Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Update for Old Camera Catalog

By the way, we need to have a brainstorming session for a name for this website. Old camera catalog? Digital camera catalog? I guess digital should be in there because I am focusing only on older digital cameras. Ideas are welcome.

New version available to preview/give feedback. I am still working on stuff but figured I'd deploy what I have and get some more help as I go.

https://old-camera-catalog.web.app/search

• 30+ New attributes to the camera page. Deciding which of these to make filterable on the first page.
  • Filter by camera type to include compact
  • For interchangeable lens camera, you can now see which lens types you can possibly adapt on the camera page

Thanks!

Tristan Carlos and denniscrommett have reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlosdenniscrommett
Happy snappin' 🙂

Looking good!

I think the "old camera catalog" works. Thinking ahead, I think a lot of these old digital cameras will be considered "classic" or "vintage". That said, my idea is to incorporate one of these two words into the name of the site. Maybe "classic digital camera catalogue" or "vintage digital camera catalogue"?

In the future, when these old cameras are indeed considered classic or vintage, then you're already there. 🙂

I really like the lens flange distance section. Perhaps, it would be good to have this as a diagram of some sort is generic enough so you can use it on all pages?

Another idea that popped up is when the user clicks a camera, other than seeing the images of the camera itself, maybe you have affiliate links to used camera dealers and ebay with a search key. Maybe even a link to Flickr to see the images captured by the camera. (just thinking out loud haha)

Curious, are you planning to optimize for Google search?

Quote from tristancarlos on April 3, 2022, 7:19 pm

Looking good!

I think the "old camera catalog" works. Thinking ahead, I think a lot of these old digital cameras will be considered "classic" or "vintage". That said, my idea is to incorporate one of these two words into the name of the site. Maybe "classic digital camera catalogue" or "vintage digital camera catalogue"?

In the future, when these old cameras are indeed considered classic or vintage, then you're already there. 🙂

I really like the lens flange distance section. Perhaps, it would be good to have this as a diagram of some sort is generic enough so you can use it on all pages?

Another idea that popped up is when the user clicks a camera, other than seeing the images of the camera itself, maybe you have affiliate links to used camera dealers and ebay with a search key. Maybe even a link to Flickr to see the images captured by the camera. (just thinking out loud haha)

Curious, are you planning to optimize for Google search?

Great thoughts, thanks for the help. I am still figuring out how exactly I want it, but I do plan on adding flickr gallery links, links to original reviews (DPReview is a great resource, among others for early digital cameras), and then affiliate links.

I haven't given much thought towards Google search optimization, but at some point I need to think about that. Would be good if the site was easy to find from searchers.

Happy snappin' 🙂

Looking super nice!

When do you think you'll be launch, officially? I think it's looking quite usable as-is!

Quote from ahoyhere on April 25, 2022, 7:40 pm

Looking super nice!

When do you think you'll be launch, officially? I think it's looking quite usable as-is!

I think I could release now and at least get some more feedback as more people flood into it and break stuff.

Im halfway through building out the registration/login/comment features, but then life got way busy and will be busy for the next month or so. We'll see. Thanks for all your help so far! Hopefully it'll be a useful resource once it's loaded up and live 🙂

Happy snappin' 🙂