Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 and PZ-20

Today I found a listing on Facebook Marketplace for a 35mm Pentax PZ-20 for $15. The thing that caught my eye however was the 50mm f1.4 sitting on the front of it. I drove about 50 minutes each way figuring I was getting a pretty cool film camera either way (no idea if it works, the battery is dead) but the lens is really good condition, so right on my K3 it went.

Will have to wait and see how well the camera works when I track down a good battery and some film.

I love my old SMC A 50mm f2…so I can’t wait to have autofocusing and more depth of field to play with.

Uploaded files:
  • 647223A4-B882-4923-A26C-090B062ACA35.jpeg
SpruceBruce and EckyH have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceEckyH
Quote from mattlinardo on January 2, 2023, 11:25 pm

Today I found a listing on Facebook Marketplace for a 35mm Pentax PZ-20 for $15. The thing that caught my eye however was the 50mm f1.4 sitting on the front of it. I drove about 50 minutes each way figuring I was getting a pretty cool film camera either way (no idea if it works, the battery is dead) but the lens is really good condition, so right on my K3 it went.

Will have to wait and see how well the camera works when I track down a good battery and some film.

I love my old SMC A 50mm f2…so I can’t wait to have autofocusing and more depth of field to play with.

Great find! I love deals like this. I had that FA 50mm f1.4 for a while. Used on my crop and K-1 bodies. It has some CA wide open against strong lights, but still can be very lovely. If you shoot against bright lights and notice this, try stopping down a bit.

I don't know anything about the PZ-20 but it looks a lot like my Z-1p, which is a fantastic autofocus SLR.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from mattlinardo on January 2, 2023, 11:25 pm

What a steal!

Nice find!

Had a chance to get out and make use of the 50mm f1.4 today. The depth of field is so narrow at 1.4 you have to be so intentional with your focus. Stopping down some, even to 1.8 gives you a little more room to work with. The only thing I don’t love, is the minimum focusing distance is longer than my old SMC-A 50mm f2.

Uploaded files:
  • D62349D0-51B7-492D-8171-4DA31F09DBDD.jpeg
  • B2895C90-6A29-49EC-9EF3-663D3831FC08.jpeg
  • 71020D3A-6EE9-40D7-B6AE-0AC7BE78C645.jpeg
James Warner, Tristan Carlos and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerTristan CarlosSpruceBruceJBPEckyH
Quote from mattlinardo on January 8, 2023, 3:31 am

Had a chance to get out and make use of the 50mm f1.4 today. The depth of field is so narrow at 1.4 you have to be so intentional with your focus. Stopping down some, even to 1.8 gives you a little more room to work with. The only thing I don’t love, is the minimum focusing distance is longer than my old SMC-A 50mm f2.

Wow the bokeh, colors, and contrast from that lens are so nice!

SpruceBruce and mattlinardo have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucemattlinardo

Have you compared the sharpness with other 50mm?

I have noticed mine is softer than the 8 element Takumar 50mm 1.4, 7 element, K series, and M series but maybe it is my copy.

What I have also noticed is that it gathers more light compared to the other 50mm 1.4 I have. It has a higher shutter speed under controlled conditions.

SpruceBruce and mattlinardo have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucemattlinardo
Quote from tristancarlos on January 9, 2023, 9:51 pm

Have you compared the sharpness with other 50mm?

I have noticed mine is softer than the 8 element Takumar 50mm 1.4, 7 element, K series, and M series but maybe it is my copy.

What I have also noticed is that it gathers more light compared to the other 50mm 1.4 I have. It has a higher shutter speed under controlled conditions.

I will have to do some side by side comparisons and see, like I said my old lens is only f2 so it would be an interesting test.