Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Sigma U-AF (universal AF) turns your manual film camera to AF

https://www.sigma-sein.com/en/ohsone/u-af-55-200-45/

The Sigma 55-200mm f4.5 U-AF basically has a whole AF mechanism built inside the lens. It is powered by 3x AAA batteries. It has an AF button. Of course, it has a focus confirmation mechanism too. This is an interesting piece of technology that never really flew as by the time Sigma released it, it's already too late.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share this article so in case you're interested, there might be one in the market for dirt cheap as not many people knows about this tech when all the fad is about manual vintage glasses. Perhaps the 80s or 90s glass will be the new vintage so its a good time to get them cheap!

I managed to snap one with a Pentax mount for 10 EUR. I cannot wait to test it out!

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos

Oh, that's me by the way ^^^ 😀

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner

That's so cool. I had never heard of that before. I had seen the little mechnism AF assist things you could add to the body and it went under the lens I think, but never seen something built into the lens body before. For 10 EUR that should  be super interesting to try out. Let me know how it goes 😉

Happy snappin' 🙂

I haven't properly tested it yet. I really never had a chance due to the lockdown. Anyway, my initial observations are:

1. AF is really slow
2. It is very big and heavy for a 55-200mm 4.5.
3. forget about lowlight AF

I need to remind myself to test this out with my K-1. Hopefully soon!

Quote from Tristan C on April 15, 2021, 9:53 pm

I haven't properly tested it yet. I really never had a chance due to the lockdown. Anyway, my initial observations are:

1. AF is really slow
2. It is very big and heavy for a 55-200mm 4.5.
3. forget about lowlight AF

I need to remind myself to test this out with my K-1. Hopefully soon!

I mean, I guess I didn't expect anything else from that early tech. Still really cool though 😎

Happy snappin' 🙂