Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Attraction of Old Forgotten Cameras and your favorites?

PreviousPage 2 of 5Next
Quote from kcphotogeek on August 5, 2022, 5:06 pm

But for me the best is (and face it most of us have heard this I'm sure) when people say "that's a nice photo you must have a really good/expensive camera" you get to say actually this is 10yrs old and cost me 150USD. It often inspires, I know several people who've gotten into photography as a result of seeing pictures I took with old cameras or lenses it was something they didn't consider because they assumed it had to be expensive.

I agree with all your points @lim, and then I would add a second to this one by @kcphotogeek. I think taking good photos with old cheap cameras was the main thing that drew me in, and now it's lots of stuff. I just got so sick of everything I read on the internet telling people to buy the latest camera to get better pictures. I thought how can that be possible, when there are pictures I admire from photographers of all ages?🤔 So, it's sort of a rejection of that focus by some photographers.

I don't know if I'm much better though, because instead of chasing always buying the latest camera I'm chasing buying too many old cameras🤣

Favorite old DSLR is my K10D. Just a solid no frills classic DSLR with good output. Newer DSLRs but still kinda old would be K-5 and original K-3.

Favorite compact by far is my 2013 Ricoh GR. But that's not even that old yet.

Favorite all-in-one bridge cameras is the Sony F-828 - great colors, lens, body design, can shoot infrared (now it's getting more expensive though)

There's probably more categories I could choose from and pick winners 😀 I love cameras. But I agree. Something special about using the old and forgotten.

kcphotogeek, JBP and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
kcphotogeekJBPLimEckyH
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on August 6, 2022, 11:56 am
Favorite all-in-one bridge cameras is the Sony F-828 - great colors, lens, body design, can shoot infrared (now it's getting more expensive though)

Favorite bridge camera might not technically be a bridge, it’s the Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm originally I dismissed this in the GXR bundle I bought as it seemed like Ricoh just fused a standard kit lens to a sensor. But the lens is fantastically sharp and the images have a nice character to them.

I do like other brands too in case I’m sounding like a fanboy. Old Olympus EPLs are great value, I’ve heard good things about the Fuji X30 and XM1 from a friend here in Manila must try one out someday

Lim has reacted to this post.
Lim
Kieran
Quote from James Warner on August 6, 2022, 11:56 am

I just got so sick of everything I read on the internet telling people to buy the latest camera to get better pictures. I thought how can that be possible, when there are pictures I admire from photographers of all ages?🤔 So, it's sort of a rejection of that focus by some photographers.

In my opinion in the vast majority of cases the limiting factor is behind the viewfinder (for the record: you surely know at least one photograph where a squirrel looks into the viewfinder - that doesn't count).

Cameras allow everybody to press a shutter button and get an image. Modern cameras and gear make it (much) easier to get a technically good image: in focus, exposure and white balance are OK. For me there is nothing wrong with that - more people than ever before can take technically good images and the lives of professional photographers became easier as well and some new features are huge improvements for special interests like birds in flight or astro photography.

The problem is: photography is not about gear. Photography is painting with light. Nobody seriously think that the great paintings would be better with the latest and most expensive brushes. And that is where the the homework has to be done: to learn composition concepts and photographic techniques, to learn to perceive subjects and surroundings, develop an idea for a photograph, to learn how to choose and use the right technique and tool. Photography is passion and dedication: am I willing to kneel down in the dirt to get the perspective I need to make the image a better photograph than from eye level?

At the moment my fun with an "Old Forgotten Camera" (OFC) like the K10D is the challenge: Am I already good enough to take a good photograph despite the constraints of that camera?

And in my evil moments...
...I choose the oldest and cheapest gear to take part in the regularly photo contest of a German cycling forum, where the "you need modern 35mm equipment to take serious photographs" gear heads regularly show some underwhelming images - just to show that underwhelming images are also possible with old APS-C cameras 😉

E.

JBP and Lim have reacted to this post.
JBPLim
Veni, vidi, serravi.

One thing I'm grateful for these days is good LCD's. I find that if I go back to pre 2010 cameras you can't rely on the LCDs to review a photo. You have to take a few extra photos to make sure you nailed exposure and focus. Even these days budget models have good displays.

Quote from Lim on August 6, 2022, 9:19 pm

One thing I'm grateful for these days is good LCD's. I find that if I go back to pre 2010 cameras you can't rely on the LCDs to review a photo. You have to take a few extra photos to make sure you nailed exposure and focus. Even these days budget models have good displays.

That's a benefit for being older and growing up on film! Anything that lets me see what I'm doing is an upgrade, haha.

I don't mind the old screens at all, as long as I can actually see them (bright light is a problem). They're less likely to suck me in away from the actual thing I'm photographing.

JBP and EckyH have reacted to this post.
JBPEckyH

I agree with everything that's been said thus far. The point about people erroneously thinking you need the latest greatest is well made. This happens in so many hobbies. I feel like it's particularly bad in photography. Old cameras can take the same photographs today that they could when they were new. Yet I see many people, worst of all reviewers, asserting that you need this camera/lens to do such and such. Not that it is easier, but you actually can't do this stuff otherwise. Really? Worst offender is wildlife, particularly bird in flight. "Oh, sure, that Pentax is a fine camera if you only ever want to shoot landscapes or portraits, but they can't do wildlife." OK, buddy, here's some photos to prove you wrong. People were taking wildlife photos with film cameras and manual focus lenses, give me a break. Yes new is easier. Easier is not always better. What's best may be what you can afford, what feels best in hand, what challenges you and forces you to think about what you're doing. It's different for everyone.

For me sometimes the K10D is best purely for sentimental reasons. It has taken photographs of every pet and kid I and my close family have had for 15 years. Maybe I'll choose it over my K-3 for photos of, say, a dog playing fetch for that reason alone. Will I get as many keepers? Maybe a few less. But it can do it, and it can do it with soul and meaning because of that history. When I'm thinking about that, I don't care about some newfangled gnat eye autofocus.

EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH

So, apparently I hadn't learned this lesson yet as of yesterday. I was pretty happy with this photo when reviewing it on the LCD of my K10D, couldn't wait to see it on the computer. lol, Nice branch I have in focus there! Apple totally out of focus. I zoomed in on the back of the camera and thought it was in focus, too. Love these old cameras but yes, absolutely, new ones have their perks. 🤣

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP6667.jpg
Beau Carpenter and EckyH have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterEckyH
Quote from JBP on August 9, 2022, 2:56 pm

So, apparently I hadn't learned this lesson yet as of yesterday. I was pretty happy with this photo when reviewing it on the LCD of my K10D, couldn't wait to see it on the computer. lol, Nice branch I have in focus there! Apple totally out of focus. I zoomed in on the back of the camera and thought it was in focus, too. Love these old cameras but yes, absolutely, new ones have their perks. 🤣

The background looks really nice but the apple looks as sharp as a spoon.

I've got 2 new toys coming in the mail this week. They are definitely old and forgotten so I will add them to this post.

JBPEckyH

These are my latest 2 buys. The original Canon Digital Ixus (Digital ELPH). This was the very first of so many digital Ixus cameras.

The Olympus Camedia 8080. A very powerful (and still decent) bridge camera.

I somewhat prefer the Ixus and I probably will sell the Olympus but I am impressed by its features but it's too big and expensive (for a camera I will only use occasionally) to justify keeping.

I still think the boxy design of the Ixus looks good today. I don't think the later more curvey Ixus cameras look as good.

Uploaded files:
  • P8130201.JPG
  • P8130203.JPG
  • P8130204.JPG
  • P8130206.JPG
JBPEckyH

My K10D was and still my favorite digital camera. Though my heart is now on my KP  The K10D  lasted 14 years!  Never let me down and was a consistent companion on family outings and vacations.  I would have to give My Pentax Optio MX4 a second, That quirky Buck Rogers pistol grip ray gun was such a fun camera, so much that when it began to wear out, I bought another.  Sadly they succumbed to the same sensor challenges.  Now I have a KP and a Q and I am enjoying them immensely, are their better cameras, Yes!, but there is something about the ones I have now that I am thankful I have.

Beau Carpenter, JBP and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterJBPLimEckyH
PreviousPage 2 of 5Next