Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tokina AT-X 400mm f5.6 SD AF KAF Mount

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from James Warner on March 21, 2022, 2:08 pm
Quote from KankRat on March 20, 2022, 1:32 am
Quote from James Warner on March 12, 2022, 5:09 pm
Quote from KankRat on March 11, 2022, 6:42 pm
Quote from James Warner on March 11, 2022, 12:32 pm

Wow, great pictures! I have seen this lens come up, or at least one of the other variants, every now and then. It does seem like this AT-X version is considerably more expensive than others for K mount at least. There's also an old Sigma 400/5.6 AF lens that can be had for just over $100 usually, but is rated quite a bit worse. But in the hands of the right photography I've seen some nice pictures with it. I'm impressed with what you got out of that one. Old telephoto lens CA can be pretty bad 😄

I see there is a 150-500mm.  This one went relatively cheap.   These don't have a reputation for being super duper sharp, far as I know. I wonder if they would shaperpen up if stopped down.

Sigma AF 150-500mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO Lens Pentax #512 | eBay

Pentax seems to get left out in the cold when it comes to third party.

Yeah, tell me about it 🙁 I'm thinking of swapping my 300 f4 + 1.4x teleconverter for the Pentax 150-450, which is highly regarded. It wouldn't be so much about getting something optically better, but just to have a flexible package. Putting on and off the teleconverter can be a bit of a hassle, and the old SDM focusing motor just isn't great. The old third party options are a lot cheaper, but as you said I've heard not very good. Too bad we don't have as many options as other mounts for good super zoom glass.

I think that would be a good move, if you could find a smoking deal on a clean copy.  That is not a cheap lens, I hope it lives up to the cost. Disappointing to hear about the AF on the 300mm .  The AF on the Nikon version is just ridiculous.  I think the motor is actually faster than the 20-500, but because the latter has VR I felt it was easier to get an AF point on target and nail the shot.

150-450 seems like a slightly better focal range than a 100-400mm, but again really kinda sucks that Tamron and Sigma have no modern teles for Pentax.

It's also weird that the Pentax wildlife combo K3III + 150-450 would cost $1000 dollars more than the Nikon D500 + 200-500, assuming you bought everything new. the 200-500 is kind of a plastic-ey Chinese, cheapish feeling lens that like most of Nikon's cheap plastikey Chinese lenses actually functions pretty well. The D500 seems pretty much a righteous build.  I am imagining (I've her shot or used one)the Pentax combo to built to have rock solid build quality and probably made in Japan.  Probably built in smaller quantities drives the cost up.

It's be a pretty pricey combo, but rather unique.  I notice the 150-450 has an AF preset button.  That would be super handy.

That's what made me want to swap to the D500 a few months ago! It was actually cheaper to go that route than go the Pentax route (even used), and I thought why am I paying more for something arguably worse in this area... But that's part of the experiment. Still may switch over at some point. I am enjoying the K3III though, I'm just curious if my now screwdrive converted 300mm is a little outdated for the tech in the K3III. SDM was failing so I converted it. The 150-450 uses the newer SDM motors iirc.

This conversation is why I've decided to get the Pentax 55-300 PLM when I upgrade my tele. It won't have quite the reach or IQ of the lenses mentioned in this thread but it will be fast. I am hoping Pentax comes out with a PLM version of the 300 DA* but I doubt it. However, there are rumors of a 70-300 FA (so 450 equiv at the long end on the K-3?) PLM lens coming out. May not have the IQ of the DA*, but it may fill a gap in Pentax's lineup. Maybe it will even be affordable like the 55-300 PLM... Otherwise, the D500 is still as tempting as ever for us Pentaxians wanting to shoot wildlife!

Rumors about two new Pentax lenses: 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 and 50-135mm f/2.8

Quote from JBP on March 22, 2022, 3:16 pm
Quote from James Warner on March 21, 2022, 2:08 pm
Quote from KankRat on March 20, 2022, 1:32 am
Quote from James Warner on March 12, 2022, 5:09 pm
Quote from KankRat on March 11, 2022, 6:42 pm
Quote from James Warner on March 11, 2022, 12:32 pm

Wow, great pictures! I have seen this lens come up, or at least one of the other variants, every now and then. It does seem like this AT-X version is considerably more expensive than others for K mount at least. There's also an old Sigma 400/5.6 AF lens that can be had for just over $100 usually, but is rated quite a bit worse. But in the hands of the right photography I've seen some nice pictures with it. I'm impressed with what you got out of that one. Old telephoto lens CA can be pretty bad 😄

I see there is a 150-500mm.  This one went relatively cheap.   These don't have a reputation for being super duper sharp, far as I know. I wonder if they would shaperpen up if stopped down.

Pentax seems to get left out in the cold when it comes to third party.

Yeah, tell me about it 🙁 I'm thinking of swapping my 300 f4 + 1.4x teleconverter for the Pentax 150-450, which is highly regarded. It wouldn't be so much about getting something optically better, but just to have a flexible package. Putting on and off the teleconverter can be a bit of a hassle, and the old SDM focusing motor just isn't great. The old third party options are a lot cheaper, but as you said I've heard not very good. Too bad we don't have as many options as other mounts for good super zoom glass.

I think that would be a good move, if you could find a smoking deal on a clean copy.  That is not a cheap lens, I hope it lives up to the cost. Disappointing to hear about the AF on the 300mm .  The AF on the Nikon version is just ridiculous.  I think the motor is actually faster than the 20-500, but because the latter has VR I felt it was easier to get an AF point on target and nail the shot.

150-450 seems like a slightly better focal range than a 100-400mm, but again really kinda sucks that Tamron and Sigma have no modern teles for Pentax.

It's also weird that the Pentax wildlife combo K3III + 150-450 would cost $1000 dollars more than the Nikon D500 + 200-500, assuming you bought everything new. the 200-500 is kind of a plastic-ey Chinese, cheapish feeling lens that like most of Nikon's cheap plastikey Chinese lenses actually functions pretty well. The D500 seems pretty much a righteous build.  I am imagining (I've her shot or used one)the Pentax combo to built to have rock solid build quality and probably made in Japan.  Probably built in smaller quantities drives the cost up.

It's be a pretty pricey combo, but rather unique.  I notice the 150-450 has an AF preset button.  That would be super handy.

That's what made me want to swap to the D500 a few months ago! It was actually cheaper to go that route than go the Pentax route (even used), and I thought why am I paying more for something arguably worse in this area... But that's part of the experiment. Still may switch over at some point. I am enjoying the K3III though, I'm just curious if my now screwdrive converted 300mm is a little outdated for the tech in the K3III. SDM was failing so I converted it. The 150-450 uses the newer SDM motors iirc.

This conversation is why I've decided to get the Pentax 55-300 PLM when I upgrade my tele. It won't have quite the reach or IQ of the lenses mentioned in this thread but it will be fast. I am hoping Pentax comes out with a PLM version of the 300 DA* but I doubt it. However, there are rumors of a 70-300 FA (so 450 equiv at the long end on the K-3?) PLM lens coming out. May not have the IQ of the DA*, but it may fill a gap in Pentax's lineup. Maybe it will even be affordable like the 55-300 PLM... Otherwise, the D500 is still as tempting as ever for us Pentaxians wanting to shoot wildlife!

https://pentaxrumors.com/2022/03/13/rumors-about-two-new-pentax-lenses-70-300mm-f-4-5-5-6-and-50-135mm-f-2-8/

I think the 55-300 PLM is a good bet. From what I hear, I still haven't actually shot with one yet haha. If I had the budget for it I would do an experiment: K-3 III with DA* 300mm vs K-3 with 55-300mm PLM. For that test not really about IQ, but focusing speed and accuracy. I hear the PLM is the fastest focusing of any Pentax. Maybe it's a better investment to buy the PLM to get more speed rather than upgrading the body first and having an old lens to pair with it (my case, haha). I know it's not apples to apples because the lenses are suited for different situations, but you get the idea.

I do use the F4 capabilities for low light quite a lot so that's the main thing that's held me back. I've heard mixed things about the IQ in comparison to the DA* 300mm. Some say it's as good wide open, some say you need to stop it down a tad and then it's as good, and some say it never quite gets there but it's close. But pretty much everyone I've talked to has been extremely pleased for the price and super zoom nature of the lens out performing what you'd expect.

The new 70-300mm and 50-135 refresh are both interesting. The neat bit about the 70-300 would be it's FF capability. I don't know if they also plan on making it optically better than the 55-300, so I think the main point is that it's a modern FF super zoom which we don't have. The 50-135 would be neat. I have the original 50-135. Got it a couple months ago but haven't shot with it a bunch. The little I have shot with it confirms why people like it. It's a great lens for APS-C. A PLM refresh would be very welcome and compliment the refreshed 16-50 to give the K-3III some fresh APS-C zooms.

Happy snappin' 🙂
PreviousPage 2 of 2