Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Show me what film cameras you're currently shooting on!

PreviousPage 4 of 4
Quote from Cory Maben on March 7, 2024, 6:08 am

@sprucebruce

@gideon-liddiard-photography

Thanks for your recommendations guys. I looked around around and took some other recommendations and I ended up falling in love with the Pentax LX, an expensive camera but it's exactly what I was looking for and K-Mount lenses don't seem to be outrageously priced. Meaning I will finally be a Pentaxian. Does anyone have strong opinions on the 50mm f/1.7 vs the 50mm f/1.4?

Nice! The LX looks really sweet. I have it's lesser sibling, the MX, and the viewfinder and the compact form factor is amazing.

I've owned several versions of the 50mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.7. I personally don't need auto aperture, so the M version is usually the cheapest. The 50mm f1.4 design of the M, A, F and FA I am not a huge fan of. It's soft enough wide open that unless you want the dreamy look, I always stop down anyway. The f1.7 version is nice already wide open. I never compared directly, but my thought after using several versions of each was the 50mm f1.7 was the better buy.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on March 7, 2024, 6:47 pm
Quote from Cory Maben on March 7, 2024, 6:08 am

@sprucebruce

@gideon-liddiard-photography

Thanks for your recommendations guys. I looked around around and took some other recommendations and I ended up falling in love with the Pentax LX, an expensive camera but it's exactly what I was looking for and K-Mount lenses don't seem to be outrageously priced. Meaning I will finally be a Pentaxian. Does anyone have strong opinions on the 50mm f/1.7 vs the 50mm f/1.4?

Nice! The LX looks really sweet. I have it's lesser sibling, the MX, and the viewfinder and the compact form factor is amazing.

I've owned several versions of the 50mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.7. I personally don't need auto aperture, so the M version is usually the cheapest. The 50mm f1.4 design of the M, A, F and FA I am not a huge fan of. It's soft enough wide open that unless you want the dreamy look, I always stop down anyway. The f1.7 version is nice already wide open. I never compared directly, but my thought after using several versions of each was the 50mm f1.7 was the better buy.

Okay good to know, thanks for the input! I also like how compact they are, that combined with a good number of compact primes I hope I can make it a 'more often carry'. One of the things I really want to focus on with this camera is getting more 'manual' with it and focus on thinking about adjusting metering in terms of stops rather than just zeroing the meter. I also want to apply zone focusing and things like that. Since starting shooting film, I've been having the urge to be more involved in the process

My LX arrived. I'm about halfway through a roll, but it's color so I need to send it off to get developed so it may be a bit before you guys can see the output. But here is a shot of it anyway. I'm really enjoying shooting it. It's very compact which is very refreshing and I love how much of a 'direct' photographic experience it is. Very tactile.

Uploaded files:
  • SDIM1496.jpg
SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
PreviousPage 4 of 4