Please or Register to create posts and topics.

So I finally bought a K3-III

PreviousPage 2 of 8Next
Quote from JBP on January 2, 2023, 3:51 pm
Quote from red5isalive on January 2, 2023, 7:46 am
Quote from JBP on January 2, 2023, 5:11 am
Quote from red5isalive on January 1, 2023, 9:45 pm
Quote from JBP on January 1, 2023, 1:45 pm

Oh man, congrats!! I'm excited for you! You are one who will definitely put the improvements of the K-3iii to good use. Can't wait to see your photography with it. πŸ™‚

Thank you!

Yes, since the day it came out I was wondering. And after trying it in 3 events I had clear that this could be THE one. But prices were too expensive for me.

Same here! It has come down a bit in price now so I suppose I could technically get it now, but... do I need it? I tell myself I'd get so many more keepers of my kids (I'm sure I would) but most parents are content with just their cell phones, so it feels like an excuse. But, life is short and I've waited almost 2 years already. If I wait too long there will be the next thing and I'll be back to waiting again. πŸ™ƒ

So in other words, I may be joining you very soon! We'll see! My birthday is coming up and I resisted the urge last year. This time, maybe I take the plunge and treat myself.

Yes, I think so too.

I mean for me it was a no brainer. And I usually use 2 cameras and both are up to 185 to 192K actuations each, so then they'll need a replacement someday this year or next one probably.

I understand the "i don't need it" mentality as I was in the same mental point until yesterday.

Wow, with that many actuations it's definitely a no-brainer. I should check how many my bodies have.

Having two cameras on you is such a treat sometimes. I've started lugging two when lens changes are bad idea: on a kayak, on a hike when there's precipitation, or when I'm on the beach. I'm not sure which I'd keep if I got a K-3iii... K-3 or K-5iis. I've fallen in love with the K-5iis sensor so I'm leaning toward that. But the K-3 can drive my PLM lens and has better AF.Β  Are you going to keep one or both of your old cameras to keep using two cameras at a time? Are they both K-3's?

I actually have 3, but my K5 only gets out of home in special days or holidays, haha. She has also had a hard life with me πŸ˜› **

She has even shoot Formula 1 succesfuly!

Mines are a K3 Silver and a K3-II that I bought (that second one) at a very good price. I think I might sell this one. Due to the fact that the Silver is a more rare model and I had it with the original grip that I find that works better than my K3-II with the clonic battery grip I had for it.

Plus the K3 Silver has 2000 pictures done less than the K3-II.

I have heard for so long that the K5-IIs was the camera I needed for action, and yet I have never tried any.

From the K5 what I liked (and still do) is not only the ISO 80 but also how well does it work with shadows, something that the K3 Series don't do, they handle better higher lights. So, in your case, I think it's a hard decission. Plus you have to keep in mind that probably you'll sell any of them for a very cheap price as not many people are willing to buy them (same will happen to me).

So, which one to pick? Which one is your favourite from the two of them?

So the K5-IIs doesn't handle PLM motors? I did not knew this :-S

** wait I also own a K1000 so it might make it four πŸ˜›

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo
Quote from red5isalive on January 2, 2023, 6:24 pm

Oh man, congrats!! I'm excited for you! You are one who will definitely put the improvements of the K-3iii to good use. Can't wait to see your photography with it. πŸ™‚

Thank you!

Yes, since the day it came out I was wondering. And after trying it in 3 events I had clear that this could be THE one. But prices were too expensive for me.

Same here! It has come down a bit in price now so I suppose I could technically get it now, but... do I need it? I tell myself I'd get so many more keepers of my kids (I'm sure I would) but most parents are content with just their cell phones, so it feels like an excuse. But, life is short and I've waited almost 2 years already. If I wait too long there will be the next thing and I'll be back to waiting again. πŸ™ƒ

So in other words, I may be joining you very soon! We'll see! My birthday is coming up and I resisted the urge last year. This time, maybe I take the plunge and treat myself.

Yes, I think so too.

I mean for me it was a no brainer. And I usually use 2 cameras and both are up to 185 to 192K actuations each, so then they'll need a replacement someday this year or next one probably.

I understand the "i don't need it" mentality as I was in the same mental point until yesterday.

Wow, with that many actuations it's definitely a no-brainer. I should check how many my bodies have.

Having two cameras on you is such a treat sometimes. I've started lugging two when lens changes are bad idea: on a kayak, on a hike when there's precipitation, or when I'm on the beach. I'm not sure which I'd keep if I got a K-3iii... K-3 or K-5iis. I've fallen in love with the K-5iis sensor so I'm leaning toward that. But the K-3 can drive my PLM lens and has better AF.Β  Are you going to keep one or both of your old cameras to keep using two cameras at a time? Are they both K-3's?

I actually have 3, but my K5 only gets out of home in special days or holidays, haha. She has also had a hard life with me πŸ˜› **

Mines are a K3 Silver and a K3-II that I bought (that second one) at a very good price. I think I might sell this one. Due to the fact that the Silver is a more rare model and I had it with the original grip that I find that works better than my K3-II with the clonic battery grip I had for it.

I have heard for so long that the K5-IIs was the camera I needed for action, and yet I have never tried any.

From the K5 what I liked (and still do) is not only the ISO 80 but also how well does it work with shadows, something that the K3 Series don't do, they handle better higher lights. So, in your case, I think it's a hard decission. Plus you have to keep in mind that probably you'll sell any of them for a very cheap price as not many people are willing to buy them (same will happen to me).

A good collection! I too have a K1000 which sadly is rarely used. Such a cool old camera.

Yes the K-5 sensor seems to have better dynamic range in addition to handling high ISO better. It really is a gem. Sounds like you'll always have that K-5. πŸ™‚ It may be the same for me. As long as it keeps working, that is. I bought it used in very rough cosmetic shape but it works perfectly. So the resale value is not so much. So between that and the wonderful sensor, I think I'll keep it. πŸ™‚

Well, from what I understand the PLM will work but you lose aperture control. I actually haven't tried it yet on my K-5. Could be a fun experiment. πŸ™‚

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from JBP on January 2, 2023, 6:42 pm

Thank you!

Yes, I think so too.

A good collection! I too have a K1000 which sadly is rarely used. Such a cool old camera.

Yes the K-5 sensor seems to have better dynamic range in addition to handling high ISO better. It really is a gem. Sounds like you'll always have that K-5. πŸ™‚ It may be the same for me. As long as it keeps working, that is. I bought it used in very rough cosmetic shape but it works perfectly. So the resale value is not so much. So between that and the wonderful sensor, I think I'll keep it. πŸ™‚

Well, from what I understand the PLM will work but you lose aperture control. I actually haven't tried it yet on my K-5. Could be a fun experiment. πŸ™‚

Ahh I see, I did not knew this.

Yes that K5 i just adore it. Plus I bought it 2nd hand in a trip to Japan back in 2014 when I had the K-r as my only camera and I payed there half of the price of what was been requested here in Europe.

I like it so much that my Dad whom wanted to take pictures bought one too as he saw it's compact, and nice. A friend of mine that also wanted to start taking images, after he borrowed my camera for a couple days, he also decided to go for a K5. (and for the price 2nd hand now, it's just a no brainer)

Personally I think this camera is gonna be a classic camera like Canon considers it's 5D an iconic camera, I do think the Pentax K5 is such a camera that should be considered there too.

For me, even thought it's an old camera now, it's a camera of it's own.

JBP

I am a bit late but wow, great stuff! I really think the K-3 iii was made for you! πŸ˜€

Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from tristancarlos on January 2, 2023, 8:40 pm

I am a bit late but wow, great stuff! I really think the K-3 iii was made for you! πŸ˜€

Thanks! πŸ˜€

Quote from red5isalive on January 2, 2023, 7:39 pm

Thank you!

Yes, I think so too.

Yes that K5 i just adore it. Plus I bought it 2nd hand in a trip to Japan back in 2014 when I had the K-r as my only camera and I payed there half of the price of what was been requested here in Europe.

I like it so much that my Dad whom wanted to take pictures bought one too as he saw it's compact, and nice. A friend of mine that also wanted to start taking images, after he borrowed my camera for a couple days, he also decided to go for a K5. (and for the price 2nd hand now, it's just a no brainer)

Personally I think this camera is gonna be a classic camera like Canon considers it's 5D an iconic camera, I do think the Pentax K5 is such a camera that should be considered there too.

Your K-5 has a story behind it, definitely a keeper! The sentimental value is part of the reason I feel like I'll never part with my K10D. It has taken photos of everything I love since I got it back in 2008 (I think it was 2008 anyway). You are so right, the K-5 is one of those Hall of Fame cameras, I think!

Also I have a confession to make. I bought a K-3iii last night! Now to eagerly await its arrival. I'm not quite sure why I finally caved in. But I waited almost 2 years, the price has come down substantially, and I am tired of obsessing about it lol. I will of course be selling gear to recoup the cost. I haven't decided 100% yet but I'm afraid I'll be parting ways with my K-3 mark 1. The K-5 is just such a gem I think it's gotta stay. πŸ™‚

Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from JBP on January 3, 2023, 5:44 pm

Thank you!

Yes, I think so too.

Your K-5 has a story behind it, definitely a keeper! The sentimental value is part of the reason I feel like I'll never part with my K10D. It has taken photos of everything I love since I got it back in 2008 (I think it was 2008 anyway). You are so right, the K-5 is one of those Hall of Fame cameras, I think!

Also I have a confession to make. I bought a K-3iii last night! Now to eagerly await its arrival. I'm not quite sure why I finally caved in. But I waited almost 2 years, the price has come down substantially, and I am tired of obsessing about it lol. I will of course be selling gear to recoup the cost. I haven't decided 100% yet but I'm afraid I'll be parting ways with my K-3 mark 1. The K-5 is just such a gem I think it's gotta stay. πŸ™‚

Hahahaha congrats! Well done!

It was the same for me, so I feel you.

Specially since my (well now one of the 2 I own) Sigma 100-300mm f4 fell off in 2020 (2 years ago) and I tried to repair it and it was so hard to have it 100% functional, and then all of a sudden one day yes, another day not, randomly it decides to burn my pics and not close aperture, etc.... THAT was huge for me.

Because I was in a way where I did not know what to do.

I first decided to change my way to take pics and use mainly my 50-135mm f2.8 and while yes that works, some longer telephoto is needed to complement this. So I bought a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 (luckily fairly cheap) and it works. Its a cool lens. BUT it's not the same. Not as fast and it was a bit frustrating.Β  I ended up selling it.

Then I thought about selling everything and buying a D500 and a Sigma 100-300mm f4. I thought "you know this lens is so cheap for Canon and Nikon mount", and I was almost there. Because I got a Canon 7D Mark I and i bought a cheap Sigma 100-300mm f4. But boy, that struggled focusing in AragΓ³n (where it can be very warm) while shooting bikes. It was a pain in the butt.

So I sold the 7D and got the 100-300mm f4 Canon Mount to use it as spares for my Sigma 100-300mm f4 Pentax. That quite worked but again, the lens decides wheter it wants to burn images randomly. So that's not an option for me.

Now, what to do next? I really really was very comfused and thinking about what to do all the time. Also the D500 is great but it's price....and I'd need two of those + at least 3 lenses (short telephoto, medium telephoto and long telephoto lens and two flashes + those memory cards ultra quick the D500 use) which would mean maybe 6 to 8K € second hand. Money that is 3 or 4 times the cost of my car 10 years ago. So... not really an option, i am not rich.

Then what to do? What to do? What should I do? Maybe a Pentax DA* 300mm f4? But that's not flexible. And I need a flexible range.

So that Sigma 100-300mm f4 came out on ebay, and I went for it and bought it.

BUT idiotic me, as happy I was seing one for sale in Pentax mount, I did not realised it was not the APO version. Not the one I have and wanted. It's a great lens, no doubt, but it wasn't THE one I was looking after.

Then with this lens I had it kinda solved.

And many months later I decided to buy the AW Pentax 1.4x TC as I had been thinking about it for 2 or 3 years.

* Of course in this period I was able to Test the K3-III exactly three times and I thought "this is what I need no matter the lens", but at 2.000€ it was still not an option for me to buy it in this period of time.

So what happened at the end?

This last month I have re-tested the Pentax 150-450mm and THIS is the lens I needed since the begining. Yes it's very expensive and heavy, but no matter if PLM or not, I have had a 55-300mm in the past and even if it's a nice lens, that time was long gone for me.

So I was saving and starting to put on sale my Sigma 100-300mm f4, the Sigma 1.4x TC that come with it, a SMC Pentax F 50mm f1.7 I had here, and I bought a Sigma 120-400mm lately but just to find out it doesn't pair that well with the Pentax 1.4x TC and that it's AF is not that fast. So I have also put that one for sale. Oh, and the spare parts Sigma 100-300mm f4 Canon mount also.

Now, I need all of those to sell someday maybe.

Also lately I was considering the K3-III due to two reasons:

1. Both my K3 and K3-II have a tone of photos done on each one (190K photos on one and 192K photos on the other one),
  2. As for Christmas my company gives us a voucher for Amazon so I thought I might use those 150€ in a K3-III IF there'd be any at a reasonable price. And then one came out at 1180 euros or so, so it was my moment. That got cancelled. But my mind was already set up to go for it.
  3. Well wait, there's a 3rd one I just remembered. I just saw a K3-III Jet-Black on Ebay at around 1500-1600€ and I was madly tempted to buy it. Luckily someone else did that before I did.
  4. Okay sorry there are 4 points. And also a big one, actually. The Pentax K3-III i was able to test 3 times in 2021 is from Pentax Spain and I have been asking them now and then when would they sell it and to sell it to me, but it seems that it is the only copy they have and it's always the same reply "We can not do it now, but whenever we sell it, we'll let you know", and it's been more than a year like this. So I did not wanted to wait more for them either.

And then you mix all this and one copy went for sale at a correct price, the seller seems to have the correct stadistics (votes, % of good evaluations and so on.....) and here we are waiting for a K3-III.

So, I can feel you. I know what do you mean. Same here. It's been a long period of awaiting.But I think this will make us appreciate more every single moment with the K3-III.

Now it's time to wait, let us know when you get yours and what your thoughts are πŸ™‚

JBP
Quote from red5isalive on January 3, 2023, 10:32 pm
Quote from JBP on January 3, 2023, 5:44 pm

Thank you!

Yes, I think so too.

Hahahaha congrats! Well done!

It was the same for me, so I feel you.

Specially since my (well now one of the 2 I own) Sigma 100-300mm f4 fell off in 2020 (2 years ago) and I tried to repair it and it was so hard to have it 100% functional, and then all of a sudden one day yes, another day not, randomly it decides to burn my pics and not close aperture, etc.... THAT was huge for me.

Because I was in a way where I did not know what to do.

I first decided to change my way to take pics and use mainly my 50-135mm f2.8 and while yes that works, some longer telephoto is needed to complement this. So I bought a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 (luckily fairly cheap) and it works. Its a cool lens. BUT it's not the same. Not as fast and it was a bit frustrating.Β  I ended up selling it.

Then I thought about selling everything and buying a D500 and a Sigma 100-300mm f4. I thought "you know this lens is so cheap for Canon and Nikon mount", and I was almost there. Because I got a Canon 7D Mark I and i bought a cheap Sigma 100-300mm f4. But boy, that struggled focusing in AragΓ³n (where it can be very warm) while shooting bikes. It was a pain in the butt.

So I sold the 7D and got the 100-300mm f4 Canon Mount to use it as spares for my Sigma 100-300mm f4 Pentax. That quite worked but again, the lens decides wheter it wants to burn images randomly. So that's not an option for me.

Now, what to do next? I really really was very comfused and thinking about what to do all the time. Also the D500 is great but it's price....and I'd need two of those + at least 3 lenses (short telephoto, medium telephoto and long telephoto lens and two flashes + those memory cards ultra quick the D500 use) which would mean maybe 6 to 8K € second hand. Money that is 3 or 4 times the cost of my car 10 years ago. So... not really an option, i am not rich.

Then what to do? What to do? What should I do? Maybe a Pentax DA* 300mm f4? But that's not flexible. And I need a flexible range.

So that Sigma 100-300mm f4 came out on ebay, and I went for it and bought it.

BUT idiotic me, as happy I was seing one for sale in Pentax mount, I did not realised it was not the APO version. Not the one I have and wanted. It's a great lens, no doubt, but it wasn't THE one I was looking after.

Then with this lens I had it kinda solved.

And many months later I decided to buy the AW Pentax 1.4x TC as I had been thinking about it for 2 or 3 years.

* Of course in this period I was able to Test the K3-III exactly three times and I thought "this is what I need no matter the lens", but at 2.000€ it was still not an option for me to buy it in this period of time.

So what happened at the end?

This last month I have re-tested the Pentax 150-450mm and THIS is the lens I needed since the begining. Yes it's very expensive and heavy, but no matter if PLM or not, I have had a 55-300mm in the past and even if it's a nice lens, that time was long gone for me.

So I was saving and starting to put on sale my Sigma 100-300mm f4, the Sigma 1.4x TC that come with it, a SMC Pentax F 50mm f1.7 I had here, and I bought a Sigma 120-400mm lately but just to find out it doesn't pair that well with the Pentax 1.4x TC and that it's AF is not that fast. So I have also put that one for sale. Oh, and the spare parts Sigma 100-300mm f4 Canon mount also.

Now, I need all of those to sell someday maybe.

Also lately I was considering the K3-III due to two reasons:

1. Both my K3 and K3-II have a tone of photos done on each one (190K photos on one and 192K photos on the other one),
  2. As for Christmas my company gives us a voucher for Amazon so I thought I might use those 150€ in a K3-III IF there'd be any at a reasonable price. And then one came out at 1180 euros or so, so it was my moment. That got cancelled. But my mind was already set up to go for it.
  3. Well wait, there's a 3rd one I just remembered. I just saw a K3-III Jet-Black on Ebay at around 1500-1600€ and I was madly tempted to buy it. Luckily someone else did that before I did.
  4. Okay sorry there are 4 points. And also a big one, actually. The Pentax K3-III i was able to test 3 times in 2021 is from Pentax Spain and I have been asking them now and then when would they sell it and to sell it to me, but it seems that it is the only copy they have and it's always the same reply "We can not do it now, but whenever we sell it, we'll let you know", and it's been more than a year like this. So I did not wanted to wait more for them either.

And then you mix all this and one copy went for sale at a correct price, the seller seems to have the correct stadistics (votes, % of good evaluations and so on.....) and here we are waiting for a K3-III.

So, I can feel you. I know what do you mean. Same here. It's been a long period of awaiting.But I think this will make us appreciate more every single moment with the K3-III.

Now it's time to wait, let us know when you get yours and what your thoughts are πŸ™‚

Wow what a journey! In the end you made your way to the most fulfilling outcome, I think. The K-3iii just seems so perfect for your auto photos and it must feel great waiting for a camera that a) you've wanted for a long time and, b) you've used before and know without a doubt you'll love it, and c) got for a great price. In my case I haven't used one so I don't know that I will love it but... c'mon. I sure think I'm going to. 😁

You do the same! Mine is due to arrive tomorrow believe it or not. They mailed it next day air for some reason, even though it was free shipping. No complaints from me on that! My ultimate test will be a dog running straight at me. This is something I used to try to capture a lot back when I got my first DSLR, my K10D, and we had 3 dogs. It was tough to get those photos, typically I'd get zero in focus when the dog was running right at me. A tough task for the K10D, or just me.

Then with the K-3 I could get sharp shots each time but would have a poor hit rate, maybe 50% average. Funny enough I found my DA 50mm to be the best for this. So often the best moments were those half that were missed. This isn't the most common type of photo I take by any means, but it's just my benchmark now since it seems to be the hardest for the camera (or me) to accomplish.

Daniel Gonzalez

Mine arrived today!

It's beautiful!

JBP and EckyH have reacted to this post.
JBPEckyH
Quote from red5isalive on January 4, 2023, 6:56 pm

Mine arrived today!

It's beautiful!

Mine too!! Haha, That is awesome! It sure is a beauty, isn't it? And feels so good in the hand! I can't get over how responsive it is. It's just so fast to do everything, and all the buttons and controls feel so great. Love it. πŸ™‚ I gave it a good first test in the rain - but no action shots yet unfortunately. I had a blast. πŸ™‚

Uploaded files:
  • 20230104_154019.jpg
Daniel Gonzalez
PreviousPage 2 of 8Next