Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Snagged a Pentax K-1 ii. My "mark ii" collection is now complete 😉

I've had Pentax fever since the K-7 came out. Always wanted one. Something about the build and ergonomics.

I didn't pull the trigger on Pentax until I bought a used K-3 ii only a couple years ago.

I love my K-3 ii so I traded my Sony a6000 for a K-5 ii (some would call that a dumb trade). I did this so my daughter could shoot with the K-5 ii and use my lenses.

But ... ever since the K-1 came out ... I just knew.

I try to keep my camera gear obsession in check, so I always wait for a "deal I can't refuse" situation. Patience is key.

Well, I just bought a K-1 ii last week. It has 52 clicks on the shutter. This was a display unit for a store that went out of business (that's sad). The camera came packed in the box without a hint of use and came at a heavy discount. That was my "can't refuse" moment 😉

I'm so pumped to take this thing for a good rip. My full frame lens selection isn't deep but I should be covered:

• Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro
  • Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX Macro
  • Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX Macro
  • Tamron 70-200mm f2.8

So far I've taken 20 shots on this thing, 7 of which were taken to calibrate my Sigma 28mm lens which seemed waaay soft. Sure enough I had to calibrate the lens to -9 in the "AF Fine Adjustment" settings.

First digital full frame I've owed!

Any K-1 tips welcome!

Uploaded files:
  • PXL_20220711_224002760.MP_.jpg
  • IMGP0550-3.JPG
SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from grover on July 11, 2022, 11:14 pm

I've had Pentax fever since the K-7 came out. Always wanted one. Something about the build and ergonomics.

I didn't pull the trigger on Pentax until I bought a used K-3 ii only a couple years ago.

I love my K-3 ii so I traded my Sony a6000 for a K-5 ii (some would call that a dumb trade). I did this so my daughter could shoot with the K-5 ii and use my lenses.

I try to keep my camera gear obsession in check, so I always wait for a "deal I can't refuse" situation. Patience is key.

Well, I just bought a K-1 ii last week. It has 52 clicks on the shutter. This was a display unit for a store that went out of business. The camera came packed in the box without a hint of use. I paid $1152 USD all in. That was my "can't refuse" moment 😉

I'm so pumped to take this thing for a good rip. My full frame lens selection isn't deep but I should be covered:

• Tamron 70-200mm f2.8

So far I've taken 20 shots on this thing, 7 of which were taken to calibrate my Sigma 28mm lens which seemed waaay soft. Sure enough I had to calibrate the lens to -9 in the "AF Fine Adjustment" settings.

Any K-1 tips welcome!

If you ever allow room in the budget, I'd pick up at least one limited Prime, I just got the FA 31mm F1.8, the build quality is impeccable. Just to experience the beauty of Pentax quality at its finest. I even use my DA Limited 40mm F2.8 on it, it has Full Frame coverage with some minor vignetting.  Also adapting M42 Takumar glass is addicting.

grover has reacted to this post.
grover
Quote from SpruceBruce on July 11, 2022, 11:48 pm

Well, I just bought a K-1 ii last week. It has 52 clicks on the shutter. This was a display unit for a store that went out of business. The camera came packed in the box without a hint of use. I paid $1152 USD all in. That was my "can't refuse" moment 😉

• Tamron 70-200mm f2.8

Any K-1 tips welcome!

If you ever allow room in the budget, I'd pick up at least one limited Prime, I just got the FA 31mm F1.8, the build quality is impeccable. Just to experience the beauty of Pentax quality at its finest. I even use my DA Limited 40mm F2.8 on it, it has Full Frame coverage with some minor vignetting.  Also adapting M42 Takumar glass is addicting.

One day, one day. That 31mm fa lens looks beautiful.

Only Takumar lens I have is the 55mm f1.8. Looking to trying that out. What adapter do you use? I have read of people getting the adapter stuck on the lens or body.

Quote from grover on July 12, 2022, 12:35 am
Quote from SpruceBruce on July 11, 2022, 11:48 pm

• Tamron 70-200mm f2.8

Any K-1 tips welcome!

One day, one day. That 31mm fa lens looks beautiful.

Only Takumar lens I have is the 55mm f1.8. Looking to trying that out. What adapter do you use? I have read of people getting the adapter stuck on the lens or body.

Congrats on the new camera! The K-1 is my second favorite camera of all-time. Behind the original K-3 just because of the emotional attachment of growing in photography so much with that camera. Otherwise the K-1 is just incredible in all ways and such a photographers camera. So many neat features to play with but doesn't feel overly techy, if that makes sense.

I use a generic M42 adapter and haven't had any problems getting stuck. I have heard that concern before though. The one I bought is like this one and came with a little tool. I think I used it once or twice to get it off, but things must have loosened up because now I can take it off by just applying force with a lens still attached, and then remove it from the back of the lens afterwards. Definitely worth trying so you can use those m42 lenses with the full size frame they were designed for.

You should be set with those Sigma / Tamron lenses for as long as you want. I've owned some of those and they are quite nice optically. I've also enjoyed M42 lenses, old K mount M series lenses, F series lenses, FA series lenses, and my 43mm FA limited. One day I'll try the other two (and I guess now there's a third) FF limiteds. I've never used any of the new DFA lenses that are supposed to be optically fantastic.

I'm actually planning a video (that won't be released for months, I'm sure haha) that goes over the best affordable lenses for the K-1. One I've been playing with is the DA 35mm f2.4 which is a little plastic lens you can buy new for $115. It's designed for APSC but covers the full sensor and it surprisingly sharp with nice bokeh.

Plenty of cheap lenses too. Like @sprucebruce's A 35-105mm is on my list to try on it. The F 70-210 4-5.6 is supposed to be quite good for the price. I guess you're covered in that range anyway.

Happy snappin' 🙂

congrats and welcome to the K-1 club! It's a fantastic camera, it may be my favorite digital (or tied for first with the K-3 II) Prepare yourself for some wildly detailed images and best of all you've got nearly 50 years of K-mount heritage to expand your FF lens selection on the cheap!

Congrats! What an awesome collection. 🙂

Thanks @jbp, @heggendazs, @sprucebruce, and @james-warner-b

This thread motivated me to order an m42 adapter. It showed up today and I was able to quickly test my Takumar 55mm f1.8 (sixth version). This was my grand-father in-laws lens. I've had it sitting on a shelf for nearly a decade. He shot photos of my wife as a kid with this lens! I'm going take it to a family re-union next week and I think people will get a kick out of me using great-grandpa's lens on my modern Pentax!

I think I'm going to really enjoy using the K-1 with a wide variety of lenses. Additionally I think the K-1 is a nice compliment to my K-3. I can see myself using both.

Looking forward to your K-1 lens video James.

Couple quick shots in the backyard garden using the Takumar 55mm f1.8 with the SATOBI color profile. The first photos taken with this lens in probably 30 years!

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP0781-2.JPG
  • IMGP0771-2.JPG
SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Quote from grover on July 12, 2022, 8:08 pm

Thanks @jbp, @heggendazs, @sprucebruce, and @james-warner-b

This thread motivated me to order an m42 adapter. It showed up today and I was able to quickly test my Takumar 55mm f1.8 (sixth version). This was my grand-father in-laws lens. I've had it sitting on a shelf for nearly a decade. He shot photos of my wife as a kid with this lens! I'm going take it to a family re-union next week and I think people will get a kick out of me using great-grandpa's lens on my modern Pentax!

I think I'm going to really enjoy using the K-1 with a wide variety of lenses. Additionally I think the K-1 is a nice compliment to my K-3. I can see myself using both.

Looking forward to your K-1 lens video James.

Couple quick shots in the backyard garden using the Takumar 55mm f1.8 with the SATOBI color profile. The first photos taken with this lens in probably 30 years!

That is so cool that a lens with family history is getting a new lease on life. 🙂 Those photos are great - the detail, colors, and wow, that bokeh is nice. Amazing what those old lenses can do!