Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ugly photography Solutions

I've built this monstrosity (apologies about the photo quality) to support a 50-200 Four thirds lens on an Em10 MkII. I got the lens cheap on an E-1 body but it didn't come with a lens collar. I was surprised there wasn't a reasonably priced universal lens collar out there so this was the best I could come up with. The biggest issue I had was raising the camera body up hence the need for the two Swiss cheese plates.

I ended up spending around £50 on all the small rig bits so I do wonder if I should have simply held out for a lens with collar. However, I do envisage the components will be useful in the future.

What are your ugly photography solutions?

Uploaded files:
  • 20220616_211805.jpg
KankRat, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
KankRatBeau CarpenterJBPgrover

Nicely done! I didn't see this thread until now. Hmm... I do have some solutions that are kind of standard fare I guess but I do consider them ugly.

One is a rubber band and flash gel around my flash to change the color temperature for indoor shooting. I don't know if it's a rare or typical thing to do or not but it works...and looks silly. lol I'll attach a photo of the product image out of laziness. 😆

Uploaded files:
  • 71k5BS2vZqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Beau Carpenter and Lim have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterLim
Quote from JBP on August 13, 2022, 6:23 pm

Nicely done! I didn't see this thread until now. Hmm... I do have some solutions that are kind of standard fare I guess but I do consider them ugly.

One is a rubber band and flash gel around my flash to change the color temperature for indoor shooting. I don't know if it's a rare or typical thing to do or not but it works...and looks silly. lol I'll attach a photo of the product image out of laziness. 😆

I think making something universal can make for ugly solutions.

This is another example small lens, big filter and 7 step up rings. I thankfully don't use filters often but would rather have a smaller set as well.

Uploaded files:
  • P8130209.JPG
Beau Carpenter and JBP have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterJBP

Ah! I do that as well! t's so ugly. 🤣 So many step up rings...but I save so much on filters.

Quote from Lim on August 13, 2022, 8:39 pm

This is another example small lens, big filter and 7 step up rings. I thankfully don't use filters often but would rather have a smaller set as well.

I have definitely done exactly that. In fact, you can see some of it in my latest filter review with my Ricoh GR and a bjillion step up rings 😀

I guess I'm not as creative as I used to be. I have had some ugly setups in the past. Mounted my DSLR to a pool cleaning pole so I could take shots 10+ feet up. Made a DIY waterproof housing for a lightning capture setup. Those were both as a teenager. Now I'm older (wiser?) and not as cool 🙂 Love seeing other peoples setups though.

Beau Carpenter, JBP and EckyH have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterJBPEckyH
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on August 15, 2022, 2:16 am
Quote from Lim on August 13, 2022, 8:39 pm

I have definitely done exactly that. In fact, you can see some of it in my latest filter review with my Ricoh GR and a bjillion step up rings 😀

I guess I'm not as creative as I used to be. I have had some ugly setups in the past. Mounted my DSLR to a pool cleaning pole so I could take shots 10+ feet up. Made a DIY waterproof housing for a lightning capture setup. Those were both as a teenager. Now I'm older (wiser?) and not as cool 🙂 Love seeing other peoples setups though.

I watched the video they look really useful