Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Used gear trades or sales?

Just curious if it would be fine to do some gear sales/swaps here? I totally understand if you don't want to deal with the headaches that might entail.

As someone who frequently changes gear and enjoys trying new camera systems, I want to shed some of my underutilized cameras and lenses.

I think that if each person accepts to hold complete responsibility for whatever might happen during the trading process then it would be a nice idea.

but honestly this would be up to james to decide as it's his platform and honestly he has every right to not accept it if he doesn't feel comfortable.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from Gawad on February 18, 2022, 6:34 am

I think that if each person accepts to hold complete responsibility for whatever might happen during the trading process then it would be a nice idea.

but honestly this would be up to james to decide as it's his platform and honestly he has every right to not accept it if he doesn't feel comfortable.

Exactly why I've asked. Since it can open up a can of worms...

I have thought a lot about this, @sprucebruce. If there is interest I can certainly make a section for listing things for sale, trade, or wanted. And to @gawad point I would just put a sticky disclaimer that it's all on you. But that's the same with any of these peer-to-peer forums where there's no payment system to help monitor the process. The difference would be I don't have a way to monitor feedback (would have to think that through). So for now it would just be purely trust and good will.

Beyond that I've been pondering for months now an even bigger kind of dream that I just can't figure out how it would work. To your point, since so many of us like to try out gear, and I have so much gear laying around on any given day (haha), it would be cool if I had a more systemized approach to loan out my gear, or do temporary swaps. Here are the obstacles I still can't get past:

• While I could do this for free, shipping costs are going up so each shipment would cost $10-20 per person. That could get costly fast if I'm loaning out multiple pieces of gear (ie doesn't scale well, not that I'm opposed to spending money on a few times)
  • Unfortunately, it would be hard to include international members, since shipping times and costs would make their own set of issues.
  • Most (not all) pieces of my gear aren't worth very much, so the above costs wouldn't be justified for anyone.
  • The pieces that are worth a lot I would be hesitant to loan, but I do trust the group we have now. The question is how to come up with a set of criteria for new comers if they wanted to participate.

Anyway, that's kind of a different topic so maybe I've derailed this thread, haha. I am curious if any of you have suggestions on how to solve any of those bullet points. It's almost like setting up a mail rental service, but for cool old cameras. It would have to be somehow tied to credit cards and stuff so that if a renter lost their gear they could get their money back. But like I said for a lot of pieces of gear that just doesn't make sense. Renting a $100 camera, by the time you just pay for shipping both ways you've paid for a fourth of its worth.

Locally this is a lot easier to do.

But maybe I just drop that whole idea and either loan out equipment at my own cost on a person by person basis (you all are so cool and I just want to give back!!), or I do have a different idea for some fun giveaways... I'll keep that under wraps for now 😉

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on February 18, 2022, 12:26 pm

I have thought a lot about this, @sprucebruce. If there is interest I can certainly make a section for listing things for sale, trade, or wanted. And to @gawad point I would just put a sticky disclaimer that it's all on you. But that's the same with any of these peer-to-peer forums where there's no payment system to help monitor the process. The difference would be I don't have a way to monitor feedback (would have to think that through). So for now it would just be purely trust and good will.

Beyond that I've been pondering for months now an even bigger kind of dream that I just can't figure out how it would work. To your point, since so many of us like to try out gear, and I have so much gear laying around on any given day (haha), it would be cool if I had a more systemized approach to loan out my gear, or do temporary swaps. Here are the obstacles I still can't get past:

• While I could do this for free, shipping costs are going up so each shipment would cost $10-20 per person. That could get costly fast if I'm loaning out multiple pieces of gear (ie doesn't scale well, not that I'm opposed to spending money on a few times)
  • Unfortunately, it would be hard to include international members, since shipping times and costs would make their own set of issues.
  • Most (not all) pieces of my gear aren't worth very much, so the above costs wouldn't be justified for anyone.
  • The pieces that are worth a lot I would be hesitant to loan, but I do trust the group we have now. The question is how to come up with a set of criteria for new comers if they wanted to participate.

Anyway, that's kind of a different topic so maybe I've derailed this thread, haha. I am curious if any of you have suggestions on how to solve any of those bullet points. It's almost like setting up a mail rental service, but for cool old cameras. It would have to be somehow tied to credit cards and stuff so that if a renter lost their gear they could get their money back. But like I said for a lot of pieces of gear that just doesn't make sense. Renting a $100 camera, by the time you just pay for shipping both ways you've paid for a fourth of its worth.

But maybe I just drop that whole idea and either loan out equipment at my own cost on a person by person basis (you all are so cool and I just want to give back!!), or I do have a different idea for some fun giveaways... I'll keep that under wraps for now 😉

That's a really neat idea, but those hurdles you point out are pretty big. It seems like it could become a second job over time especially as the forum grows. The shipping one is big... I suppose someday it could be easy and virtually free. Just send your drone out! "Beep beep. Hello good Sir, please, take a Takumar. Goodbye. Bzzzzzzzzz"

An idyllic view of the future, perhaps. 😜

Edit: As for members selling/trading w/each other, I think it could be good. I suppose Paypal makes that sort of thing pretty easy. I haven't sold any camera gear before but when I do I probably would list stuff here first since you all are the best. Then go to ebay or something if no-one here wants it. I suppose that could result in some great deals for us, since we could bypass the fees associated with a service like ebay (there's the Facebook marketplace and such but what a hot mess that is haha). Does Paypal charge a fee for transactions like that? I guess they must. Ehh, I'm obviously not the best person to chime in on this.

Quote from JBP on February 18, 2022, 2:58 pm
Quote from Snappy on February 18, 2022, 12:26 pm

That's a really neat idea, but those hurdles you point out are pretty big. It seems like it could become a second job over time especially as the forum grows. The shipping one is big... I suppose someday it could be easy and virtually free. Just send your drone out! "Beep beep. Hello good Sir, please, take a Takumar. Goodbye. Bzzzzzzzzz"

An idyllic view of the future, perhaps. 😜

Edit: As for members selling/trading w/each other, I think it could be good. I suppose Paypal makes that sort of thing pretty easy. I haven't sold any camera gear before but when I do I probably would list stuff here first since you all are the best. Then go to ebay or something if no-one here wants it. I suppose that could result in some great deals for us, since we could bypass the fees associated with a service like ebay (there's the Facebook marketplace and such but what a hot mess that is haha). Does Paypal charge a fee for transactions like that? I guess they must. Ehh, I'm obviously not the best person to chime in on this.

You can skip the PayPal fees but then you get no buyer protection. If you allow the fees you get some level of buyer protection, but honestly I have never had to file a dispute before so I'm not sure how good it is. Always trust the seller is really the best way to go for transactions outside of these major platforms.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Happy snappin' 🙂