Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Telephoto Prime Club (100mm+)

Page 1 of 2Next

Thanks @james-warner-b for suggesting the lens club idea!

An interesting category of lenses that I've recently gotten into is the telephoto prime lens.

My first entry is the Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM. Purchased used through ebay and have been enjoying on a Canon 5d classic. I have used a 70-200mm before and found myself mostly using it at 200mm so I thought, why not try it out? It's a good size that is comfortable for carrying about.

I have noticed that even though it is 200mm, it doesn't have a huge reach and I still get the "prime lens feel" where I have to physically move around more for composition.

Sample images attached!

Uploaded files:
  • Canon-200mm-Gif.gif
  • MG_0010.jpg
  • MG_0025.jpg
  • MG_0039.jpg
  • MG_0062.jpg
Justin Tung, SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruceGawad
Quote from Beau Carpenter on September 17, 2021, 2:05 am

An interesting category of lenses that I've recently gotten into is the telephoto prime lens.

My first entry is the Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM. Purchased used through ebay and have been enjoying on a Canon 5d classic. I have used a 70-200mm before and found myself mostly using it at 200mm so I thought, why not try it out? It's a good size that is comfortable for carrying about.

I have noticed that even though it is 200mm, it doesn't have a huge reach and I still get the "prime lens feel" where I have to physically move around more for composition.

Sample images attached!

Love the gif! I love the goose photo too! What a great capture.

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Quote from SpruceBruce on September 17, 2021, 5:50 am
Quote from Beau Carpenter on September 17, 2021, 2:05 am

Sample images attached!

Love the gif! I love the goose photo too! What a great capture.

Thanks @sprucebruce !

I almost missed it, was walking along and heard the flock start to take off and just barely got the first few geese coming off the water.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

I have always thought a 200mm prime would be really interesting to shoot. Pentax has one modern one (and a few vintage). The modern one is unofficially full-frame, like the DA* 300mm I have, meaning it covers full frame at all f-stops but was marketed before they made their first full-frame digital camera so still advertised as not FF compatible for some reason. I guess the main advantage over a 70-200 would be weight and size if you knew you were only going to shoot at 200 anyway?

The shots of the kids are especially nice to me. The bokeh is very smooth and I find that level of separation really pleasing.

Nikon has their 20mm f2 lens, which is just crazy to me. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734998-USA/Nikon_2188_AF_S_NIKKOR_200mm_f_2_0.html Matt Granger on YouTube used to shoot with it a lot. Some photographer in my local San Antonio photographers Facebook group got one from her husband as a birthday gift (can you imagine? haha). Came in this big suitcase of a case.

I'll share some telephoto primes photos in my next post. Need to set down at the computer and flip through the archive.

Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on September 18, 2021, 2:50 am

I have always thought a 200mm prime would be really interesting to shoot. Pentax has one modern one (and a few vintage). The modern one is unofficially full-frame, like the DA* 300mm I have, meaning it covers full frame at all f-stops but was marketed before they made their first full-frame digital camera so still advertised as not FF compatible for some reason. I guess the main advantage over a 70-200 would be weight and size if you knew you were only going to shoot at 200 anyway?

The shots of the kids are especially nice to me. The bokeh is very smooth and I find that level of separation really pleasing.

Nikon has their 20mm f2 lens, which is just crazy to me. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734998-USA/Nikon_2188_AF_S_NIKKOR_200mm_f_2_0.html Matt Granger on YouTube used to shoot with it a lot. Some photographer in my local San Antonio photographers Facebook group got one from her husband as a birthday gift (can you imagine? haha). Came in this big suitcase of a case.

I'll share some telephoto primes photos in my next post. Need to set down at the computer and flip through the archive.

I saw that bokeh beast Nikkor 200mm F2.8 at the Fairbanks camera rental shop when I was working there in March, that man has intense stories that’s for sure.  He said he uses it to photograph polar bears around Utqiagvik and Proudhoe Bay, without a teleconverter from a truck.  Yeah that’s a tad out of my comfort zone lol.  So jealous that someone has that level of disposable income to casually gift it.

Here’s two from my Nikkor Pre AI collection adapted to the Z50 with macro rings, the first two are the 135mm F3.5, and the next two are the 200mm F4.

Uploaded files:
  • 78387C91-DF99-4C1C-A43C-48653B1A6590.jpeg
  • 279805F7-C8F3-4288-825F-1E4AEB3DFBEB.jpeg
  • B0AF5A09-546C-4679-81A7-88C1C77C7311.jpeg
  • 12E85D6E-2A3C-4B7E-9F98-CDD594DB8019.jpeg
  • D577FB48-003E-49DA-8CA9-153D6663D0AA.jpeg
Beau Carpenter and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterGawad

Some of you may have seen these before, but here are some favorites from my Pentax-F 135mm f2.8 lens shown below:

On full-spectrum converted camera

While we are on 135mm, here's some from my Samyang 135mm F2

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

thought I can't pass by this thread without mentioning the soviet tank(jupiter 21m) sadly my time with the lens was short-lived as I somehow managed to break it which was a sad sad day and I would've picked it up again if I hadn't switched over to fd mount with a really nice replacement.

what can I say the lens was sharp with maybe some ca and the least bit of softness wide open stopped down it's just a beast of a lens with some lovely bokeh at the right circumstances if the size and weight aren't a problem to you but a bonus point other than the amazing build and image quality is the built in hood which was very useful when I remembered it.

added a photo with it on my smaller mirrorless camera because it felt ridiculous

Uploaded files:
  • 1631956798919-01.jpeg
  • IMG_20200815_125942_767.jpg
  • DSC01349-01.jpg
  • DSC01406.jpg
  • IMG_20200813_201621.jpg
Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Quote from Gawad on September 21, 2021, 2:34 am

thought I can't pass by this thread without mentioning the soviet tank(jupiter 21m) sadly my time with the lens was short-lived as I somehow managed to break it which was a sad sad day and I would've picked it up again if I hadn't switched over to fd mount with a really nice replacement.

what can I say the lens was sharp with maybe some ca and the least bit of softness wide open stopped down it's just a beast of a lens with some lovely bokeh at the right circumstances if the size and weight aren't a problem to you but a bonus point other than the amazing build and image quality is the built in hood which was very useful when I remembered it.

added a photo with it on my smaller mirrorless camera because it felt ridiculous

What a bokeh machine!

Gawad has reacted to this post.
Gawad

Dang what a lens! How is the performance wide open? I have a 200m f/3.3 by Kamero(?) and it's pretty sharp wide open, but the chromatic aberrations are pretty out of control.

Gawad has reacted to this post.
Gawad
Ever striving for minimum competency

Very cool, that lens has a very nice look about it! Haha, the size difference is rather comical.

The next lens I plan to share on here is the Takumar 135mm f/2.5 that I've shot with film and adapted to M4/3. It's also sort of a oversized setup for the camera body.

SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawad
Page 1 of 2Next