 2 of 2