Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The last of the Kodak CCDs for Olympus

PreviousPage 3 of 3
Quote from JBP on July 25, 2022, 2:04 pm

I have been thinking the same thing about Fuji. There are three things that always make me go "wow, the colors!" Those are: Fuji cameras in general, CCD cameras, and 16mp cameras. CCD makes sense, I guess. It's a different technology after all, so it's not surprising to have different results. Fuji also has a different sensor thing going on so that I can understand also. The one that gets me is 16mp CMOS. Why does it seem to have the magic also? Perhaps that is less about color and more about rendering otherwise. I dunno. #rabbithole

The 16mp thing could be because nearly all sensors are manufactured by Sony, so 16mp sensor cameras probably are nearly all using the same one.

Sony even does the X-Trans sensors, with the CFA to spec obviously.

Which 16mp sensor cameras are you thinking of?

Reminds me: I have a 16mp Fuji X-Trans camera I keep forgetting about, the X-M1. I… don't like it. But I couldn't tell you why, which means it's a vague dislike and potentially has changed.

Quote from JBP on July 25, 2022, 2:07 pm

Whoa, I almost missed this post. I love the haze, too! It's so fun to get that kind of stuff straight out of camera, vs using software. Reminds me about some guy on the Pentax forums who got his kit lens all scratched up and loved the way it made the photos look, so he took some sandpaper and scratched it even more. Madness! haha But it did make the photos look cool. 😎 The hazy cactus photo is killer!

It is fun!!

And I hadn't seen that guy's posts but I did see the recent TikTok of a photographer who did something similar to her UV filter (better than the lens, heh). Now I just need to stop throwing them away when they come free with stuff.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from ahoyhere on July 25, 2022, 11:18 pm

The 16mp thing could be because nearly all sensors are manufactured by Sony, so 16mp sensor cameras probably are nearly all using the same one.

Sony even does the X-Trans sensors, with the CFA to spec obviously.

Which 16mp sensor cameras are you thinking of?

That's a good point, it could be something unique to that sensor, and the fact that it's 16mp is coincidence. The ones I think of specifically are the Pentax K-5 and the Fuji X-T1 (I believe). It's the one @denniscrommett has shared photos from on here. I always think they have some special sauce about them like the K-5.

Quote from ahoyhere on July 25, 2022, 11:18 pm

It is fun!!

And I hadn't seen that guy's posts but I did see the recent TikTok of a photographer who did something similar to her UV filter (better than the lens, heh). Now I just need to stop throwing them away when they come free with stuff.

That's certainly a better way to do it. 😆

Good lenses for the four-thirds system from Olympus:

budget:

14-45 mm lens (not the 14-42), the 14-45 was the original kitlens. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore. The image quality and build quality of the 14-45 was rated just slightly better.

40-150 mm lens 1:3.5-4.5

35 mm macro: a lens with very good results. I also use it as a portrait lens.

A pancake lens has been released, but I can no longer find the data. Seems to be a very nice compact lens, with very good results.

With a bit of luck you can find the 18-180  (3.5-6.3) lens. I almost always have this on my camera. Nice sharp lens, very nice pictures taken with it.

semi professional:

14-54 mm (two versions), both versions are recommended. Unfortunately I have no experience with this lens.

12-60 mm From the reviews: a very nice good lens, but a bit much distortion.

50 mm macro: an excellent macro lens, is very high on my wish list.

I hope you can do something with this list of lenses. The lenses I would like to have:

The 14-54mm: second version.
The pancake lens.
The 50mm macro.

However, it is quite difficult to find these lenses second hand. They still go new for the normal price, Olympus lenses from the semi-professional line are quite pricey. However, the kit lenses are of decent quality. I've had a lot of cameras with a lot of kit lenses, but the Olympus ones are really good.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Within the limits of my equipment consciously looking for painting with light.
Quote from Bart Kerste on August 24, 2022, 6:45 pm

budget:

14-45 mm lens (not the 14-42), the 14-45 was the original kitlens. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore. The image quality and build quality of the 14-45 was rated just slightly better.

A pancake lens has been released, but I can no longer find the data. Seems to be a very nice compact lens, with very good results.

With a bit of luck you can find the 18-180  (3.5-6.3) lens. I almost always have this on my camera. Nice sharp lens, very nice pictures taken with it.

semi professional:

14-54 mm (two versions), both versions are recommended. Unfortunately I have no experience with this lens.

I hope you can do something with this list of lenses. The lenses I would like to have:

The pancake lens.
The 50mm macro.

However, it is quite difficult to find these lenses second hand. They still go new for the normal price, Olympus lenses from the semi-professional line are quite pricey. However, the kit lenses are of decent quality. I've had a lot of cameras with a lot of kit lenses, but the Olympus ones are really good.

I'm scouring eBay for an E-300, but like you've stated I can't find too much in the secondary market for the 4/3rds mount.  I could always just adapt my Super Takumar M42 glass though.  Maybe I'll play the long wait game and poach a good deal one day.

Quote from Bart Kerste on August 24, 2022, 6:45 pm

budget:

semi professional:

The pancake lens.
The 50mm macro.

The 50-200 is very nice as well. My Four Thirds kit is:

14-54 version II

25mm 2.8 Pancake

Sigma 30mm 1.4

50mm Macro

50-200mm telephoto.

I would like the 7-14 but it's too pricey for me.

PreviousPage 3 of 3