Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Attraction of Old Forgotten Cameras and your favorites?

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next

My latest buy and probably my last for a while Konica Minolta A2. A seriously capable bridge camera back in 2004.

The picture of the Lumix GM1 was using it. Not bad even by todays standards.

It still looks cool today.

Uploaded files:
  • P8220412.JPG
  • PICT0013.JPG
Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceTSTSJBPEckyH
Quote from Lim on August 22, 2022, 4:54 pm

My latest buy and probably my last for a while Konica Minolta A2. A seriously capable bridge camera back in 2004.

@lim You and I must be on the same wavelength. Everything you're picking up is stuff I have on my alerts to nab someday. Very cool camera. Love that tilty viewfinder!

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on August 24, 2022, 1:19 am

@lim You and I must be on the same wavelength. Everything you're picking up is stuff I have on my alerts to nab someday. Very cool camera. Love that tilty viewfinder!

I'd recommend it if you get past the fact there is some guesswork involved in focusing/ getting the exposure correct. It's really good value. As it has so many features. I think as Konica Minolta exited the camera market shortly after this model the brand doesn't have the name recognition Sony or Canon would have. But it is by no means a lesser camera.

My favorite cameras, wow that's a tough one.

In any case, I think the Olympus E30 is a wonderful camera.
Recently, out of nostalgia, I bought the Konica Minolta Dimage A200 and I forgot how good the pictures were straight out of the camera.

Then I also have the Sony F828, which I can't get rid of, although purple fringing is really a problem. However, I have a lot of admiration for the technology behind the camera.

I think these are my favorite cameras from my collection.

Modern cameras have much more megapixels and often the dynamic range is also greater. As a result, I photograph less consciously. With 8 and 10 megapixels you can crop, but preferably not. In addition, they suffer more from image noise, which I don't always like with the old Olympus cameras. Keeping your ISO low is a challenge for me. In short, I shoot more consciously, take into account the limits of the cameras and lenses and use these "shortcomings" during the creative process.

JBP and EckyH have reacted to this post.
JBPEckyH
Within the limits of my equipment consciously looking for painting with light.
Quote from kcphotogeek on August 5, 2022, 5:06 pm

The IQ out of this rivals the Lumix GX80 with Lumix Leica 12-60mm lens.

Have i found someone else that owns my favourite camera?

also k10d owner here. love that thing, but it has its limits. for most of what i do (candid street stuff) its just too slow for me. ive grown up mirrorless. i wish i had its battery life in all cameras tho!

Is that even street bro?

Another addition thanks to Mondays video the slightly newer Samsung Ex2 with F1.4 lens

Uploaded files:
  • P9280207.JPG
EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH

@lim how is the EVF on the A2? It's 900k dots isn't it? that's crazy for a camera from 2004! How about the sharpness? I read that the lens is pretty soft compared to its competitors (pro1, f828, etc).

@james-warner-b haha been watching this one for a while now too. This is a pretty odd camera and mostly off everyone else's radar but funny to see you eyeing this one as well as the Sony R1.

Ok so Pentax is definitely "Doomed"

Pentax EL-200 (HP C618 variant) running Doom.

I got this one for 8.50 EUR and it looks like a film point and shoot from the 90s.

XPRO9927 by Tristan Carlos, on Flickr

XPRO9931 by Tristan Carlos, on Flickr

Lim and EckyH have reacted to this post.
LimEckyH
Quote from Lim on September 28, 2022, 11:01 am

Another addition thanks to Mondays video the slightly newer Samsung Ex2 with F1.4 lens

I'm interested in the performance of this lens, especially wide open. I think it's the fastest premium compact lens? At least that I've seen.

Kinda cool it is all white. From that brief era where camera manufactures did colors other than silver and black.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from tristancarlos on September 29, 2022, 5:54 pm

@lim how is the EVF on the A2? It's 900k dots isn't it? that's crazy for a camera from 2004! How about the sharpness? I read that the lens is pretty soft compared to its competitors (pro1, f828, etc).

@james-warner-b haha been watching this one for a while now too. This is a pretty odd camera and mostly off everyone else's radar but funny to see you eyeing this one as well as the Sony R1.

It's not bad for its age but nothing like a modern EVF. It's not easy on the eyes. The edges are slightly brighter. I think the screen is better.

The images are quite nice but I haven't used it enough to really explore its photo taking ability. You can get some decent subject separation with it however.

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next