Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share Your Photos October 2021!

PreviousPage 2 of 5Next

@justintung that's the worst feeling in the world.  Was it your old Mercury half frame?

Some bumblebee action, KP and DA 35mm Macro at the community garden around the corner from my house.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP0007.jpg
  • IMGP0036.jpg
  • IMGP0027-1.jpg
  • IMGP0056.jpg
  • IMGP0047-1.jpg
Beau Carpenter and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterGawad

No, not even! I was testing out a new Canon Demi!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on October 10, 2021, 2:23 pm

No, not even! I was testing out a new Canon Demi!

That is a really cute looking camera I've never heard about until now. Excited to see results (maybe).

Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Okay, I don't know what happened but a busy month turned crazier after getting sick. Most be the time of year if we're all dropping like flies. I'm fine, just some bug, but annoying enough to start stacking up assignments at work.

Anyway, here's some shots from the Sony A100's I have right now. I love the cameras and in the right setting they do great, but the old Minolta lenses are really showing their age. The two zooms I have are quite soft even stopped down, and the 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.7 need to be stopped down a bit. But it's all fun, and they were $10-$20 so... In that respect they are doing great 🙂

All unedited because I don't normally edit daily snapshot kind of stuff.

Sony A100 by Snappiness, on Flickr

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂

Half-frame roll finally came though, and I have mixed feelings.

After getting a taste of the half-frame promised land with my Mercury II, I was interested in seeing what a more fully-featured camera could deliver. Enter the Canon Demi EE17. It's a tiny, sleek modern looking viewfinder camera with, amazingly, a f/1.7 30mm lens, and the luxury of luxuries, the ability to shoot in shutter priority. Small, pocketable, has an auto mode, niece fast canon lens, what's there not to like?

Getting to that point, however, was... challenging. Firstly, 72 frames are an absolute slough to get through. As a grad student, film economy is something I'm very conscious of, but 72 shots? And I actually ended up getting 78?? My goodness. It was like switching from topo chico to a sodastream, but where you can only drink the water once you finish carbonating the (advertised) 60 bottles of water. The other issue is that the back opened accidentally, around 50 frames in. the back opened, and Perhaps 7 frames got mutilated, and 4 were entirely obliterated. That's film life though. It made me sad and reluctant to even finish the roll. F. Some of them turned out looking... artistic? Not the biggest fan, but how else are you going to let people know that you shoot film??

A note on resolution. The EE17 arguably had as good a lens as any half frame camera ever, easily on par with Pen-F lenses. Portra, is also a professional film stock, with the sharpness of a professional film stock. The results though are still pretty low resolution. For web sharing though, it should be enough. Furthermore, I get the way the film handles light, those sweet sweet "Film Toanz". Is it sufficiently different from digital?

I'm not sure. I think I'm going to wander back into digital land for a while, and see what results. I like film because of the process, not just the result, and that's going to be a determining factor in whether or not I keep this camera, and how much film I shoot going forward.

James Warner, SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceGawad
Quote from Snappy on October 13, 2021, 1:03 am

Okay, I don't know what happened but a busy month turned crazier after getting sick. Most be the time of year if we're all dropping like flies. I'm fine, just some bug, but annoying enough to start stacking up assignments at work.

Anyway, here's some shots from the Sony A100's I have right now. I love the cameras and in the right setting they do great, but the old Minolta lenses are really showing their age. The two zooms I have are quite soft even stopped down, and the 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.7 need to be stopped down a bit. But it's all fun, and they were $10-$20 so... In that respect they are doing great 🙂

Oh man, that sucks. Hope you feel better!

SpruceBruce

I love the look of the Minolta glass, it has a nostalgia feeling to it I really dig. The bokeh really pops in the flower shot Glad you're feeling better, I hate being sick.  I think it's the start of school, kids spread bacteria like wildfire, and then take it home with them to their family creating a big snowball effect.  I always remember getting sick during the school year long before all this Covid nonsense when I was a kid.

@justintung My little Pen D2 can get 78 frames too lol.  I found the results usable for social media on half frame for 100/200 ISO film so far.  So far, I've really enjoyed it the most only shooting Delta 100.  I treat my own half frame as a Sunny 16 point and shoot at this point for some mindless fun not expecting super sharp results.

Just a quick Autumn drone shot for me today

Uploaded files:
  • Photo_7143871_DJI_447_jpg_4128268_0_20211012172248_photo_original.jpg
Gawad has reacted to this post.
Gawad

A hidden Gem of the Minolta lineup is the 45mm f/2 Pancake. I daresay it's just as sharp, or even sharper than the 50mm!

SpruceBruce
Quote from Justin Tung on October 14, 2021, 7:48 pm

A hidden Gem of the Minolta lineup is the 45mm f/2 Pancake. I daresay it's just as sharp, or even sharper than the 50mm!

Thanks for the tip! That's exactly the kind of thing I look for. Fun inexpensive lenses people don't know about or overlook. I'll check it out!

Making a new thread for my recent old digi cam pickup just because I have some specifics to share about it that I think are cool.

Justin Tung and Beau Carpenter have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau Carpenter
Happy snappin' 🙂

I took my Yashica Fx-D with a 28mm F2.8 and 80-200mm F4 with me, when I was working in California last month.  I just got done scanning my negs, Ilford HP5 and Kodak Colorplus 200.

Uploaded files:
  • 01-8.jpg
  • 01-9.jpg
  • 01-20-1.jpg
  • 01-32.jpg
  • 01-24.jpg
James Warner, Justin Tung and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungBeau CarpenterGawad
PreviousPage 2 of 5Next