Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The One Lens for Life: Your Forever Photography Companion?

If you had to choose one lens for the rest of your photography career, which one would it be and why?

Oh. THAT question. 😀

At the moment it probably would be the HD Pentax-DA 1:2.8 35mm Macro Limited because it is very good optically, very versatile due to the standard focal length and macro capability, small, light and matches perfectly with my 49mm filters.

E.

Veni, vidi, serravi.

This used to be hard for me but the last couple of years I've had it pretty clear in my mind what I'd do if I needed to slim down to one camera/lens.

It would be the Ricoh GR's 28mm lens. Which I guess means I also am stuck with that camera, and I'd be okay with that too xD I wouldn't be able to do wildlife stuff, some nice portraits would be harder, but most of what I do is document my family anyway and that lens is fantastic.

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Happy snappin' 🙂

Does the lens on an iPhone count?

Because if it doesn't then my Nikkor 200-500mm f5.6. Effective 300-750mm on DX.

The rest the phone can handle.  Do I get a second body? Because then that lens gets considerably wider.

I've been into DSLRs now since about 2009 ish. 95% of my pics are 300 or longer and wildlife shots.

Quote from James Warner on June 7, 2023, 5:07 pm

This used to be hard for me but the last couple of years I've had it pretty clear in my mind what I'd do if I needed to slim down to one camera/lens.

It would be the Ricoh GR's 28mm lens. Which I guess means I also am stuck with that camera, and I'd be okay with that too xD I wouldn't be able to do wildlife stuff, some nice portraits would be harder, but most of what I do is document my family anyway and that lens is fantastic.

That gets to the root. WHY would you want one lens on a camera with detachable lenses.

Quote from Evelynn on June 6, 2023, 3:48 pm

If you had to choose one lens for the rest of your photography career, which one would it be and why?

My Sigma 100-300mm f4.

Because it creates wonderful images and it's great for the type of images I take, where I take them. It's compact and not that heavy enough. A true performer with great AF and superb definition and quality.

There you go.

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo