Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The sad (on-going) tale of a Ricoh GXR and eBay

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Ricoh GXR and modules from eBay for a great price. I was very excited because the Ricoh GXR is such a unique camera system and represents a cool piece of camera tech history that I wanted to experience.

It was coming from Canada which wasn’t an issue. I order things from Canada on eBay all the time, and in fact received an item last week from Canada just fine.

After two weeks I contacted the seller for an update and a tracking code, and heard back that it was stuck in customs and here’s the tracking code. Well, it was stuck in customs alright, but in CHILE!

so, I’m thinking how this could have possibly happened since Chile is definitely note en route from Canada to the US. I thought the seller had simply gotten confused and sent me someone else’s tracking. But no, they replied, this was in fact my package and somewhere along the line shipping it from eBay shipping label error and Canada Post being confused my address was changed to have a destination country of Chile.

There is a last ditch effort right now to see if there’s anyway to save the package (which I hope, but doubt), and if not they are offering a refund (as they should.) But if that is the fate of this Ricoh GXR and modules it is a very sad one. Probably lost in some office somewhere in Chile, to be discovered who knows when by who knows who. 🙁

San Antonio ≠ Santiago

SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂

😬 Whoa, that's a bummer! Sure hope that it can make it's way back to you

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from Snappy on October 25, 2021, 4:02 pm

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Ricoh GXR and modules from eBay for a great price. I was very excited because the Ricoh GXR is such a unique camera system and represents a cool piece of camera tech history that I wanted to experience.

It was coming from Canada which wasn’t an issue. I order things from Canada on eBay all the time, and in fact received an item last week from Canada just fine.

After two weeks I contacted the seller for an update and a tracking code, and heard back that it was stuck in customs and here’s the tracking code. Well, it was stuck in customs alright, but in CHILE!

so, I’m thinking how this could have possibly happened since Chile is definitely note en route from Canada to the US. I thought the seller had simply gotten confused and sent me someone else’s tracking. But no, they replied, this was in fact my package and somewhere along the line shipping it from eBay shipping label error and Canada Post being confused my address was changed to have a destination country of Chile.

There is a last ditch effort right now to see if there’s anyway to save the package (which I hope, but doubt), and if not they are offering a refund (as they should.) But if that is the fate of this Ricoh GXR and modules it is a very sad one. Probably lost in some office somewhere in Chile, to be discovered who knows when by who knows who. 🙁

San Antonio ≠ Santiago

Sea route, and the line at Panama was too long so they decided to go all the way around?

SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency

Okay, so this is on going. I'm still confused with the seller who is convinced it is in Chile (one tracking number) but then got a picture of a receipt (in french) that shows they shipped something to me at the correct address, and that item is stuck in San Francisco for two weeks.

This is one of the more confusing eBay purchases I've ever made, but a very nice seller even if there's confusion, and maybe something will show up one day?

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on October 27, 2021, 6:58 pm

Okay, so this is on going. I'm still confused with the seller who is convinced it is in Chile (one tracking number) but then got a picture of a receipt (in french) that shows they shipped something to me at the correct address, and that item is stuck in San Francisco for two weeks.

This is one of the more confusing eBay purchases I've ever made, but a very nice seller even if there's confusion, and maybe something will show up one day?

I flew out of LAX last night, there's so many ships waiting to port it's amazing to see.  It sounds like it's quarantining in customs right now at least.  I had to wait two weeks for my Zenit when it shipped from Ukraine.

I really hope it shows up! I wanna see what you can do with the GXR.  Did you get the Leica M mount module by any chance 😝

Quote from SpruceBruce on October 28, 2021, 2:17 am
Quote from Snappy on October 27, 2021, 6:58 pm

I flew out of LAX last night, there's so many ships waiting to port it's amazing to see.  It sounds like it's quarantining in customs right now at least.  I had to wait two weeks for my Zenit when it shipped from Ukraine.

I really hope it shows up! I wanna see what you can do with the GXR.  Did you get the Leica M mount module by any chance 😝

Yeah I’m really hoping that’s just it. I have about two weeks before I’ll request a refund per eBay’s policies (30 days past expected arrival.) I’ve only had one other package do this before in the hundreds I’ve bought over the years, and it just never showed. Lost in the postal world somewhere. That one hurt even more, because it was at my local post office from what the tracking said. I went there 3-4 different times and they kept giving me a different story. I got my money back, and the seller hopefully used insurance to get a refund.

I bought three modules, and yes the Leica M mount is one of them 🙂 I don’t want to get my hopes too high at this point though. But I was very excited about it.

Happy snappin' 🙂

Another update (because I know everyone is into this drama, lol)

After 21 days of no tracking update, and 28 days past original shipment date, I just got an alert that it passed through Dallas!! I can't believe it. The only other time a package got stuck passed two weeks for me it was totally lost, so I didn't have much hope. I'm very excited!

Not that any of this actually matters. I have to remind myself that when I get worked up over something like this. Is anyone in my family severely sick? No. Do we have a safe place to live? Yes. Do we have food? Yes, lol. I don't want to come off as someone who complains about there package of expensive leisure goods being delayed.

Beau Carpenter and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on October 30, 2021, 7:57 pm

Another update (because I know everyone is into this drama, lol)

After 21 days of no tracking update, and 28 days past original shipment date, I just got an alert that it passed through Dallas!! I can't believe it. The only other time a package got stuck passed two weeks for me it was totally lost, so I didn't have much hope. I'm very excited!

Not that any of this actually matters. I have to remind myself that when I get worked up over something like this. Is anyone in my family severely sick? No. Do we have a safe place to live? Yes. Do we have food? Yes, lol. I don't want to come off as someone who complains about there package of expensive leisure goods being delayed.

you can still get frustrated over something you're really passionate about going badly, it doesn't make you ungrateful, it just shows you really care. I for one am so excited to eventually see the content you'll make with this really special camera, I'm sure it'll be grateful.

agentlossing and Beau Carpenter have reacted to this post.
agentlossingBeau Carpenter

Package arrived today! What a relief! I'll post more in other threads about it. Expect to see more content in the coming months about the Ricoh GXR 🙂

Beau Carpenter and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂