Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Urban photography observation and gear

The other day I decided to take a photo trip into Boston MA, I live about 25 miles away.  I have not been to the city in awhile and wanted to just walk around and "snap" whatever interested me.  I packed a medium camera bag with a Pentax KP, 35mm/50mm lens, Pentax Q, standard prime and standard zoom. a cheap film point and shoot, a small pocket camcorder/size of a small phone and batteries and a few minor items.  Discovered very quickly, when walking the weight of the shoulder bag was going to tax me later.  Get to the point:  I only used the Pentax Q because I could hold it in my hand, no one could see it and I could just swing it out and snap a picture. I now know why a simple small fixed focal length camera is a great piece of gear.  I could have just had the Q in a mini bag with a few batteries, extra SD cards or even put it in my pocket.  Only challenge I had was making sure I held the camera without my hot hands over the lens and smudge.  Just an observation, lesson learned 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP5678.jpg
  • IMGP5694.jpg
James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 5 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBrucekcphotogeekJBPwhereSsEckyH

Great shots!!

The Pentax Q is a magical little device. The quality it gets just does not make sense.

Carrying a DSLR with a shoulder bag is a recipe for a lopsided body you have to fix in physical therapy (take it from me). If you really want to go trekking with your bigger cam, think about a waist pack or a backpack with good straps across the front.

SpruceBruce, JBP and whereSs have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBPwhereSs

@TSTS You sound like me a shoulder bag with 3/4 cameras, I've often gone out with the GR III,Pentax MX-1 and Pentax Q with Telephoto zoom. But I really don't use my Q enough, battery life is a bit of a drawback but other than that it's fantastic. I like the Telephoto zoom which was used in the all of the pics below. I got a K to Q adapter last month looking to get out with it in the coming days, I'm going to use the 10-17mm Fisheye lens on the Q as a portrait zoom. Will share the results here somewhere good or bad

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP4214.jpg
  • IMGP4295-Edit.jpg
  • IMGP4303-Edit.jpg
James Warner, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceTSTSJBP
Kieran

This is what I packed, though I changed the film camera, went for a lighter weight camera!

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20220725_074936058.jpg
SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Quote from kcphotogeek on July 28, 2022, 3:12 pm

@TSTS You sound like me a shoulder bag with 3/4 cameras, I've often gone out with the GR III,Pentax MX-1 and Pentax Q with Telephoto zoom. But I really don't use my Q enough, battery life is a bit of a drawback but other than that it's fantastic. I like the Telephoto zoom which was used in the all of the pics below. I got a K to Q adapter last month looking to get out with it in the coming days, I'm going to use the 10-17mm Fisheye lens on the Q as a portrait zoom. Will share the results here somewhere good or bad

The color in those skies is magnificent. The last one is simply incredible. 🤯

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from TSTS on July 27, 2022, 10:42 am

The other day I decided to take a photo trip into Boston MA, I live about 25 miles away.  I have not been to the city in awhile and wanted to just walk around and "snap" whatever interested me.  I packed a medium camera bag with a Pentax KP, 35mm/50mm lens, Pentax Q, standard prime and standard zoom. a cheap film point and shoot, a small pocket camcorder/size of a small phone and batteries and a few minor items.  Discovered very quickly, when walking the weight of the shoulder bag was going to tax me later.  Get to the point:  I only used the Pentax Q because I could hold it in my hand, no one could see it and I could just swing it out and snap a picture. I now know why a simple small fixed focal length camera is a great piece of gear.  I could have just had the Q in a mini bag with a few batteries, extra SD cards or even put it in my pocket.  Only challenge I had was making sure I held the camera without my hot hands over the lens and smudge.  Just an observation, lesson learned 🙂

@tsts Something I've learned is less is more.  I used to carry multiple bodies and lenses.  I now try to stick to a single body and have 2-3 lenses that cover my needs, and to definitely eliminate redundancy.  I try to rotate my gear daily as well, and get even use out of my various setups and film cameras.  Unless I'm at a sporting event or an Airshow where it's just easier to have a fixed 24-80 and then my telephoto setup on their own body to make a quick transition and eliminate the potential of a dirty sensor.

I also think back to when I was happy to have an entry level DSLR and some basic kit lenses.  The minimal setup worked perfect for me to concentrate on my creativity instead.  Instead of being anxious and distracted by what gear I should be using.

James Warner, TSTS and JBP have reacted to this post.
James WarnerTSTSJBP
Quote from SpruceBruce on July 28, 2022, 8:28 pm

I also think back to when I was happy to have an entry level DSLR and some basic kit lenses.  The minimal setup worked perfect for me to concentrate on my creativity instead.  Instead of being anxious and distracted by what gear I should be using.

I think back to that as well. My K200D and 18-55 went everywhere with me. Then it was my K-3 + 18-135mm. I do love playing with my other cameras and having more/better lens options, but it does start to complicate things.

It took me until last year to realize I should just bring my Ricoh GR. I always did the same thing as you an brought at least 4 cameras once I covered my compact, midrange, film, etc lol. I was missing shots or having some cameras unused and I just kept doing it. I think I would be fine with a bigger camera if it wasn't for also traveling with children. The pocket camera is perfect to take a quick snap and then put it in my pocket to have both hands free to stop my child from throwing french fries at the patrons next to us 🙂 And then the GR shots are just spectacular in my opinion. So one camera that you gel with really well is my take on it.

Now if you're going for some more specific trip, that's the time to be more specialized and bring a particular setup for particular scenes you want to capture. But for traveling one camera is my two cents. 🙂

Beau Carpenter and TSTS have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterTSTS
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from TSTS on July 27, 2022, 10:42 am

@tsts Something I've learned is less is more.  I used to carry multiple bodies and lenses.  I now try to stick to a single body and have 2-3 lenses that cover my needs, and to definitely eliminate redundancy.  I try to rotate my gear daily as well, and get even use out of my various setups and film cameras.  Unless I'm at a sporting event or an Airshow where it's just easier to have a fixed 24-80 and then my telephoto setup on their own body to make a quick transition and eliminate the potential of a dirty sensor.

Quote from James Warner on July 29, 2022, 3:17 am

I think back to that as well. My K200D and 18-55 went everywhere with me. Then it was my K-3 + 18-135mm. I do love playing with my other cameras and having more/better lens options, but it does start to complicate things.

It took me until last year to realize I should just bring my Ricoh GR. I always did the same thing as you an brought at least 4 cameras once I covered my compact, midrange, film, etc lol. I was missing shots or having some cameras unused and I just kept doing it. I think I would be fine with a bigger camera if it wasn't for also traveling with children. The pocket camera is perfect to take a quick snap and then put it in my pocket to have both hands free to stop my child from throwing french fries at the patrons next to us 🙂 And then the GR shots are just spectacular in my opinion. So one camera that you gel with really well is my take on it.

Now if you're going for some more specific trip, that's the time to be more specialized and bring a particular setup for particular scenes you want to capture. But for traveling one camera is my two cents. 🙂

You both make great points. It does get more complicated with more gear. Especially with ankle-biters. I'm trying to simplify and lighten my kit in general. Lighter lenses, fewer of them. No flash unless I know I'll use it. I have a DSLR...take advantage of the perks: one battery will do fine for a day trip (who am I kidding, I'm bringing a spare... sigh).

Of course there are exceptions like you said, @sprucebruce. On a kayak I don't want to change lenses. Two bodies makes sense.

Often one camera, one lens, no bag makes a lot of sense. Hikes with a kid on your back. A museum (one wide angle is fine) or zoo (18-135 is made for this).

@james-warner-b You're so right, often a pocket camera would be best. Simple, small, discrete, can be used one handed. One less thing to worry about and juggle on a family trip. I should try to use and enjoy the Canon G7X more. I doubt I'd be able to limit myself to just that on a vacation, but it's fantastic and would be perfect for a trip to the city, museum, fair, etc. That may be my ultimate small and light urban kit right there.

TSTS has reacted to this post.
TSTS

I agree with the above points as I said over in the July photos thread I need to trim my gear. I’m fine with 2 bodies for landscape and travel as you really don’t want to be changing lenses in humid or rainy conditions like you get here in the Philippines, but three is too much.

Urban is different in that I take up to 3 cameras out sometimes but they are all small and have roles for example the GR III, MX-1 (standard zoom) and Q w/06 Telephoto zoom. More recently I’ll swap in a GXR S10 for the MX-1. If I want to take video/timelapse I’ll bring the GX80 and leave  one of the original 3 at home

The only time I’ll take a larger camera out for urban is at night or in the rain and then it tends to be one camera one lens. Some day maybe Ricoh will release a GR zoom with good video and timelapse, oh yeah and weather sealing…wouldn’t that be wonderful

TSTS and JBP have reacted to this post.
TSTSJBP
Kieran

This conversation was on my mind for a recent trip to the city. I decided to do myself a favor and pack light. I was going to just use my point and shoot Canon G7X. I did bring my K-3 and bag full of lenses to have in the car just in case... I couldn't leave home without it, but it stayed there and the Canon got the job done just fine.

The camera only came with a wrist strap and I realized that's part of the reason I don't use it more - I need to be able to free both hands quickly and not have the camera flop around on my wrist. So I bought a $10 neck strap and suddenly I feel like I have the most convenient camera ever. Great for a long day of walking all around. So thanks for this thread and spurring me to think about doing things differently! Sometimes less is more. 🙂

Here's some shots from the city.

IMG_2465 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMG_2609 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMG_2602 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMG_2673 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Beau Carpenter, TSTS and EckyH have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterTSTSEckyH