Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tough choices?????

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

For pets, do you already have a zoom that covers lower to mid ranges? Yesterday I took a few salvos of my Dad's dog running straight at us from afar.  I had the 18-135 on and it had the reach to get his sprint to us and then low focal end to get him running around once he got to us. For pets I feel like it's the perfect zoom range. For wildlife, not so much.

The 70-200 Tamron seems interesting because it would be a useful range for pets, and like was mentioned the f/2.8 would be wonderful. And if it is optically as good as it sounds then you could probably crop your way to a further effective zoom than you could with a lesser lens. You may find the Macro capabilities useful - I know pet owners often appreciate a close up of their dog's paw or eyes, that kind of thing, if they hold still long enough...

Sorry if I'm all over, just kind of thinking out loud. Maybe it will help you out in some way. I think of the options you listed the 70-200 is more versatile and that's what I'd go with. Of all the options mentioned here I think the 55-300 PLM would serve you best with its faster focus, wider and longer range, and for less cost, too.

I do have the entry Tamron 70-300mm which does have good reach and is fine for me but as I am in the process of starting to make money from this I need something that gives me that bit extra.

I have been looking at a Tam sp 70-135 and that has just derailed my thoughts so it has got even tougher.

I should be very grateful that I am fortunate to have this sort of dilemma.

On a side note I have seen the old F series did a 30-135mm lens so I could get that to see how I get on with that focal length.

If you want a great mid range zoom buy the Pentax 50-135mm f2.8 because it is a brilliant lens, but not as quick in AF. OR you can try to find the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 but this is even more rare.

I do shoot motorsport with the Pentax 50-135mm f2.8 and do portraiture with it, but it's not a quick lens. Neither is the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 though.

If you need the AF to be quick then Sigma is your answer all day long. I guess and is a guess, the 70.200mm is gonna be quicker than then Tamron and I know the rare 100-300mm F4 is quicker. And is a lens to have for quick moving objects.

Now does the Tamron 70-200mm have a great quality and optically good? It does. The detail on it is very good.

About the 55-300mm i would just get it IF budget is an impediment due to the fact that 2nd hand lenses are cheaper, and the other candidates have a better F stop range. Not sure how quick the AF on the 55-300mm is, the old AL was a pain in the ass (i had it) and the Sigma 100-300mm f4 outperforms it everyday anytime. Now with the new version I don't know, but keep in mind you loose F stops and then you might loose light and detail.

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 55-300mm PLM yet.

It's AF capabilities is a game changer. I know there's a lot of Youtubers that have reviewed this lens and vouched for its IQ and lightning fast AF and I would like to confirm that this is true. I just want to say that after a day of owning this lens, it is must-have for all Pentaxians. It is THAT good.

I own the DA* 300mm (in the process of selling it to get the FA* 300mm instead) and I'm more than happy to use the PLM over the DA* 300mm knowing that I'll sacrifice a little bit of IQ but gain so much more in-focus shots.

The attached images were shot yesterday (1st day of owning it) and had no time to set the camera properly. Wild geese flew above me and just started shooting away. All of my images were in focus. They're not the best of images but it's just to showcase that a newbie like me was able to lock in very easily and get those flying geese in focus without much effort.

Please note that the light was pretty bad when these shots were taken.

1st image: 300mm @ 6.3 1/2000s PP in Adobe camera RAW. Underexposed, had to pull the shadows up to get detail. (Sorry for the bad image!)
2nd image: cropped 1st image
3rd image: 300mm @ 6.3 1/2000s, shot was also severely underexposed but pulled the shadows up to recover some detail.

p.s. I'm confident to say, given my lack of skill, that I would've missed these shots with the DA* 300mm.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP9642.JPG
  • IMGP9642-2.JPG
  • IMGP9631.JPG
James Warner and JBP have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBP

I did mention it briefly but I don't have firsthand experience. But when everyone is saying how great something is...it just may be that great.  My birthday is this month. I want one. Your ringing endorsement just makes me want it all the more. haha I just haven't had the courage to bring it up with the wife yet, since I JUST bought another lens a week or so ago...

Like I said I don't have firsthand experience, but I think you're right that everyone that can should consider this lens. The value just seems through the roof and getting more keepers is a big deal.

BUT unless I'm mistaken it will only work on K-3 and later (more recent) camera bodies. Not sure what @lock5 has.

Quote from JBP on February 3, 2022, 4:32 pm

I did mention it briefly but I don't have firsthand experience. But when everyone is saying how great something is...it just may be that great.  My birthday is this month. I want one. Your ringing endorsement just makes me want it all the more. haha I just haven't had the courage to bring it up with the wife yet, since I JUST bought another lens a week or so ago...

Like I said I don't have firsthand experience, but I think you're right that everyone that can should consider this lens. The value just seems through the roof and getting more keepers is a big deal.

BUT unless I'm mistaken it will only work on K-3 and later (more recent) camera bodies. Not sure what @lock5 has.

Ahh sorry I missed that! 🙂

Yeah a brand new PLM can be had for less than half the price of a used DA* 300mm at least based on what I bought it for. It will work with K-30 and K-50 as well.

p.s. good luck convincing your wifey! 😀

@lock5 what camera do you have?

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

I have a k10d and a k3.

Which one is a PLM? I probably do know it but its not ringing any bells at the moment. The only reason I can look at these is I sold my Olympus m4/3 set up to come back to Pentax.

If I can throw my 2 cents in here. As mentioned above, the 55-300 plm is a superb lens. It's weather sealed, it has really fast focusing and it's got great centre sharpness. Price wise, it's a steal. In the UK, used, they're about £250, new, closer to £400. If you read up about it, you'll rarely find anything negative.

Check out the review's on Pentax Forum:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-55-300mm-f45-63-ed-plm-wr-re.html

Tristan Carlos and JBP have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosJBP
Quote from Lock5 on February 3, 2022, 10:21 pm

I have a k10d and a k3.

Which one is a PLM? I probably do know it but its not ringing any bells at the moment. The only reason I can look at these is I sold my Olympus m4/3 set up to come back to Pentax.

It's the newest 55-300mm on Pentax's lineup. The full name is:

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

PLM means that it uses a pulse motor. Simply put, it is blazingly quick to focus. It is compatible with your K-3 but not with your K10D.

Here in Germany, it can be had for 400 EUR brand new and used at around 250-300 EUR. However, I accidentally stumbled upon a flash sale from a reputable online shop for 330 EUR new. It was a no brainer at that price. In comparison, the Fuji XF 70-300mm is 800 EUR brand new. Yes, it is made of metal and has an aperture ring but I actually love the PLM's construction. It is so lightweight!

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

I've not been able to find it for less than $400 used here in the US ($450 new). I remember big discounts from B&H around the holidays. I think it was $350 new then. Kicking myself for mot getting it then.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next