Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Show me what film cameras you're currently shooting on!

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next

I've been shooting a lot with a Minolta X700 I repaired from a coworker.  It's such a fun body, and the glass is so sharp.

Here's some Kentmere Pan 400 shots from it, also fun fact it's my first roll I ever developed!

Abandoned Chevy by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

2023-11-26_10-11-16 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

2023-11-26_10-11-31 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Conservatory by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Palm Tree Oasis by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Bonsai 3 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Como Conservatory by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20231109_130305270.jpg
James Warner, KankRat and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerKankRatHeggenDazsgrover

Thanks for sharing, Bruce! These shots came out so nicely, I had seen a few already but the truck interior shot was new.

Quote from SpruceBruce on January 27, 2024, 2:44 am

I've been shooting a lot with a Minolta X700 I repaired from a coworker.  It's such a fun body, and the glass is so sharp.

Here's some Kentmere Pan 400 shots from it, also fun fact it's my first roll I ever developed!

These turned out so nice. You're right, nice and sharp lens and looks like your developing worked out nicely too!

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from SpruceBruce on January 27, 2024, 2:44 am

Great shots, Kentmere is a solid film stock. 

Yashica LM TLR I fixed up for dirt cheap!  Pushed Ilford HP5 Plus in Downtown Minneapolis to 800 ISO.  I need to mock up a shutter release cable design, I've found quite of DIY options to make your own adapter.  I find even if I gently push the shutter on a tripod, it shakes the camera still.

Mill Ruins! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Mill Ruins 2 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Mill Stone by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Grain Belt Double Exposure by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner

I've been really enjoying shooting film, but I think I want a different body. My viewfinder is broken, it's very magenta and can be hard to see through especially in low light. I want something with a built in light-meter preferably. I would like to avoid nikon f bodies if I could. Something older would be cool, something with cheap lenses would be cool. But definitely something beginner friendly. I'm open to any suggestions people might have.

Quote from Cory Maben on March 4, 2024, 10:37 am

I've been really enjoying shooting film, but I think I want a different body. My viewfinder is broken, it's very magenta and can be hard to see through especially in low light. I want something with a built in light-meter preferably. I would like to avoid nikon f bodies if I could. Something older would be cool, something with cheap lenses would be cool. But definitely something beginner friendly. I'm open to any suggestions people might have.

Any specific mount you prefer?  Do you need AF? Or does manual work?  Depends on how much features you want too.

I'd recommend the Minolta AF lineup of cameras.  A mount glass is dirt cheap and sharp.  You can get a Minolta Maxxum 7000 AF with a kit 50mm F1.7 for $40-50 easily.  At least here in the Midwest.  

Cory Maben has reacted to this post.
Cory Maben

@sprucebruce

Nope, no specific mounts. I was looking at Canon FD, but it's glass seems generally very expensive, so I'd like to rule that out.  I plan to be mostly manual focusing, but I wouldn't be opposed to an autofocus system if it's a great deal or something, it does seem like the newer the film camera the cheaper they are to buy. My only hard requirement is that it have a built in light meter. I would like it to also be something that I manually progress the film. But I'm more willing to compromise on that if I need to.

Quote from Cory Maben on March 4, 2024, 10:37 am

Canon FTb's, are cheap(ish), FD and older mount lenses, built like tanks, have excellent metering, and look great (OK last bit is subjective).

Unfortunately since mirrorless has allowed almost all older glass to be mounted easily, just about any mount has gotten expensive. If you were in Europe I would have suggested the Praktica BX-20 and PB mount, as that doesn't get much love. That aside I would personally go for FD mount, as even the 'budget' and 'kit' lenses are pretty good.

Cory Maben has reacted to this post.
Cory Maben

@sprucebruce

@gideon-liddiard-photography

Thanks for your recommendations guys. I looked around around and took some other recommendations and I ended up falling in love with the Pentax LX, an expensive camera but it's exactly what I was looking for and K-Mount lenses don't seem to be outrageously priced. Meaning I will finally be a Pentaxian. Does anyone have strong opinions on the 50mm f/1.7 vs the 50mm f/1.4?

James Warner and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
James WarnerGideon Liddiard Photography
PreviousPage 3 of 5Next