Please or Register to create posts and topics.

University Inauguration 2023

Here is some of my best picture that i take during university inauguration in Jogjakarta.

I took all of this picture with nothing but my Nikon D40 & 50mm f1.4G prime lens that i rented for 10$ per day 🙂 . It works beyond my expectation because it turns out to be properly exposed with manual settings at 800ISO, f1.8 & 1/100 - 1/160. The result gonna be much different if i'm using my 18-105mm, even though i crank it up to 1600ISO with more noticeable noise.

Anyway if you want to follow me on instagram, search @stefanus_adjie

If you have Facebook, usually i post a thing or two inside "Classic Nikon DSLRs" group, my username is Adjie Arp
Cheerio, 73'

Uploaded files:
  • DSC_1264.JPG
  • DSC_1309.JPG
  • DSC_1317.JPG
  • DSC_1333.JPG
  • DSC_1357.JPG
James Warner, KankRat and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerKankRatSpruceBruce
Quote from Adjie Arp on January 19, 2024, 2:58 pm

Here is some of my best picture that i take during university inauguration in Jogjakarta.

I took all of this picture with nothing but my Nikon D40 & 50mm f1.4G prime lens that i rented for 10$ per day 🙂 . It works beyond my expectation because it turns out to be properly exposed with manual settings at 800ISO, f1.8 & 1/100 - 1/160. The result gonna be much different if i'm using my 18-105mm, even though i crank it up to 1600ISO with more noticeable noise.

If you have Facebook, usually i post a thing or two inside "Classic Nikon DSLRs" group, my username is Adjie Arp
Cheerio, 73'

Great work with that old body! That looks like a much better graduation ceremony than I ever had in the United States 😂

I have the 1.8D lens, and it's great for how cheap it is. I'm still learning about the F mount and what lenses are in that system worth grabbing. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

Adjie Arp has reacted to this post.
Adjie Arp
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on January 19, 2024, 5:56 pm

Cheerio, 73'

Great work with that old body! That looks like a much better graduation ceremony than I ever had in the United States 😂

I have the 1.8D lens, and it's great for how cheap it is. I'm still learning about the F mount and what lenses are in that system worth grabbing. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears!

this is a nice set of pix.  Personally I feel like I take better photos with primes. Could just be psychological. A nice prime for that D40 would be the 35mm 1.8 DX. I 

Hopefully not to hijack Adjie's post. 

D lenses are a great bargain.  The caveat is that the camera must have a motor built in order to autofocus them.  So D40, D60 and any of the D3xx x or D5xxx are a no-go.  The pre-D series was just called AF and they lack distance info going to the camera.  I think this is mainly for flash, which I use.  I believe there are optical differences too on some.  G  means that the aperture ring is gone and the aperture is controlled electronically thru the camera.  To me the largest advantage of a G over D is manual focus on the fly.  No switch.  Just overall they are more modern and I think they operate better. Often not a huge price difference from D.  For all practical purposes I would rather shoot G over D. that said I own a few d lenses and they are sweet. 

I just got the 60mm D f2.8 micro (Nikon speak for macro)  Basically a smoking deal on a mint copy I could not pass up.  So far I have not used it enough to evaluate.  It's very sharp, nice build quality.  Got it mainly to use for portraits on my DX camera. 

I have the 85mm f1.4 D.  This is an absolute killer portrait lens. I mean it's amazing wide open.  What portraits I shot came out really nice.

I have the Tokina 100mm f2.8 a really clean copy, but for macro - mainly insects it's a clunky lens. Other than that, like the internet says it's really sharp, colors are good. Lots of CA typical of Tokina.  It's pretty much a D style lens. No built in AF motor.  I shot with the 105mm Nikkor G and it walks allover this lens in every way other than price and weight.

I am eyeballing a 50 1.4 G.  Might get that next week. 

Also want a 28mm f2.8 AI-S. Partially for Nikon nerd collector purposes. this is supposed to be a really great lens for it's time.

at some point if I find great deals, I want to get a 20 and 24mm prime not sure what edition. 

If a great deal emerged on a 105mm f2.5 AI-S (the Afghan girl lens) I would grab that.  Ditto on the 135mm f2.8 AI-S.

Then there is is this.....

https://fstoppers.com/reviews/best-portrait-lens-youve-never-heard-nikon-135mm-f2-3099

and it's little brother the 105mm.

Okay, I'll stop there.

JBP and Adjie Arp have reacted to this post.
JBPAdjie Arp
Quote from James Warner on January 19, 2024, 5:56 pm

Cheerio, 73'

D lenses are great, it is usually cheaper option but still reliable if you have internal motor focus on your camera. The focusing speed is almost as fast as AFS lens.