Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Toying with getting into Nikon for wildlife, but which camera/lens?

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from KankRat on November 18, 2021, 6:25 pm

Wish I could afford a D850.  That way you have essentially a D500 built into a full frame camera.  It's like 9 fps if you put a grip on it and shoot in crop mode.  You have about the same resolution as a D500 once you chop it down to aps-c.

Best of both worlds.  Hopefully it will come down some day.

I’m pretty content with just a crop body for wildlife, since I have my K-1 for all my other work I want to do. The D850 is a sweet camera though and would be a great one-in-all. Kinda what the K-1 would be if it wasn’t so dang slow… xD I love it for landscape, portrait, walk around, astrophotography, it’s awesome. Even wildlife goes fine for larger animals or things not moving as quick. I’m really not complaining, I have some sweet cameras.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on November 18, 2021, 7:13 pm

Wish I could afford a D850.  That way you have essentially a D500 built into a full frame camera.  It's like 9 fps if you put a grip on it and shoot in crop mode.  You have about the same resolution as a D500 once you chop it down to aps-c.

I’m pretty content with just a crop body for wildlife, since I have my K-1 for all my other work I want to do. The D850 is a sweet camera though and would be a great one-in-all. Kinda what the K-1 would be if it wasn’t so dang slow… xD I love it for landscape, portrait, walk around, astrophotography, it’s awesome. Even wildlife goes fine for larger animals or things not moving as quick. I’m really not complaining, I have some sweet cameras.

is the AF on the KP that bad?  was a K3II better?  one thing you'll lose is the weather sealing.  I don't think Nikon is on par with Pentax. I often thought of picking up a K5 or K3 as a fishing / kayak camera. Just with one of those XX-300mm WR zooms.

Some videos I've seen a Pentax can survive a dunking.  I don't think a  Nikon will, for sure the lens wont.

I know though that if  do that 'll start collecting the awesome little primes they make.  Those are so cool.

Quote from KankRat on November 18, 2021, 7:58 pm

is the AF on the KP that bad?  was a K3II better?  one thing you'll lose is the weather sealing.  I don't think Nikon is on par with Pentax. I often thought of picking up a K5 or K3 as a fishing / kayak camera. Just with one of those XX-300mm WR zooms.

Some videos I've seen a Pentax can survive a dunking.  I don't think a  Nikon will, for sure the lens wont.

I know though that if  do that 'll start collecting the awesome little primes they make.  Those are so cool.

The KP feels the same as the K3 to me, and that is plenty fast for stationary things, and okay with moving things but not great. I wouldn’t call it “bad”. I’ve only recently felt like I’ve pushed it past it’s limits. I have plenty of shots to prove it can take pictures of moving subjects, and others have even better examples. It especially helps if the target is larger (like an Egret slowly gliding over a lake). But there’s enough times where it struggles when I think a modern camera I spend X dollars on shouldn’t. Like the other day I went out and shot snowy egrets across a small pond and got 0 shots in focus when they were moving. Usually I get a decent percentage, but this was one of those times where I’m pretty sure another camera could’ve figured it out better.

From what I’m hearing about the new K3III, it’s gotten faster but not really any more confident or better at tracking moving subjects. Well, there’s actually a lot of opinions out there about it, but the ones where people are doing close to what I’m doing that’s what I’m hearing. Still the best Pentax right now for AF. I was going to hold out and buy one as they are dropping in price really fast, but I think I’ll wait even longer. Might be a later 2022 or 2023 camera for me to try out.

A K3 with that 55-300 PLM version lens would be a really sweet setup for kayaking, and pretty inexpensive. Pretty small and light but packs a good sensor and features. I love the body design. Weather sealing is really nice, and I’ve taken advantage of that before. I’d be confident in a kayak if it accidentally got splashed. I actually keep thinking about picking a K3 up again just because I love them so much. And they’re like $300 now.

I’m hanging onto my K10D for some of the crop sensor lenses Pentax makes. I really love the K10D for walk-around kinds of photography. I think the colors it puts out by itself are really nice.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on November 18, 2021, 8:22 pm

The KP feels the same as the K3 to me, and that is plenty fast for stationary things, and okay with moving things but not great. I wouldn’t call it “bad”. I’ve only recently felt like I’ve pushed it past it’s limits. I have plenty of shots to prove it can take pictures of moving subjects, and others have even better examples. It especially helps if the target is larger (like an Egret slowly gliding over a lake). But there’s enough times where it struggles when I think a modern camera I spend X dollars on shouldn’t. Like the other day I went out and shot snowy egrets across a small pond and got 0 shots in focus when they were moving. Usually I get a decent percentage, but this was one of those times where I’m pretty sure another camera could’ve figured it out better.

From what I’m hearing about the new K3III, it’s gotten faster but not really any more confident or better at tracking moving subjects. Well, there’s actually a lot of opinions out there about it, but the ones where people are doing close to what I’m doing that’s what I’m hearing. Still the best Pentax right now for AF. I was going to hold out and buy one as they are dropping in price really fast, but I think I’ll wait even longer. Might be a later 2022 or 2023 camera for me to try out.

A K3 with that 55-300 PLM version lens would be a really sweet setup for kayaking, and pretty inexpensive. Pretty small and light but packs a good sensor and features. I love the body design. Weather sealing is really nice, and I’ve taken advantage of that before. I’d be confident in a kayak if it accidentally got splashed. I actually keep thinking about picking a K3 up again just because I love them so much. And they’re like $300 now.

I’m hanging onto my K10D for some of the crop sensor lenses Pentax makes. I really love the K10D for walk-around kinds of photography. I think the colors it puts out by itself are really nice.

take a look at this video and see if you are doing everything he says. this was a game changer for me.

Quote from KankRat on November 18, 2021, 8:33 pm
Quote from Snappy on November 18, 2021, 8:22 pm

take a look at this video and see if you are doing everything he says. this was a game changer for me.

https://youtu.be/FzqQskGoURE

Yes, always! Even with my kids. Means I can stay in AF-C and still do focus recompose as well.

Happy snappin' 🙂

The reason I was asking a friend of mine forgot to disengage the shutter Botton from AF. Defeating the whole purpose.

Just an FYI, with the D7200/ 300mm f4 AF-S , I still rely on one AF point and I just try to keep it on the bird as it's flying.  As far as the camera doing that "tracking" thing, it hasn't worked for me.  Maybe it would on the D7500 or D500.  I tried that 3D focus also.  That was useless.

I was able to get most of what i shot in focus with the 70-300mm but the 300 prime is in another class for speed.

Talking to people in the field, the 150-600mm lenses focus too slowly for BIF.  I have no idea of the skill level of these people, but that was the general consensus.

If we lived closer I would let you try out the Nikon.

As you thought, I thought the same about the K3-III or the D500.

And after testing briefly the D500 I had quite sure what to do, go for a D500. Now, they are quite expensive in Europe (around 1000 euros + lenses  + Memory Card + grip, yes I use a grip. I love to use grips xD) So that puts us more into the 2000€. And this is a big deal.

For me is about time, wait and find a bargain and more likely will swich. At least isn't as expensive as the K3-III that I adored, but the buffer can't hold on.And this is an issue.

By now I am getting a Canon 7D Mk-I as a payment from a friend in late March and maybe i'll use this for a while (he also gave me a 28mm years ago) or would sell out both camera and lens and also my Canon M10 and just go for the D500.

It isn't easy, right? I just got a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 (K-Mount, Pentax) at a great price in order to replace the main use lens (the Sigma 100-300mm f4, with displaced optics and nobody seems to be able to repair well), and will see what to do next but I am also in the same mental debate you find yourself now.

So i will try to follow this topic 🙂

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo
Quote from red5isalive on January 1, 2022, 11:04 am

As you thought, I thought the same about the K3-III or the D500.

And after testing briefly the D500 I had quite sure what to do, go for a D500. Now, they are quite expensive in Europe (around 1000 euros + lenses  + Memory Card + grip, yes I use a grip. I love to use grips xD) So that puts us more into the 2000€. And this is a big deal.

For me is about time, wait and find a bargain and more likely will swich. At least isn't as expensive as the K3-III that I adored, but the buffer can't hold on.And this is an issue.

By now I am getting a Canon 7D Mk-I as a payment from a friend in late March and maybe i'll use this for a while (he also gave me a 28mm years ago) or would sell out both camera and lens and also my Canon M10 and just go for the D500.

It isn't easy, right? I just got a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 (K-Mount, Pentax) at a great price in order to replace the main use lens (the Sigma 100-300mm f4, with displaced optics and nobody seems to be able to repair well), and will see what to do next but I am also in the same mental debate you find yourself now.

So i will try to follow this topic 🙂

I'm not sure how much buffer would be an issue for me on the K-3III. I don't have a lot of circumstances where I stay on the shutter very long. But maybe I will hit it much faster because the frame rate is so much faster, whereas some of the older cameras I have used almost have an unlimited buffer because the FPS is so slow 😂

I might have managed to procure a K-3III for a really good price so if that deal goes through I'll be trying it out later this month. This will be my way of seeing if I stick with this setup for wildlife/action or dabble in Nikon for a while.

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Happy snappin' 🙂

That is a great idea.

I mean, as a camera it is lovely the K3-III. The menus, when you get used to them, are fantastic and very quick (some say very similar to the K1 ones, I never used a K1).

As for handling, it is perfect. For me everything is layout where it should be. It is easy to understand how to use it. It is quick to get used to it. You have "quick" buttons like the ones to choose if you want to use the crop factor or not, or some other quick options.

I don't know, i felt home super fast in the K3-III. It is so well thought, everything is simple to reach.

As for the D500 menus aren't as intuitive, layout is different, they attach and remove lenses the other way around (weird! xD) and overall it requires time to adapt. I mean usual things like setting shutter speed and so on isn't that hard though.

But the D500 can use the way faster XQD series and that is a blast. Yes it is true maybe neither you neither I need that speed, but when you get it it is welcomed. In the K3-III tends to happen the same as in their predecessors, that once you shoot and you want to check how well or bad the images are, you need to wait. And for me this time can mean one lap at the track for the upcoming cars (1 minute, 2 minutes....) and it takes away from me the chance to use again the camera. Maybe on the K3-III isn't that bad but I found myself waiting. And that is an important downside.

But yes, sure, if you can, grab it, borrow it, steal it, whatever xD But try it out. I felt in love with it's layout and how good the ergonomics are for my hand (small-medium hand size) and the layout of the buttons and also menus. And the camera itself a part from the buffer thing.

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo
PreviousPage 2 of 2