Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share Your Photos October 2021!

Page 1 of 5Next

I’d figured I’d kick off the October thread with some landscape photography.  It’s my first time out since battling Covid-19.  I tested positive two weeks ago, and developed pneumonia that’s thankfully healed.  I’ve never been so happy just to take some mediocre photos and to get outside again.

Sunrise hike with my Pentax KP and a DA 18-135mm lens on the Minneosta River, using pixel shift mode due to  forgetting my tripod.  4.5 miles hiked, and my 02 Sat. levels remained at 100.  What a great feeling, after every breath was painful and labor intensive the last 10 days.

Uploaded files:
  • BA0A0C00-4B63-4EDA-A3AE-D7DC7864E4EA.jpeg
  • AB22F1D3-A9D6-40DB-BCD2-DF4F028177F1.jpeg
  • B8B7B28A-DA06-43B0-926C-8FB722478887.jpeg
  • 760B88D1-3577-4EE7-A6CC-EA3779EF6F8F.jpeg
  • C539E426-189B-48FC-9B09-3FDB4A5AFB21.jpeg
James Warner, Justin Tung and Beau Carpenter have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungBeau Carpenter
Quote from SpruceBruce on October 1, 2021, 6:25 pm

I’d figured I’d kick off the October thread with some landscape photography.  It’s my first time out since battling Covid-19.  I tested positive two weeks ago, and developed pneumonia that’s thankfully healed.  I’ve never been so happy just to take some mediocre photos and to get outside again.

Sunrise hike with my Pentax KP and a DA 18-135mm lens on the Minneosta River, using pixel shift mode due to  forgetting my tripod.  4.5 miles hiked, and my 02 Sat. levels remained at 100.  What a great feeling, after every breath was painful and labor intensive the last 10 days.

Grateful to hear the news of your recovery! Have known so many people who have went through the COVID + Pneumonia combo and how difficult that has been. Lovely shots, happy that you were able to make it out for them!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from SpruceBruce on October 1, 2021, 6:25 pm

Wow, I bet that really makes you grateful for life. Life being able to breathe. Glad you recovered but man that's rough.

Nice pictures. I don't understand the pixelshift comment. You DID use pixel shift after forgetting your tripod? Doesn't that require a tripod? In any case it looks like a beautiful area.

KankRat and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
KankRatSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! I wouldn't wish this on anybody.  Days 4-9 were the worst.

I guess maybe I don't truly understand pixelshift, I enabled it and I was able to shoot the daybreak sky at 1/8 of a sec, where as if I just used regular shake reduction it still wasn't sufficient enough.  From my understanding it's a composite of 4 images right?

Did something a little bit different this afternoon, took some photos around the back yard with the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k. It's a "cinema" camera that can also take stills. Although you really don't want to take stills with it, you can't even review the stills (as far as I know). Nonetheless, I have used this camera for a bit over a year and it really has a lovely image in my opinion.

Edited within Davinci Resolve | All shot on Panasonic 25mm f/1.7

V1-0016_Untitled00265715 by Beau Carpenter, on Flickr

V1-0015_Untitled00264858 by Beau Carpenter, on Flickr

V1-0030_Untitled00309526 by Beau Carpenter, on Flickr

V1-0018_Untitled00267888 by Beau Carpenter, on Flickr

Justin Tung, SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruceGawad
Quote from Beau Carpenter on October 5, 2021, 12:14 am

Did something a little bit different this afternoon, took some photos around the back yard with the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k. It's a "cinema" camera that can also take stills. Although you really don't want to take stills with it, you can't even review the stills (as far as I know). Nonetheless, I have used this camera for a bit over a year and it really has a lovely image in my opinion.

Love the depth of field, so it's basically an M43 sensor right, and does it shoot RAW or JPEG? I've never really delved into the BMPCC.

Okay first, that's really cool, and I agree the colors look very pleasing. But second, this is an odd coincidence because I am trying to dive into Davinci Resolve right now. And I did read something about "grading" still in there but I didn't totally understand - so you can export images from it? Pretty neat.

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from SpruceBruce on October 5, 2021, 8:59 pm

Love the depth of field, so it's basically an M43 sensor right, and does it shoot RAW or JPEG? I've never really delved into the BMPCC.

Yep! M4/3 sensor that captures DNG files. It really is not meant for stills at all. Great for video, but not much else 😅

Quote from Snappy on October 5, 2021, 9:42 pm

Okay first, that's really cool, and I agree the colors look very pleasing. But second, this is an odd coincidence because I am trying to dive into Davinci Resolve right now. And I did read something about "grading" still in there but I didn't totally understand - so you can export images from it? Pretty neat.

I've been using Davinci Resolve for about 3 years or so. It is amazing to me how much is available in one piece of software that, even with the free version!

Color grading is the image editing portion of the software. Has some of your usual controls and curves. Then quite a bit more! The most challenging part starting out was understanding the node tree, I found Casey Faris tutorials to be helpful in getting started: https://www.youtube.com/user/CaseyFaris777

For images, I dropped the stills onto the timeline and then edit them on the color page just like video clips. Then when exporting there are a few image options under custom and you have to switch to exporting individual clips and it will export your images into the specified folder.

Working with the BMPCC4k and learning Resolve were big factors in helping me become more consistent with my video workflow.

SpruceBruce

Hey yall, sorry I've been away for so long. School has really picked up, and I've started a new job. Not a ton of time to go out a take photos. I was actually working on a 36 roll in half frame, but realized the back opened in my bag by accident. Hope some of the frames survived. Feels bad man. still had like 20 more shots to go too. I'm gonna finish the roll, but I'm not holding my breath for anything extravagant.

Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on October 9, 2021, 12:03 am

Hey yall, sorry I've been away for so long. School has really picked up, and I've started a new job. Not a ton of time to go out a take photos. I was actually working on a 36 roll in half frame, but realized the back opened in my bag by accident. Hope some of the frames survived. Feels bad man. still had like 20 more shots to go too. I'm gonna finish the roll, but I'm not holding my breath for anything extravagant.

Man, that stinks. I'm shooting more film lately, so should have some film results back in a few weeks when I finally send them in/develop myself.  School and work is good. Life gets busy. Been a crazy for weeks for me too.

Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Page 1 of 5Next