Please or Register to create posts and topics.

So I finally bought a K3-III

PreviousPage 3 of 8Next
Quote from JBP on January 4, 2023, 10:25 pm
Quote from red5isalive on January 4, 2023, 6:56 pm

Mine arrived today!

It's beautiful!

Mine too!! Haha, That is awesome! It sure is a beauty, isn't it? And feels so good in the hand! I can't get over how responsive it is. It's just so fast to do everything, and all the buttons and controls feel so great. Love it. πŸ™‚ I gave it a good first test in the rain - but no action shots yet unfortunately. I had a blast. πŸ™‚

Sweet!

Mine has not left my house, yet.
To be honest it is a very comfortable camera. When I first tested it some months ago it just felt so good, you feel at home.

I'd say (i was doing this yesterday) or I'd recomend you to check that video from Kobie Clark where he explains about the menus, and functionalities and how to set up the camera.

Plus did you knew you can use an Electronic Shutter if your firmware is updated to 1.10 or latest version?

I did checked it also yesterday.

And the crop mode is fantastic, now you can choose (i think it's from firmware 1.70 on) if you want it to be 1.3x cropped (that's the original settings from firmware 1.0) or 1.7x cropped image if you choose to select the option "Crop".

Enjoy it πŸ™‚

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

Had a chance to shoot a running dog today. πŸ™‚ It was a fantastic experience. The camera is so much more confident, predictable, and accurate than the K-3. I felt like I got way more keepers than usual. I did tabulate the results and I guess they paint a different picture than I felt as I was shooting and looking at the back of the camera, but it was my first go at it and I still have to get more experience with the camera and dial in the settings. Here is a tabulation of my results, with some low quality collages just to show what I was photographing. All the images in the collages are actually in perfect focus.

I've included the camera settings I used, in order from top to bottom in the AF menu.

First collage is images 6-9 in Run 2, and the second is 12-15 in Run 2.

The Flickr image is my favorite shot of the bunch and is cropped.

IMGP0361 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Uploaded files:
  • 1_5_23-results.jpg
  • img-6-9.jpg
  • img-12-15.jpg
EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH
Quote from red5isalive on January 5, 2023, 5:57 pm

Mine arrived today!

It's beautiful!

Mine too!! Haha, That is awesome! It sure is a beauty, isn't it? And feels so good in the hand! I can't get over how responsive it is. It's just so fast to do everything, and all the buttons and controls feel so great. Love it. πŸ™‚ I gave it a good first test in the rain - but no action shots yet unfortunately. I had a blast. πŸ™‚

Sweet!

To be honest it is a very comfortable camera. When I first tested it some months ago it just felt so good, you feel at home.

I'd say (i was doing this yesterday) or I'd recomend you to check that video from Kobie Clark where he explains about the menus, and functionalities and how to set up the camera.

Plus did you knew you can use an Electronic Shutter if your firmware is updated to 1.10 or latest version?

And the crop mode is fantastic, now you can choose (i think it's from firmware 1.70 on) if you want it to be 1.3x cropped (that's the original settings from firmware 1.0) or 1.7x cropped image if you choose to select the option "Crop".

Enjoy it πŸ™‚

Ah it looks like we were posting at the same time. πŸ™‚ Check out my action shot results in the post above, I'd love to see what you think!

I will check those videos out, thank you! When would you want to use the crop mode in-camera vs cropping after? I've never had a crop mode before so that's new territory for me. πŸ™‚

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from JBP on January 5, 2023, 6:19 pm

Had a chance to shoot a running dog today. πŸ™‚ It was a fantastic experience. The camera is so much more confident, predictable, and accurate than the K-3. I felt like I got way more keepers than usual. I did tabulate the results and I guess they paint a different picture than I felt as I was shooting and looking at the back of the camera, but it was my first go at it and I still have to get more experience with the camera and dial in the settings. Here is a tabulation of my results, with some low quality collages just to show what I was photographing. All the images in the collages are actually in perfect focus.

I've included the camera settings I used, in order from top to bottom in the AF menu.

Those are beautiful images πŸ™‚

Yes I think the camera is way more capable than their predecessors,

Hopefully combining the new features and the knowledge from others like Kobie will help improve them even more πŸ˜€

JBP
Quote from JBP on January 5, 2023, 7:01 pm
Quote from red5isalive on January 5, 2023, 5:57 pm

Mine arrived today!

It's beautiful!

Sweet!

Enjoy it πŸ™‚

Ah it looks like we were posting at the same time. πŸ™‚ Check out my action shot results in the post above, I'd love to see what you think!

I will check those videos out, thank you! When would you want to use the crop mode in-camera vs cropping after? I've never had a crop mode before so that's new territory for me. πŸ™‚

For example for me the first time I borrowed the camera I went to Monaco to shoot Formula E and my lens did not had the reach I wanted (I wanted a longer lens) there I tested the crop mode. I was at the exit of the tunnel and my lens was only up to 200mm. I knew because I was there sometime before, that 300mm was okay-ish and than longer than that would be great. There I tested the cropping mode on the camera.

Of course you can do it in post-production but that means that if I have taken 50 shots maybe i'd need to do this thing in every single one.

I'd say the crop thing will help not using teleconverters for example, or not so often. As usually TC's use to loose some quality and bring more aberrations to the images (more glass, more light defraction I think it is). I think there is when you want to use the in-camera crop capability.

JBP
Quote from red5isalive on January 6, 2023, 10:18 am

Hopefully combining the new features and the knowledge from others like Kobie will help improve them even more πŸ˜€

I think you're right! Today it was snowing heavily and my daughter was playing far away. I had the 55-300 PLM @ 300mm and was in expanded area AF-C. The points would stay on her eye even as I moved the camera around to recompose, despite all the snow falling between us. Very impressed!

Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from JBP on January 6, 2023, 4:56 pm

I think you're right! Today it was snowing heavily and my daughter was playing far away. I had the 55-300 PLM @ 300mm and was in expanded area AF-C. The points would stay on her eye even as I moved the camera around to recompose, despite all the snow falling between us. Very impressed!

That is awesome.

Plus I think you can made it focus on the eye with some function the camera has.

JBP
Quote from red5isalive on January 6, 2023, 10:16 pm

That is awesome.

Plus I think you can made it focus on the eye with some function the camera has.

You are correct! I didn't realize it but when I turned the camera on again tonight it was on Auto-27. So it was focusing on her eye itself with the OVF eye detect! It works way better than I expected! It seems to work really well with a live subject. I tested previously with pictures on a computer screen and wasn't too impressed. I guess the depth on the face matters vs a flat image.

Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from JBP on January 6, 2023, 11:34 pm
Quote from red5isalive on January 6, 2023, 10:16 pm

That is awesome.

You are correct! I didn't realize it but when I turned the camera on again tonight it was on Auto-27. So it was focusing on her eye itself with the OVF eye detect! It works way better than I expected! It seems to work really well with a live subject. I tested previously with pictures on a computer screen and wasn't too impressed. I guess the depth on the face matters vs a flat image.

That's is interesting. Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

I'm finding that eye detect works even in the zone select modes, not just the auto modes. It's a little odd actually, because the focus point is jumping to an eye even when I don't want to focus on one! I can focus the middle focus point on the nose and it will jump to an eye in all focus modes except for the ones with only one focus point. It even does this with subject recognition off, and in any custom image profile (I read the you had to be in "auto select" but apparently not). Weird! It's cool that it works so well but odd that I can't seem to turn it off! haha More testing required.

Daniel Gonzalez
PreviousPage 3 of 8Next