Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Upcoming old gear

Hi all,

So it's been a while I have had this old Canon EF 28mm f2.8 from my friend from Norway who gave it to me.

In the past I have bought some Canon Digital cameras 2nd hand like a 50D (2 weeks after I bought it the shutter just passed away. But I sent it back), a 5D Mark I that had sensor issues after a day of rain (no weather sealed), and a 7D Mark I I bought and then passed it to my friend as I was not using it much. The idea was for me that I was starting to show at some Formula 1 events to bring the 7D and the 28mm f2.8 lens to the Races and as usually (pre-pandemic) Canon used to bring stuff to borrow to the photographers, ask for a tele lens there and pack lite.

I have also rented a 7D mark I for a Formula 1 Grand Prix and I was able to borrow a 400mm lens and also a 70-200mm f2.8 lens and they worked.

I must admit I am not such fan of Canon, their plasticky cameras, the menus, and the overall experience. Specially I dislike that they do NOT have in-body stabilization. Yes, this is one phenomenal feature I love from Pentax.

Now, the thing is my friend that already gave me the 28mm lens, asked me to buy him some model cars. And his brother who is a superb Rally photographer just was selling all of his gear. At one point I asked my friend "look, you owe me this amount and your brother is selling his camera for the same amount, so why not exchanging?".

Now a detail: My friend is coming to visit Barcelona in a few weeks with his family so will bring the Canon camera to me from Norway. We sealed the deal months ago though.

As you might or might not remember I am shooting motorsports with Pentax since always, and my main lens was my adored Sigma 100-300mm f4 but this one fall off to hit the floor from myself in 2020. And from then on it has never recovered. I just sent it twice to a lab, and it works great from 100 to 200mm but then it doesn't.

So, what did  I came up with? I have been months looking for a replacement lens for Pentax and nothing came up at a decent price, so I just bought a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 lens. It works. It gets the job done but, I am not as confortable with it and I find it slower than my Sigma.

So, the other day checking the internet I found that Sigma 100-300mm f4 for Canon on ebay and had to bid for it. Got it at 1/3rd of the price of the one and only Sigma 10-300mm f4 Pentax mount lens I was able to find for sale in Europe.

The idea is to use the Canon combo for some races and later on see what to do. I'd probably make one Pentax Sigma 100-300mm f4 lens from two lenses. Yes, I miss my lens THAT much xD

But i will keep you posted, because I might also just re-sell all the Canon stuff and get something completely diferent.

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

This will be a good test! Using a different system but with your favorite lens and one you're very familiar with. Those third party lens options for Pentax, the few that are even available, have really inflated prices due to scarcity. That alone almost makes it worth it to swap. Just knowing you'll have cheaper backup options when something fails in the future.

Anyway, sounds fun!

Happy snappin' 🙂