Please or Register to create posts and topics.

So I finally bought a K3-III

PreviousPage 4 of 8Next

I was testing the camera now with two of my zoom lenses here home, at night. It's dark and I usually shoot in TV mode and I was doing so.

Now I have an issue maybe you guys know how to help me out.

I have seen that the camera doesn't keep the Speed I asked her to (1/200sec) but varies depending on the light I believe. So it went down to 1/8th of a second, 1/25th, 1/125th.... and so on. But rarely it keeps the speed I requested her to do.

I was playing with the menus, and probably I have touched something I should not have. But, might you have any idea on what's going on here?

Thanks!!

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

I have noticed the following:

I have added a superior limit on ISO to 3200 ISO maximum.

It seems to me that this is making the camera (by some menu I should have changed) shoot a picture with "enough light" instead of shooting at the required Speed / parameters requested by the user.

Now, how to solve this? I don't know xD

BR,

Quote from red5isalive on January 8, 2023, 11:15 pm

It seems to me that this is making the camera (by some menu I should have changed) shoot a picture with "enough light" instead of shooting at the required Speed / parameters requested by the user.

BR,

My K3III is buried in storage, or else I'd play around to check this for you! I mostly shoot it in Tv mode though for wildlife, so I am very familiar with that and it's always stuck my shutter speed. I am pretty sure I set my ISO to max at 12800, but maybe I just let it run free? I can't remember. Either way I thought it would just under expose the image, not change the shutter speed for you...

Here's the manual: https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3-3.pdf

Starting on page 50 it goes through the modes. On page 53 it describes some Hyper mode that can be activated, which then allows Tv to be used prioritizing the settings in the order they were last manually set. This seems a little confusing at first, but may be what you're running into?

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on January 9, 2023, 1:59 am

BR,

My K3III is buried in storage, or else I'd play around to check this for you! I mostly shoot it in Tv mode though for wildlife, so I am very familiar with that and it's always stuck my shutter speed. I am pretty sure I set my ISO to max at 12800, but maybe I just let it run free? I can't remember. Either way I thought it would just under expose the image, not change the shutter speed for you...

Here's the manual: https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3-3.pdf

Starting on page 50 it goes through the modes. On page 53 it describes some Hyper mode that can be activated, which then allows Tv to be used prioritizing the settings in the order they were last manually set. This seems a little confusing at first, but may be what you're running into?

Thank you James,

My camera came with a User Manual in French and I don't get it xDDD so it's quite useless for me hehe

BR,

Thank you James,

My camera came with a User Manual in French and I don't get it xDDD so it's quite useless for me hehe

BR,

I've got an answer in the spanish forum and it seems this was the reason.

In Spanish " Comprueba que en el menú de ajustes de imagen fija (el icono de la cámara) , ajustes de exposición(2), compensación EV auto, lo tienes configurado en OFF. Si lo tienes en ON la cámara compensa automáticamente y cambia ella sola los valores AV/TV."

So he was telling me to check the EV Compensation Auto as if it was on ON or OFF.

It seems that being in ON does that the camera picks whatever speeds and parameters she wants in order to capture the image and switches from modes TV to AV.

So now you guys also know.
On "Icon Camera", Menu 2, EV Compensation Auto (or similar, i am translating it from Spanish) ON makes the camera behave like this, OFF doesn't,

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Quote from JBP on January 5, 2023, 6:19 pm

Had a chance to shoot a running dog today. 🙂 It was a fantastic experience. The camera is so much more confident, predictable, and accurate than the K-3. I felt like I got way more keepers than usual. I did tabulate the results and I guess they paint a different picture than I felt as I was shooting and looking at the back of the camera, but it was my first go at it and I still have to get more experience with the camera and dial in the settings. Here is a tabulation of my results, with some low quality collages just to show what I was photographing. All the images in the collages are actually in perfect focus.

I've included the camera settings I used, in order from top to bottom in the AF menu.

First collage is images 6-9 in Run 2, and the second is 12-15 in Run 2.

The Flickr image is my favorite shot of the bunch and is cropped.

IMGP0361 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

So I looked at these photos again and realized I would sometimes zoom out as the dog got closer. So no wonder some shots were completely out of focus! In the first run I did that after the camera already lost focus, so we won't throw those out. But in the third run the camera lost focus only after I zoomed out - so my fault! Throwing the user error shots out we have 65% hit rate in the first run, 100% in run 2, and 67% in run 3.

Can't wait to try again. I think without user error this camera can really deliver!

Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from red5isalive on January 9, 2023, 7:20 am

BR,

Thank you James,

BR,

In Spanish " Comprueba que en el menú de ajustes de imagen fija (el icono de la cámara) , ajustes de exposición(2), compensación EV auto, lo tienes configurado en OFF. Si lo tienes en ON la cámara compensa automáticamente y cambia ella sola los valores AV/TV."

So he was telling me to check the EV Compensation Auto as if it was on ON or OFF.

It seems that being in ON does that the camera picks whatever speeds and parameters she wants in order to capture the image and switches from modes TV to AV.

On "Icon Camera", Menu 2, EV Compensation Auto (or similar, i am translating it from Spanish) ON makes the camera behave like this, OFF doesn't,

Nice! Glad you found the solution. Thanks for sharing too, now I know what to look for that. 🙂

SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez
Quote from JBP on January 9, 2023, 5:39 pm

Had a chance to shoot a running dog today. 🙂 It was a fantastic experience. The camera is so much more confident, predictable, and accurate than the K-3. I felt like I got way more keepers than usual. I did tabulate the results and I guess they paint a different picture than I felt as I was shooting and looking at the back of the camera, but it was my first go at it and I still have to get more experience with the camera and dial in the settings. Here is a tabulation of my results, with some low quality collages just to show what I was photographing. All the images in the collages are actually in perfect focus.

I've included the camera settings I used, in order from top to bottom in the AF menu.

So I looked at these photos again and realized I would sometimes zoom out as the dog got closer. So no wonder some shots were completely out of focus! In the first run I did that after the camera already lost focus, so we won't throw those out. But in the third run the camera lost focus only after I zoomed out - so my fault! Throwing the user error shots out we have 65% hit rate in the first run, 100% in run 2, and 67% in run 3.

Can't wait to try again. I think without user error this camera can really deliver!

That's interesting.

At the end of the day the human touch has to be somewhere too 🙂

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from JBP on January 9, 2023, 5:41 pm
Quote from red5isalive on January 9, 2023, 7:20 am

BR,

Thank you James,

BR,

Nice! Glad you found the solution. Thanks for sharing too, now I know what to look for that. 🙂

Your Welcome,

That's why I posted it.

And it worked I must say.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from red5isalive on January 9, 2023, 7:30 pm
Quote from JBP on January 9, 2023, 5:39 pm

That's interesting.

At the end of the day the human touch has to be somewhere too 🙂

Had another photo shoot with the doggo running around today. I'm wholly satisfied with the camera's performance at that task. I haven't tabulated the results this time but I remembered not to zoom in or out during a salvo and the vast majority of them are in focus. Super pleased!

Really the only thing left to test for my photography needs is birds in flight. I'm optimistic. 🙂

Daniel Gonzalez
PreviousPage 4 of 8Next