Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tripod head for people who hate tripods?

I've been stewing on this and thought I'd throw it out to the braintrust…

I hate tripods. They're so FIDDLY. I want to be able to quickly move and point my camera in different places, especially for things like outdoors macro, etc. I like to move around… I can't imagine the different perspective I'll get from moving the camera in my mind, I have to see it through the viewfinder or on the screen.

What I'd love is a really fast and easy to move head. Having to adjust knobs to make a move is a big turn-off.

Thoughts??

Hmm have you tried a trigger release ball head? There are good number of reputable maufacturers (manfrotto, slik, etc) that make super sturdy ones.

Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on May 18, 2022, 4:45 pm

Hmm have you tried a trigger release ball head? There are good number of reputable maufacturers (manfrotto, slik, etc) that make super sturdy ones.

This could be a good solution. I owned one for a little bit (came in a lot of other gear). Like this one, but an older model: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303591-REG/Manfrotto_322RC2_322RC2_Grip_Action_Ballhead.html (that one is $200!)

Another option would be a video fluid head. You still have one knob to twist, but it sticks out by itself, and maybe that workflow works better for you.

Happy snappin' 🙂

Oooh thanks, Justin and James!

I didn't know this type of head existed. Brilliant!

Thanks to your pointers, I found this one which looks pretty ergonomic and is $90 and not $200:

Uploaded files:
  • Screen-Shot-2022-05-18-at-2.21.10-PM.png