Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tokina AT-X 400mm f5.6 SD AF KAF Mount

Page 1 of 2Next

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265583733789?hash=item3dd6062c1d:g:lzcAAOSwLi5iJmut

assuming this would work on a K5 or K3 ish camera.  I have the Nikon mount, mint condition. It's a nice old school looking lens. Slide out hood. All metal .  No built in motor so AF is pretty loud and clunky, but it works, better suited for non moving things.

It's waaaay better at f8 than wide open. Typical Tokina CA.  I did not do side by sides, but I think this lens has rather an old school look to pics taken with it.

I paid like $150 for mine, no more than $200 and it's has the box, the case etc. $369 seems steep to me. But it's probably pretty rare in a. K mount.

Examples

Male Northern Cardinal, Skunk Cabbage and Marsh Marigold by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Sandhill Crane by Mark Kasick, on Flick Coyote by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

This one is pretty sharp Red-Tailed by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Great Blue Heron by Mark Kasick, on Flickr Red-Tailed Hawk by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

Just to be clear, this is a lens I saw on Fleabay.  I am not selling it.   I just figured all you pentaxians might be interested.

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez

Wow, great pictures! I have seen this lens come up, or at least one of the other variants, every now and then. It does seem like this AT-X version is considerably more expensive than others for K mount at least. There's also an old Sigma 400/5.6 AF lens that can be had for just over $100 usually, but is rated quite a bit worse. But in the hands of the right photography I've seen some nice pictures with it. I'm impressed with what you got out of that one. Old telephoto lens CA can be pretty bad 😄

SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on March 11, 2022, 12:32 pm

Wow, great pictures! I have seen this lens come up, or at least one of the other variants, every now and then. It does seem like this AT-X version is considerably more expensive than others for K mount at least. There's also an old Sigma 400/5.6 AF lens that can be had for just over $100 usually, but is rated quite a bit worse. But in the hands of the right photography I've seen some nice pictures with it. I'm impressed with what you got out of that one. Old telephoto lens CA can be pretty bad 😄

I see there is a 150-500mm.  This one went relatively cheap.   These don't have a reputation for being super duper sharp, far as I know. I wonder if they would shaperpen up if stopped down.

Sigma AF 150-500mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO Lens Pentax #512 | eBay

Pentax seems to get left out in the cold when it comes to third party.

Quote from KankRat on March 11, 2022, 6:42 pm

I see there is a 150-500mm.  This one went relatively cheap.   These don't have a reputation for being super duper sharp, far as I know. I wonder if they would shaperpen up if stopped down.

Yeah, tell me about it 🙁 I'm thinking of swapping my 300 f4 + 1.4x teleconverter for the Pentax 150-450, which is highly regarded. It wouldn't be so much about getting something optically better, but just to have a flexible package. Putting on and off the teleconverter can be a bit of a hassle, and the old SDM focusing motor just isn't great. The old third party options are a lot cheaper, but as you said I've heard not very good. Too bad we don't have as many options as other mounts for good super zoom glass.

KankRat and JBP have reacted to this post.
KankRatJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on March 12, 2022, 5:09 pm

Yeah, tell me about it 🙁 I'm thinking of swapping my 300 f4 + 1.4x teleconverter for the Pentax 150-450, which is highly regarded. It wouldn't be so much about getting something optically better, but just to have a flexible package. Putting on and off the teleconverter can be a bit of a hassle, and the old SDM focusing motor just isn't great. The old third party options are a lot cheaper, but as you said I've heard not very good. Too bad we don't have as many options as other mounts for good super zoom glass.

Wait you'll let go the 300? Let's talk about that 😛

Yet for me is more flexible a zoom but.... who knows James, who knows.

On a side note about the Pentax 150-450mm I have tested it twice, once in a Formula 1 race, the other one in an event briefly another PENTAX Motorsport shooter!!! (WOAH What!!!?) let me test it for some minutes.

Now remember that this is a heavy lens, it is capable and in the F1 race I have borrowed it I liked it but also thought that I could have managed perfectly with my 100-300mm f4 Sigma anyways as it was not raining. Yes I had more reach. Maybe a similar AF speed (maybe the Pentax isn't that quick) and in-body stabilization on the lens but I wasn't sure how does it work.

Would I buy it? Not sure. I find it too long on the low end, and too dark on the apperture. A guy here in Barcelona has one and I think he'd like to sell it. But I am not so sure I am up for it. Specially now that I just bought another Sigma 100-300mm f4, just this time for Canon mount. As my mate will bring me his brother's Canon 7D Mark I and I already have the 28mm f2.8 he gave me years ago. Will try out that combo, I know 7D's work great with AF.

Second reason why I got the 100-300mm f4 is that if I don't stick to the Canon this lens will be a donnor for my Pentax copy. So I can get it fixed. And then probably keep going with this one. We will see. My head is just a mess of silly ideas right now.

Might I have not bought that other 100-300mm f4, probably I'd have asked my mate for a quote on his 150-450mm lens. Probably.

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

I think that would be a good move, if you could find a smoking deal on a clean copy.  That is not a cheap lens, I hope it lives up to the cost. Disappointing to hear about the AF on the 300mm .  The AF on the Nikon version is just ridiculous.  I think the motor is actually faster than the 20-500, but because the latter has VR I felt it was easier to get an AF point on target and nail the shot.

150-450 seems like a slightly better focal range than a 100-400mm, but again really kinda sucks that Tamron and Sigma have no modern teles for Pentax.

It's also weird that the Pentax wildlife combo K3III + 150-450 would cost $1000 dollars more than the Nikon D500 + 200-500, assuming you bought everything new. the 200-500 is kind of a plastic-ey Chinese, cheapish feeling lens that like most of Nikon's cheap plastikey Chinese lenses actually functions pretty well. The D500 seems pretty much a righteous build.  I am imagining (I've her shot or used one)the Pentax combo to built to have rock solid build quality and probably made in Japan.  Probably built in smaller quantities drives the cost up.

It's be a pretty pricey combo, but rather unique.  I notice the 150-450 has an AF preset button.  That would be super handy.

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner
Quote from KankRat on March 20, 2022, 1:32 am

I think that would be a good move, if you could find a smoking deal on a clean copy.  That is not a cheap lens, I hope it lives up to the cost. Disappointing to hear about the AF on the 300mm .  The AF on the Nikon version is just ridiculous.  I think the motor is actually faster than the 20-500, but because the latter has VR I felt it was easier to get an AF point on target and nail the shot.

150-450 seems like a slightly better focal range than a 100-400mm, but again really kinda sucks that Tamron and Sigma have no modern teles for Pentax.

It's also weird that the Pentax wildlife combo K3III + 150-450 would cost $1000 dollars more than the Nikon D500 + 200-500, assuming you bought everything new. the 200-500 is kind of a plastic-ey Chinese, cheapish feeling lens that like most of Nikon's cheap plastikey Chinese lenses actually functions pretty well. The D500 seems pretty much a righteous build.  I am imagining (I've her shot or used one)the Pentax combo to built to have rock solid build quality and probably made in Japan.  Probably built in smaller quantities drives the cost up.

It's be a pretty pricey combo, but rather unique.  I notice the 150-450 has an AF preset button.  That would be super handy.

That's what made me want to swap to the D500 a few months ago! It was actually cheaper to go that route than go the Pentax route (even used), and I thought why am I paying more for something arguably worse in this area... But that's part of the experiment. Still may switch over at some point. I am enjoying the K3III though, I'm just curious if my now screwdrive converted 300mm is a little outdated for the tech in the K3III. SDM was failing so I converted it. The 150-450 uses the newer SDM motors iirc.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on March 21, 2022, 2:08 pm
Quote from KankRat on March 20, 2022, 1:32 am

That's what made me want to swap to the D500 a few months ago! It was actually cheaper to go that route than go the Pentax route (even used), and I thought why am I paying more for something arguably worse in this area... But that's part of the experiment. Still may switch over at some point. I am enjoying the K3III though, I'm just curious if my now screwdrive converted 300mm is a little outdated for the tech in the K3III. SDM was failing so I converted it. The 150-450 uses the newer SDM motors iirc.

I would say the screw drive is probably outdated.

Maybe your 300mm needed a new SD motor.  I had to replace the one on my Nikkor.  It didn't just die, nor acquire the notorious death squeek.  It just started acting up.  Mostly AF was wonky with the 1.7TC.

The only thing that might sway me away from the zoom is if it was not sharp wide open at 300 and up.

Really close focusing would be good too.

Page 1 of 2Next