Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Taste of Photography

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a little overview for photography beginners in the form of a "taste circle". Maybe you are familiar with Whisky or Coffee Tasting for example, where a taste circle shows the different possible tastes and helps the consumer recognize all of the different nuances by guiding the attention to them.

Well, that is what I want to achieve with my "Photography Taste Circle". I want to point out the most important facets of photography, so people can use it to either plan their shots more consciously or evaluate their work better.

I am a bit stuck though and I feel I could use a bit of feedback here. Let's see what you think. Did I forget something important? (I feel like there is something obvious...) Would you sort something differently?

(the design is just a draft)

Any comment / help is greatly appreciated 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • Photo-Circle.png

Content.

fiftyfiveprojects has reacted to this post.
fiftyfiveprojects

Great Take on this. I can see a lot of things that i like in there, just that its quite ambigugous. sometimes i like strong contrast, sometimes i like light contrast. its a great way to categorise images tho. good job!

fiftyfiveprojects has reacted to this post.
fiftyfiveprojects
Is that even street bro?

This is a really cool idea! I have never heard of a taste circle, but I think by this example I get the idea. I could see using this as something to evaluate my images, especially if I'm stuck where something doesn't look quite right but I can't tell what it is.

No thoughts on the general organization yet, that looks pretty good to me. The wheel system and how things broke down made sense to me pretty quickly even as someone who has never seen one before, so that's good. I think I'm being thrown off by the colors though. There doesn't seem to be really flow to that so instead of draws my eyes all over the place. I'm sure you would get to that later as it's a draft. Not sure exactly how I would do it, other than maybe bright colors for the inner circle, then go darker as you go out (controls sense of depth which might help guide eyes where to look first).  Maybe each quadrant needs to be it's own color, that then gets different shades as it goes out.

Well, I'm no graphic designer so take my feedback with a grain of salt, but I definitely think the idea is cool.

SpruceBruce and fiftyfiveprojects have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucefiftyfiveprojects
Happy snappin' 🙂

Wow, thanks for the great feedback!

@estelon_agarwaen for me it is the same. For some scenes I prefer one style or another. I just want to try to make a bit more conscious decisions about how I compose a shot in the end.

@snappy I feel like I will struggle with the design part a bit as well. Especially cause it is so finicky with the radius of the text elements and so on.

I'll post an update, when there is something new 🙂

Oh this is such a clever idea! I really like this. Think you've broken down a lot of the most critical parts.

Finally had the chance to work a bit on it again to tweak the design. Here the final "tase circle" 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • Taste-Circle.png