Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share Your July Photos! (2021)

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next

F5.6 & 6.3, according to my EXIF data. I shot in shutter priority at 1/2000 of a second. The bumblebee is definitely my favorite picture I've ever taken.

Quote from Justin Tung on July 15, 2021, 5:37 pm

Shot a roll of Holga 400 in a new camera... I think the camera did fine, I just flubbed the development a little bit. The film base ended up looking super dark, but there seemed to be a decent amount of dynamic range on the negative. This is what I was able to rescue in the scan.

This was a bit of a test roll to make sure shutter speeds are on point, light seals were good. I also wanted to compare the lens to that on my Autocord, and hopefully figure out which one to keep. The results.... look sharp? But I can't do that much of a comparison without better scans, so this roll kinda felt like a failure. This is probably my favorite shot from this roll:

Oh and there's another thing. This camera's film advance and shutter aren't coupled, so not only was there a blank shot I didn't take and just advanced past, there was also this:

overall I'm hopeful about this camera, but we'll see.

Did you mention the new camera or is it a secret? 😉 I have never shot Holga anything before. It looks nice though. Less contrasty than Tri-X which is my favorite over Ilford Delta. That's the extent of my B&W film knowledge. I am less adventurous on that front I guess 🙂

I really like the basketball hoop shot. It's a really nice composition.

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on July 17, 2021, 1:30 am

Shot a roll of Holga 400 in a new camera... I think the camera did fine, I just flubbed the development a little bit. The film base ended up looking super dark, but there seemed to be a decent amount of dynamic range on the negative. This is what I was able to rescue in the scan.

This was a bit of a test roll to make sure shutter speeds are on point, light seals were good. I also wanted to compare the lens to that on my Autocord, and hopefully figure out which one to keep. The results.... look sharp? But I can't do that much of a comparison without better scans, so this roll kinda felt like a failure. This is probably my favorite shot from this roll:

Oh and there's another thing. This camera's film advance and shutter aren't coupled, so not only was there a blank shot I didn't take and just advanced past, there was also this:

Did you mention the new camera or is it a secret? 😉 I have never shot Holga anything before. It looks nice though. Less contrasty than Tri-X which is my favorite over Ilford Delta. That's the extent of my B&W film knowledge. I am less adventurous on that front I guess 🙂

It's a little bit of a secret haha. I want to do my due diligence and put enough rolls through to write a good review before I unveil it.

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on July 18, 2021, 6:00 am
Quote from Snappy on July 17, 2021, 1:30 am

It's a little bit of a secret haha. I want to do my due diligence and put enough rolls through to write a good review before I unveil it.

Is it a TLR? I'm reckoning after the ground glass post.

Some more shots from the Canon WP-1 and Kodak Gold 200. Northern MN life as usual.

Uploaded files:
  • Image-1-2-1.jpg
  • Image-9-1.jpg
  • Image-2-3.jpg
  • Image-3-3.jpg
  • Image-7-2.jpg
Tristan Carlos, Justin Tung and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosJustin TungKankRatGawad
Quote from SpruceBruce on July 18, 2021, 11:13 am

Some more shots from the Canon WP-1 and Kodak Gold 200. Northern MN life as usual.

Man, that's idyllic if I've ever seen it. Very pretty.

Tristan Carlos and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Nice shots. How do you like that 'yak?

Got a shot of my favorite bird this evening, the green heron.

Clever little devils.  Some learn to use bread (that people feed to ducks) as bait to lure fish close enough so they can snap them up. Apparently they do this with insects too.  I have never witnessed this in person. But there are several videos on You Tube. It's truly amazing.  I did see one snap at a dragonfly repeatedly, but he was quick enough to catch it and I was not fast enough to get a shot.

Green Heron-0294 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad

here is one of those vids.  this blows my mind.

A few internet sources say they elevate the game by using artificial lures like sticks and leaves.

Quote from KankRat on July 22, 2021, 12:46 am

Nice shots. How do you like that 'yak?

It's the Ascend H12, it's very stable and comfortable. It's not ideal for portaging without rollers or if it's more than a few hundred yards.

That Heron shot is perfect!

I was walking around with an old, battle scarred Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 for a walk around the neighborhood when I stumbled upon this. I'm pretty sure I've peaked as a wildlife photographer. Sort of upset that I didn't get the mother bird's eyes in focus, which is made worse by the fact that the scene was backlit so I lost a lot of contrast. I thought that if I got the nest in focus the bird would be in focus too, but I guess that's not the case with a 135mm shot around f/4. Oh well, it was such a special moment!

Uploaded files:
  • Screen-Shot-2021-07-22-at-9.52.30-AM.png
  • DSCF8231.jpg
KankRat, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
KankRatBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency
PreviousPage 3 of 5Next