Please or Register to create posts and topics.

To Pentax KP or to Not Pentax KP?

That's the question.

And is a personal question I have.

I just recently saw one for sale at 500€ in a second hand app, and it has not even 10K actuations done.

I have watched @james-warner-b video about it again and I have tried to remember when I was able to try one how good or bad it was and how much I liked it. And I liked it. BUT I look with my left eye, I use glasses and the top shutter button is something that never helped me keep my glasses clean. That's a minus point.

Also if I am not mistaken the KP only uses 1 SD card slot, and that is also a minus point for me as I sometimes make mistakes quick changing light metering or using and un-using ISO auto (in the garages are for example I can be shooting at ISO 100 thinking I was shooting at Auto ISO and just get black pics due to me being a bit foolish, this is why I like to shoot JPG+RAW in 2 different cards).

YET my beloved K3 Silver is approaching the 200K photos Mark and it's supposed it's shutter life is about that. So I am considering if,maybe, not that I owe a K3-III a KP could be a good replacement for pit-garage imaginery and grid images to shoot driver on car, and so on.

I know that the KP has some limitations like an expected life of "only" 100.000 images before the shutter "dies". Or that batteries are different, smaller with less capacity (yes, that's inconvenient) or that 3rd parties don't to battery grips for it (or I wasn't able to find any).

I know all this, but also I know that it uses a sensor that is the same size as the K3 Silver, that the ISO capabilities are probably even better, that has a flip screen (and maybe that helps me with some shoots), or that it has a burst rate similar (a bit lower) to my K3's original in Silver and a similar SR system plus maybe a better AF system, or at least, the same one as the K3-II I sold had.

Yet many many many thoughts all together. And one last one. I was about to spend that amount of money (a bit less but they are getting very pricey) on a Fujifilm X100 series model. But the under 350€ ones are totally gone and now you go up to 500 for a reasonable priced one. Yes it's another story, it's another camera and it's a diferent idea and thing, but why not investing in gear I will use on a regular basis instead of on something i will use not that often?

Well, I will keep checking vids before deciding, and maybe you can also help me out here if you like. Thank you! 😀

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

Okay got it why is "so cheap".
It seems that the screen in articulated mode doesn't work.

That maybe could drive to a malfunction, I don't know. Will do some research.

The biggest thing the KP has going for it over the K-3 is the articulating screen, followed by better high-ISO image quality. I have heard that the KP AF is a bit better but also that the screwdrive motor is weaker, so it may drive larger lenses more slowly than you're used to. Something to look into as I'm no expert, just repeating what I've heard. Also the burst rate is close (KP 1 fps slower) but the buffer is something like half the size of the K-3 so you may hit the wall often.

I want a KP myself someday for the screen and size. I plan to use it for macros and city trips where the smaller size and weight would be welcome. Just waiting for prices to come down... Here it was ~$500 then jumped up to $700 and only recently have I been seeing them sometimes in the low $600's.

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from JBP on March 22, 2023, 8:10 pm

The biggest thing the KP has going for it over the K-3 is the articulating screen, followed by better high-ISO image quality. I have heard that the KP AF is a bit better but also that the screwdrive motor is weaker, so it may drive larger lenses more slowly than you're used to. Something to look into as I'm no expert, just repeating what I've heard. Also the burst rate is close (KP 1 fps slower) but the buffer is something like half the size of the K-3 so you may hit the wall often.

I want a KP myself someday for the screen and size. I plan to use it for macros and city trips where the smaller size and weight would be welcome. Just waiting for prices to come down... Here it was ~$500 then jumped up to $700 and only recently have I been seeing them sometimes in the low $600's.

I agree.

Yet my plan if I ever buy this one unit is to use it as a 2nd body. So no long lenses on it. Maximum would be the 50-135mm f2.8 if you consider this one as a long lens. Pitlane action usually requires quite tiny focus lenghts and the smaller I have is 17-50mm.

But the articulated screen non working when articulated, I don't know how do I feel about it. I can live without it, but then if it suddenly makes the screen non working at all is an issue. Specially as this camera has not a screen on top as my K3 and I like that feature. So I'm not that convinced.

The main idea was to give my K3 Silver a break before it breaks up.

That's odd about the screen not working. And not good. I don't know how prices are locally for you, but if it's close enough I feel like you should just return and wait for one that's fully working for around that price.

I love the KP. I actually want to pick one up again some time xD Obviously I don't need anymore cameras. The high ISO is noticeably improved over the original K-3. I don't really notice an AF difference. The screen articulates which the K-3's still don't.

The only bit I didn't like was that the body felt less sporty. The way the shutter button was flat on the top seemed more suited for enjoyable leisure shooting and less for wildlife with a large lens and needing to be as comfortable as possible. But that will depend on the user and your own feeling.

I always thought the KP would be even more fun with some of the small limited primes and walking around with the camera.

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on March 23, 2023, 12:23 pm

That's odd about the screen not working. And not good. I don't know how prices are locally for you, but if it's close enough I feel like you should just return and wait for one that's fully working for around that price.

I love the KP. I actually want to pick one up again some time xD Obviously I don't need anymore cameras. The high ISO is noticeably improved over the original K-3. I don't really notice an AF difference. The screen articulates which the K-3's still don't.

The only bit I didn't like was that the body felt less sporty. The way the shutter button was flat on the top seemed more suited for enjoyable leisure shooting and less for wildlife with a large lens and needing to be as comfortable as possible. But that will depend on the user and your own feeling.

I always thought the KP would be even more fun with some of the small limited primes and walking around with the camera.

Thank you James,

Prices here are quite high, around 750-850€ i believe.

So when a cheap one appeared I was a bit interested. I also disagree on the shutter position, and overall the way the camera is as a form.

I have seen some guys on the spanish forum saying you yourself can replace the screen by buying some fuji XT-10 replacement for around 20€. Yet maybe is best to bring it to a store where they replace phone screens. But would they know how to do it? I don't know.

The main reason to have such interest is to find a replacement to my quite used camera. Will need to give it a thought because if I don't use the screen as it is, maybe it can remain forever working.

i wouldn't pay that much for a KP that has issues, I got mine for $600 US with 80 shutter count on it.

also with pentax, there are no replacement parts available to purchase anywhere, so make sure to get one that has no issues, if you have to sent it to an authorized repair shop for anything is going to cost almost as much as another good used KP, at least in the USA.

Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from HoLun on March 24, 2023, 12:00 am

i wouldn't pay that much for a KP that has issues, I got mine for $600 US with 80 shutter count on it.

also with pentax, there are no replacement parts available to purchase anywhere, so make sure to get one that has no issues, if you have to sent it to an authorized repair shop for anything is going to cost almost as much as another good used KP, at least in the USA.

Thank you,

That's another valid point, yet seems that this could be fixed in an "easy" way if you have the knowledge with cheap spare parts.

But it is true that is a risk. Prices here aren't as cheap as 600$ unfortunately 😛

Quote from red5isalive on March 24, 2023, 12:07 pm

That's another valid point, yet seems that this could be fixed in an "easy" way if you have the knowledge with cheap spare parts.

yes, this sounds like the ribbon cable/wire that goes between the screen to the body is failing,  somewhat common on electronics that have articulating screens, for example, i have a Olympus E-M10 II that this failure is very common, I replaced the flat flex cable and  it only cost me $6 us and I completed the repair under 30 minutes.

if parts were available I would say yes get that KP but since this is not the case I would recommend waiting for another one that has no issues.

if you do find one within the price range and in good condition, definitely get it. the KP is a very good camera, image quality is amazing, and one of the few DSLR that have a 5 axis IBIS.

Daniel Gonzalez

Great camera however, the flippy lcd will fail if you use it. The flex cable gets pinched and crimped, forming a hair line crack. Thus, failure. Look on the Pentax Forums for more information.   I had to send mine in for repair. Not cheap! Now I just gaff tape the LCD screen down (neatly) so I cannot flip it out. I hardly use this feature anyway, so why not.  I also gaff tape my pop up flashes (neatly) so they cannot pop open in my bag.  Yes, the hand grip is worth it. Not only does it make the camera easier to handle, it doubles your battery life!

Daniel Gonzalez