Please or Register to create posts and topics.

So I bought a Pentax KP

At the start of the year I had decided, Lumix and Sony would be my "workhorse" cameras. Other system like Pentax would be for fun, but if I wanted the best photos/videos Sony and Lumix were my go to. So a couple of weeks ago I see a silver Pentax KP at a low price and pounced (bye bye purchase strategy). But there was logic to this mad decision, the lenses I wanted for street and urban were all cheaper in K mount, particularly the zooms.

Since buying the KP I've enjoyed using an OVF again and I think my compositions have improved for it as well. But there is also a joy in using a camera that is designed with just photography in mind. As much as I love the hybrid capability of my G9 and other Lumix cameras, Pentax's unapologetic focus on photography is something to be valued 

All the below are taken with the KP first 2 with the Pentax DA 50mm F1.8, next 2 Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 and finally the Pentax-F 35-105mm F4-5.6

Uploaded files:
  • PtkKP020324-020.jpg
  • PtkKP020324-021.jpg
  • PtxKP021024-015.jpg
  • PtxKP021024-063.jpg
  • PtxKP021024-001.jpg
Tristan Carlos, Cory Maben and prisonwine have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosCory Mabenprisonwine
Kieran

Nice shots! I love it when you can recognize and have the funds to scoop up a deal. I think OVFs can definitely encourage a focus on composition. I also think manual focusing can have that same effect.

kcphotogeek and JBP have reacted to this post.
kcphotogeekJBP
Quote from kcphotogeek on February 13, 2024, 4:05 pm

At the start of the year I had decided, Lumix and Sony would be my "workhorse" cameras. Other system like Pentax would be for fun, but if I wanted the best photos/videos Sony and Lumix were my go to. So a couple of weeks ago I see a silver Pentax KP at a low price and pounced (bye bye purchase strategy). But there was logic to this mad decision, the lenses I wanted for street and urban were all cheaper in K mount, particularly the zooms.

Since buying the KP I've enjoyed using an OVF again and I think my compositions have improved for it as well. But there is also a joy in using a camera that is designed with just photography in mind. As much as I love the hybrid capability of my G9 and other Lumix cameras, Pentax's unapologetic focus on photography is something to be valued 

All the below are taken with the KP first 2 with the Pentax DA 50mm F1.8, next 2 Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 and finally the Pentax-F 35-105mm F4-5.6

Awesome photos! Cyclist between the tree trunks is my favorite. It's just perfect.

The KP seems like such a fun camera to use. I love the interchangeable grips and think it would be fun to try to make a custom one. Someday I'll pick up a KP also. I think it would be great for me for macros, since I don't have a Pentax with a tilt screen. Plus I think it would be a blast to use with the DA Limited pancake lenses!

kcphotogeek has reacted to this post.
kcphotogeek

Nice photos!  Pretty cool exposure on just the highlights. The KP is a unicorn of a camera and it really won't be repeated again. I sold mine for a profit but given that I see a bargain, I would not hesitate to buy one again. I love how it is so tiny. With the electronic shutter and live view on, it becomes virtually silent! 

kcphotogeek and JBP have reacted to this post.
kcphotogeekJBP