Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The glorious quick af Zoom for Pentax (from the past)

Hi there, 
This is an ode to my beloved Sigma 100-300mm F4 APO EX DG for Pentax K mount, which has been my favourite lens for many years. 

You might or not know that I had my first copy bought around 2014 or 2015. And it quickly became my most used lens in the races for it's reach, it's constant aperture and because it's AF with the K5 and later K3 and K3II was quick and quicker than anything else I have had previously.

It's weight is not an issue and, for me, the reach it has is very good at the low end and yes it lacks a bit of reach at the top end, but you can alwas crop.

It also allows me to zoom in and out while panning with one finger in a very smooth way. 

So, why did I bought my Pentax D-FA 150-450mm lens which is not constant aprture and way heavier. 

Because my copy fall from me with my K3-II to the floor in 2020. And even sending it twice to the lab, it has never been the same. What happened is that randomly my copy was keeping full open at f4 whenever it wanted. And you could not stop it down. 

This lens has a physical ring for apertures, and not even using it and closing it to F22 it was doing anything at all. Not even after being serviced and repaired, doesn't matter if using the K3, K3-II or K3-III it was randomly working like that. 

Oh, side but very important note, the K3-III is Not fully compatible with this lens. The K3-III doesn't recognize the apertures if you use the physical ring on the lens. That is something that was not happening on my previous models.

Anyways, months ago, after looking for a copy of this for 2 years as there are almost No copies for sale (you can find 2 - 3 in a year)  I bought another copy for Pentax but it was the non APO version, and for me it was a bit slower than my usual copy so I have passed it re-selling it. 

Now you can wonder why I did not bought another copy quick! But the problem with this lens is that people tend to keep it and never let it go as it is very rare and very capable. So as said before, if you find 2 per year in any websites you are very lucky.

So after not finding any for sale I went fot a D-FA 150-450mm lens which is a very good lens, I very much like it but it is also very heavy and required me to use a monopod, and on long walks in any circuit/racetrack you end up feeling this.  This lens produces very sharp and very good images, and I love it, but for example you can't (or I can't) zoom in and out with one finger specially in my copy where the zoom is a bit harsh to move. It is a 2nd hand lens. (I have had tested a new lens and it worked better, yet I wasn't able to zoom in and out one finger).

For all this I was keeping my 100-300mm f4. Then I saw at the pentax spanish forum that one guy was selling his own copy of the Sigma 100-300mm f4 APO EX DG and when the price was right I put my copy for sale. And it sold quite quick! 

So i bought that guy's copy and I have to say it looks mint! Mine had use and abuse and even if I was looking after it, you know you could say it had it's age. Let's not forget this is an old lens.

The new copy looks brilliant, yes it had some small use, but overall looks very clean. And I am very much looking forward to be at the track using it !!

I am a happy boy with a new toy! 

I had to explain my little story. 
What would happen with the 150-450mm lens? I don't know yet. Maybe it'll go, maybe it'll stay. Its a very capable lens. BUT if the Sigma retakes it's crown..... we will see. It could start a new 100 years war xDD

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

Wow that Sigma 100-300mm f4 is a real treat for sure! Quite rare and having an aperture ring means it can be easily adapted to mirrorless cameras. 

Great stuff!

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from tristancarlos on November 29, 2023, 9:43 pm

Wow that Sigma 100-300mm f4 is a real treat for sure! Quite rare and having an aperture ring means it can be easily adapted to mirrorless cameras. 

Great stuff!

Most likely it can be adapted. 

Now I have had one for Canon DSLR and it never went as well as I found it working on my Pentax cameras. 

Don't know why.

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo