Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Sony Cybershot 707 - memory stick

Just want to confirm the type of memory stick that the Cybershot F707.

Would this work? 

https://www.amazon.ca/HuaDaWei-Speed-Memory-Stick-MSMT32G/dp/B0735DV7QZ/ref=sr_1_12

Hello there 👋

That card will not work. Sony was very confusing with their naming standards, and it's gotten me in trouble before getting the right card.

You need a Memory Stick or Memory Stick Pro - anything with DUO in the name is a smaller form factor card that will not work. 

Here's a pic of my cards to illustrate the difference

Uploaded files:
  • PXL_20230903_012916228.jpg
main.ice and OutspaceKat have reacted to this post.
main.iceOutspaceKat
Happy snappin' 🙂

Thank you so much! I heard "gum stick" and the Amazon one didn't quite look gum sticky, but I don't chew gum so didn't really have a reference. I appreciate you taking a photo of the two together! Looks like eBay may be my best source for these? 128MB be okay? I was reading that certain sizes won't work.

Also, would you know the print size of 5MB? I have a Pentax K3, 23MB, and this 5MB Sony Cybershot. I take mostly cat shots which all are incredibly important of course, but for storage reasons, I might be using the Cybershot more and just wonder if I get a good gem of a photo, how large I could make a print?

Edit: Will either of these work? They look slightly different to yours since they don't have the full circle,

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/275393890609?epid=2257044366

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/225593279528?hash=item3486684428

Quote from main.ice on September 3, 2023, 3:26 am

Thank you so much! I heard "gum stick" and the Amazon one didn't quite look gum sticky, but I don't chew gum so didn't really have a reference. I appreciate you taking a photo of the two together! Looks like eBay may be my best source for these? 128MB be okay? I was reading that certain sizes won't work.

Also, would you know the print size of 5MB? I have a Pentax K3, 23MB, and this 5MB Sony Cybershot. I take mostly cat shots which all are incredibly important of course, but for storage reasons, I might be using the Cybershot more and just wonder if I get a good gem of a photo, how large I could make a print?

Edit: Will either of these work? They look slightly different to yours since they don't have the full circle,

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/275393890609?epid=2257044366

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/225593279528?hash=item3486684428

Yep, either of those cards will work. The only difference between memory stick and memory stick PRO is that the PRO has higher capacities. The F707 supports PRO, so it can handle those higher capacities.

You should get a comfortable 8x10 from a 5mp file. The other thing is that upscaling images these days in software is getting really good, so if you had a keeper and wanted a much larger print, you could go that route.

main.ice has reacted to this post.
main.ice
Happy snappin' 🙂

Thank you very much! I'll stick with those two listed for now. I really appreciate your help. I hope you had a wonderful long weekend.

Cheers,

OutspaceKat has reacted to this post.
OutspaceKat

I just got an F828 off eBay and am ordering a memory stick pro to micro sd adapter which comes with a 4 gb micro sd. Do either of you know if there is a limit to the size of the micro sd cards that can be used with the f828? I saw a post somewhere else that said their camera (I can’t remember the specific model) couldn’t read sd cards larger than 4 which made me wonder. I don’t even know the size of the files that come off the f828 yet, so 4 gb might be enough, but I was just curious. 

Quote from sandresen on November 14, 2023, 4:26 pm

I just got an F828 off eBay and am ordering a memory stick pro to micro sd adapter which comes with a 4 gb micro sd. Do either of you know if there is a limit to the size of the micro sd cards that can be used with the f828? I saw a post somewhere else that said their camera (I can’t remember the specific model) couldn’t read sd cards larger than 4 which made me wonder. I don’t even know the size of the files that come off the f828 yet, so 4 gb might be enough, but I was just curious. 

Ok, so I've read some of the same things you have. Here's what I know for a fact. 

I have a memory stick pro with an adapter and 4 gig card and it works fine. I haven't tried larger.

I have tried an old 32gig cf card and by George did it seem to work. Showed some insane picture count.

However, it kept giving me random access issues. I don't know if it was the large card size or something else that caused this error as I have had similar errors which I think are related to a bad battery.

As such, I'd really recommend staying away from something larger than 4 gigs, just to be on the safe side. The tech is old and who knows what problems you could cause trying to use beyond what's intended.

On 8mb raw mode I think I get something like 200 shoots on the 4 gig card. I think I have exceeded that count once so I've found the 4 gig size to be perfect for my needs.