Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Cheap 2nd hand HD PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm F2.8ED SDM WR I found

So I was checking that website: cashconverters here in spain. Just for fun,and I saw they had this lens,

The HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm f2.8 ED SMD WR lens 2nd hand. The condition wasn't excellent, most likely heavily used and from images I saw there are 2 marks in the front lens / scratches.

Anyways this 1300€ lens was for sale at 410€ and I know from previous purchases in this website that you have 14 days return for free, so I went for it.

It just arrived today.

Yes there are 2 scratches on the front element, yet on my test photos I can't see the scratches. The lens hood is a bit loose, and overall it's been used, so the letters in the lens and the front cap are a bit lost, and from the ring when you just zoom in and out you can feel the rubber is not in place. This i tried to remove the rubber, and I have tried to put it back but still is not good.

So the lens, as my 150-450mm is not that WR anymore.

But hey, it was a bargain. And it even came with an ND filter from Hoya that I have to clean because it also came a bit dirty.

Hopefully this weekend I would be able to test it out in a 24h race (it's about motorbikes) here home if I can get a media pass (I am waiting for the approval).

Let's see how it works and otherwise I will send it back.

Oh, the lens looks beautiful paired with the K3-III i must say 🙂

All the best,

EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

Fingers crossed that the effects of scratches are invisible in particular in your most important images.

It could be worth a try to work with flat frames: on a cloudy day (for very diffuse light) put a white T-Shirt, cloth or similar over the lens hood and take an image of that. In my experience with astrophotography it is a good starting point to choose the exposure so that the hunch in the histogram is around one third away from the left side.

RawTherapee and ART can combine that flat frame with the actual image and reduce effects in regards to brightness introduced by the scratches.

E.

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from EckyH on June 28, 2023, 9:26 pm

Fingers crossed that the effects of scratches are invisible in particular in your most important images.

It could be worth a try to work with flat frames: on a cloudy day (for very diffuse light) put a white T-Shirt, cloth or similar over the lens hood and take an image of that. In my experience with astrophotography it is a good starting point to choose the exposure so that the hunch in the histogram is around one third away from the left side.

RawTherapee and ART can combine that flat frame with the actual image and reduce effects in regards to brightness introduced by the scratches.

E.

Thank you E.

Will keep that in mind

Alright, time for an update:

The lens at 24mm is very very sharp. Very nice. BUT my copy at 70mm is not good, something wrong happened to it, I believe it has been a crash. Luckily I can return it and will do so. At 70mm is not sharp at all and everything is blurry even at 1/1000th of a second.

So, unfortunately it's going back as it came.

Quote from red5isalive on July 2, 2023, 1:19 pm

The lens at 24mm is very very sharp. Very nice. BUT my copy at 70mm is not good, something wrong happened to it, I believe it has been a crash. Luckily I can return it and will do so. At 70mm is not sharp at all and everything is blurry even at 1/1000th of a second.

So, unfortunately it’s going back as it came.

Oh that's a bummer 🙁 sometimes these kinds of lenses do perform worse zoomed in, but that does sound like an issue as this lens should at least be reasonably sharp across the board.

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on July 3, 2023, 2:40 pm
Quote from red5isalive on July 2, 2023, 1:19 pm

So, unfortunately it’s going back as it came.

Oh that’s a bummer ”🙁” sometimes these kinds of lenses do perform worse zoomed in, but that does sound like an issue as this lens should at least be reasonably sharp across the board.

Yeah, it looked promissing but at that price something had to be wrong.
At 70mm it creates really bad quality images,

And once you see them on a computer screen it’s not that the photo was shaky, it’s that the optics had something wrong.

Anyways it’s a great lens, and when sharp it is very sharp. But this copy had to go.

Everything went well and the reimbursment was done 😀

Uplaxer has reacted to this post.
Uplaxer