Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Toying with getting into Nikon for wildlife, but which camera/lens?

Page 1 of 2Next

I wanted to go ahead and throw this out there to see if I can't get help thinking through this. I know you've probably all done the same thing when considering swapping out a camera. Try to put together a pros and cons list.

I'm thinking of finally swapping my Pentax KP for a Nikon for wildlife. I like my KP, but it's just a bit too much of a struggle for BIF. I'd like some better tracking. Second reason is while I love the DA* 300mm f4 (fantastic IQ), there are not many other lens options for Pentax especially in the super zoom lineup. The ones we do have are prohibitively expensive. Since I have a K-1 and am only using the KP for wildlife, it seems silly given these issues to stick with Pentax on this one.

I've thought about the D500. It's more than the KP used, but only about $400 more, which I could make up for selling my Teleconverter as well. D500 is legendary, no question about it's performance. I don't really know about the other models, like the D7200 or others that are cheaper and maybe for me a huge upgrade anyway? Or just spring for the d500 cuz I can?

But then I discovered that the z50 is WAY cheap on the used market right now. I'm all for bargains, and that camera has a lot going for it. Namely the ability to adapt other random lenses to, something that I can't do with my DSLRs as well. But it seems at the cost of not as good tracking, which is really the reason I was looking at the d500 in the first place. But once again, would the z50 be such an upgrade to me anyway that I wouldn't know what I'm missing?

Also the z50 means adding the FTZ adapter to use the available DSLR lenses. But still comes out a few hundred cheaper than the d500.

Both have adequate video capabilities for my needs, which means I could also sell my dedicated video camera (which I'm not even using to it's full potential).

Any thoughts from my Nikon owners? Or just people who want to poke fun at me trying to buy yet another camera?

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

I think the move to the D500 would be a solid choice, several of my wildlife photography buddies shoot on Nikon (one switched to Sony, another has been shooting on a T3i since 2014 and has no plans of changing) I'd say if the KP isn't meeting your expectations it's worth heading to a camera shop and trying out some older DSLRs, especially faster APS-Cs and finding which AF system you like the best, and you find quickest. From personal experience, I'd say the fastest focusing systems I've ever used have been my father's old Canon 7D MKII and the Canon R6.

Personally I do plan on picking up wildlife photography myself but for now that'd mean shooting on my K-3 II, I feel somewhat confident in my ability to shoot fast moving objects with that camera but I know there isn't really a Pentax made for sports or wildlife photography.

SpruceBruce
Quote from HeggenDazs on November 17, 2021, 8:06 pm

I think the move to the D500 would be a solid choice, several of my wildlife photography buddies shoot on Nikon (one switched to Sony, another has been shooting on a T3i since 2014 and has no plans of changing) I'd say if the KP isn't meeting your expectations it's worth heading to a camera shop and trying out some older DSLRs, especially faster APS-Cs and finding which AF system you like the best, and you find quickest. From personal experience, I'd say the fastest focusing systems I've ever used have been my father's old Canon 7D MKII and the Canon R6.

Personally I do plan on picking up wildlife photography myself but for now that'd mean shooting on my K-3 II, I feel somewhat confident in my ability to shoot fast moving objects with that camera but I know there isn't really a Pentax made for sports or wildlife photography.

I am really happy with my KP and even my K3 before it (just not at super high ISOs with my owl shots, the KP does awesome at that even up to 12,800). But I've found myself in a weird spot where wildlife photography isn't just one type of photography I do, but becoming the thing I do most, and all my photographic trips I plan now are just for wildlife. It's in part because Texas isn't exactly the most scenic spot for landscapes, at least not easy ones. So, my KP just has the DA* 300mm permanently affixed and that's all I use it for. Once I realized that, it just makes sense to swap out just the KP for a dedicated wildlife rig. I have my K-1, film cameras, and old cameras for all my other photography.

If I had to go one-camera to do multiple types of photography, I think it would still be the K-3. I'm just so partial to it. Love that camera.

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

So I run the Z50 with the FTZ adapter and the Tamron 150-600 G2, it’s a bit a of pricey initial investment, but it can’t be beat for the price.  I haven’t personally tried birds in flight, but it picks up airplanes no problem.  I previously owned the D7200, it’s built like a pro FX camera with all the controls on the Dx sensor.  Worked awesomely, I’d say the Z50 has a tad IQ advantage over it, the D500’s sensor is similar to the Z50’s, I just haven’t personally used it yet.  So I have no experience with it.  Another great cheap lens on the Nikon system is the 70-300 AF-P with VR, they can be found at decent prices and it was one of my favorites to shoot with too.

Yeah, if the FA 150-450 would drop I’d go for it, but its so expensive still....one day hopefully it’ll be cheap enough.

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Quote from SpruceBruce on November 18, 2021, 2:48 am

So I run the Z50 with the FTZ adapter and the Tamron 150-600 G2, it’s a bit a of pricey initial investment, but it can’t be beat for the price.  I haven’t personally tried birds in flight, but it picks up airplanes no problem.  I previously owned the D7200, it’s built like a pro FX camera with all the controls on the Dx sensor.  Worked awesomely, I’d say the Z50 has a tad IQ advantage over it, the D500’s sensor is similar to the Z50’s, I just haven’t personally used it yet.  So I have no experience with it.  Another great cheap lens on the Nikon system is the 70-300 AF-P with VR, they can be found at decent prices and it was one of my favorites to shoot with too.

Yeah, if the FA 150-450 would drop I’d go for it, but its so expensive still....one day hopefully it’ll be cheap enough.

That's good to know about the 7200, as it is a bit cheaper. The main advantages switching are price and availability of quality super telephotos (beyond 300mm) and much better tracking. The single AF isn't that bad on Pentax actually, but your subjects need to be still or moving slowly/parallel to you. But otherwise focusing on things moving is really really hard. I think I'm at the point now where the camera is holding me back, whereas before it was my techniques. I've researched the K-3III enough to think this really hasn't improved enough to bother upgrading just for that reason, though I may still rent one someday to see for myself.

Not sure how the AF tracking compares between Z50 mirrorless and D500 DSLR. From what I've read the D500 is still the winner, but the Z50 still looks to be a big improvement over what I'm trying now. Not sure. Leaning towards DSLR right now but the price and extra mirrorless features of the Z50 are really enticing.

Happy snappin' 🙂

I would look at a D7500. The camera the internet hates.  You might find a great deal.

I saw refurbs going for $600.  they are more now.

It was trashed on the web for :

• 1 card slot. (To me no big deal, I'm not shooting weddings)
  • Can't really use old manual AI-S lenses. (No big deal)
  • No battery grip. ( don't have one for my D7200, but I did for the D7000. Nice with a big lens, but very expensive and mine has play )

Advantages from my perspective over the D7200, which I own.

• #1 Flip UP screen, for low perspective shots.  To me this is a huge deal.  tired of my ear in the mud.
  • Less noise (supposedly)
  • Better AF
  • Faster frame rate and I think the RAW buffer is bigger

Here is a thorough review from Steve Perry who I learned a lot from over the years:

D7500 Review (Plus Comparison Vs D7200 and D500)

For a bird lens I would go with the 200-500mm i shot with it. It's really nice but holy cow is it heavy.

There are the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm too which are interesting.  I saw some interesting reviews.  One guy getting beautiful owl shots.

The 300mm PF is really, really cool. But expensive. Possibly the nicest lens I ever shot with.

The older version (AF-S) which I have makes great images , but can be really quirky.  the motors go.  It's a known problem.  I've replaced mine already.

James Warner and Beau Carpenter have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau Carpenter

Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember looking thru the viewfinder of the Z50 and it was tiny.  Deal breaker for me.

Quote from KankRat on November 18, 2021, 12:55 pm

I would look at a D7500. The camera the internet hates.  You might find a great deal.

• No battery grip. ( don't have one for my D7200, but I did for the D7000. Nice with a big lens, but very expensive and mine has play )

• #1 Flip UP screen, for low perspective shots.  To me this is a huge deal.  tired of my ear in the mud.
  • Better AF

Here is a thorough review from Steve Perry who I learned a lot from over the years:

For a bird lens I would go with the 200-500mm i shot with it. It's really nice but holy cow is it heavy.

There are the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm too which are interesting.  I saw some interesting reviews.  One guy getting beautiful owl shots.

The 300mm PF is really, really cool. But expensive. Possibly the nicest lens I ever shot with.

The older version (AF-S) which I have makes great images , but can be really quirky.  the motors go.  It's a known problem.  I've replaced mine already.

Okay, this is also really helpful! I'm going to take some time to digest what you suggested there and do some more research. That video was very helpful. I hadn't run into Steve Perry before, but I very much like his style of video - straight to the things that actually matter when comparing cameras. Also you can tell he really knows what he's doing.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on November 18, 2021, 4:58 pm
Quote from KankRat on November 18, 2021, 12:55 pm

• Better AF

Okay, this is also really helpful! I'm going to take some time to digest what you suggested there and do some more research. That video was very helpful. I hadn't run into Steve Perry before, but I very much like his style of video - straight to the things that actually matter when comparing cameras. Also you can tell he really knows what he's doing.

He is an awesome photographer.

Backcountry Gallery | Wildlife And Nature Photography By Steve Perry

Wish I could afford a D850.  That way you have essentially a D500 built into a full frame camera.  It's like 9 fps if you put a grip on it and shoot in crop mode.  You have about the same resolution as a D500 once you chop it down to aps-c.

Best of both worlds.  Hopefully it will come down some day.

SpruceBruce
Page 1 of 2Next