Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your May Photos (2024)

PreviousPage 5 of 6Next

Built a new bike up for this year. Nothing better than riding around with a camera and no real intentions.

I've also been trying out a new hip pack made for cycling and camera gear ( EVOC Hip Pack 7 Capture Camera Bag ). So far it has proven to be a good way to carry a smaller camera with an extra lens or two. It also allows for quick access. Recommended.

P5241725 by Neil Grover, on Flickr

P5281733 by Neil Grover, on Flickr

P5281753 by Neil Grover, on Flickr

JBP and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
JBPCory Maben
Quote from grover on May 29, 2024, 5:35 am

Built a new bike up for this year. Nothing better than riding around with a camera and no real intentions.

I've also been trying out a new hip pack made for cycling and camera gear ( EVOC Hip Pack 7 Capture Camera Bag ). So far it has proven to be a good way to carry a smaller camera with an extra lens or two. It also allows for quick access. Recommended.

P5241725 by Neil Grover, on Flickr

P5281733 by Neil Grover, on Flickr

P5281753 by Neil Grover, on Flickr

I love that new bike! It looks so clean. I didn't recognize the frame - is it titanium? The camera bag recommendation also looks good. I went the opposite direction recently and got a huge hunkin' camera bag in the Atlas Athlete after I found someone selling theirs for $100 (normally almost $500, yikes!) I had been looking at it for the last few years now as a hiking/biking option to carry my longer telephotos along with other non-photography gear. So far I'm really impressed. But it is very big.

Black hills/Badlands of South Dakota caught on Sigma SD Quattro H

Sylvan Lake by Snappiness, on Flickr

Bison by Snappiness, on Flickr

Justin Tung, JBP and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungJBPgroverCory Maben
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on May 29, 2024, 11:25 am

I love that new bike! It looks so clean. I didn't recognize the frame - is it titanium? The camera bag recommendation also looks good. I went the opposite direction recently and got a huge hunkin' camera bag in the Atlas Athlete after I found someone selling theirs for $100 (normally almost $500, yikes!) I had been looking at it for the last few years now as a hiking/biking option to carry my longer telephotos along with other non-photography gear. So far I'm really impressed. But it is very big.

Yes the bike is Titanium. It's a custom build I had done by Waltly Titanium. My goal is to ride it solo/unsupported on a 1400 km trip this summer on gravel roads from Calgary to Dauphin. Hence I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to pack everything including my camera ( of course! ).

A good backpack is key. I also have a hunkin' bag ( Shimoda Explore 40 ) which is great. Having a comfortable bag makes all the difference and allows me to walk (and occasionally ride) long hours with my heavier gear! For my bike trip I want to avoid having anything on my back (hence the hip pack).

A goal I have for this year is to focus more on things that will get me "out" and less on cameras ( don't worry, it's a temporary predicament 😉 ). I sold about 15 lenses to KEH.com, built up the bike, bought some bags etc. The bike trip is as much a means to get out and take more photos as it is about riding 🙂 It's an ambitious plan for me and it could fail catastrophically but I'll never know unless I give it a try kinda thing. Wish me luck.

James Warner, JBP and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBPGideon Liddiard PhotographyCory Maben
Quote from grover on May 29, 2024, 4:40 pm

A goal I have for this year is to focus more on things that will get me "out" and less on cameras ( don't worry, it's a temporary predicament 😉 ). I sold about 15 lenses to KEH.com, built up the bike, bought some bags etc. The bike trip is as much a means to get out and take more photos as it is about riding 🙂 It's an ambitious plan for me and it could fail catastrophically but I'll never know unless I give it a try kinda thing. Wish me luck.

That's a great goal! It also sounds like a really fun and challenging experience. You should create a thread and keep it updated with your progress when you start. I think that would be inspirational. I think it's also a bonus that you had to sort though your camera gear and be thoughtful about what to keep and what you could afford to let go of. It makes me want to come up with some way to emphasize getting out and experiencing new things for myself. Good luck!

grover has reacted to this post.
grover

Some night photography with the K-1, all shot with the 43mm limited:

MFP_0214 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

MFP_0237 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

MFP_0246 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

MFP_0232 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

I am extremely happy with how the camera looks! It takes wonderful night shots. All of it was handheld and the noise at high ISOs is negligible as far as I'm concerned and it looks beautiful. The only downside is that the metering isn't great unless I use spot metering and manual mode to meter and recompose or I use liveview mode to dial it in. I turned off as much as I could from the liveview display, but it was still very cluttered so if I'm missing something please let me know.

Another problem I had was what appears to be a bunch of stuck pixels when looking at the files through Capture One. It doesn't appear this way on any other program, so I'm wondering if Capture One is just displaying the raw info, and the others are correcting it or if it's something weird with capture one? I'll add the file directly to the post.

In other Pentax news; I bought what I think is a NOS 645, it's absolutely beautiful, no scuffs or blemishes anywhere. I just ordered some film for it and I'm really looking forward to taking it out!

Uploaded files:
  • Capture.PNG
James Warner, JBP and grover have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBPgrover
Quote from Cory Maben on May 29, 2024, 11:50 pm

Another problem I had was what appears to be a bunch of stuck pixels when looking at the files through Capture One. It doesn't appear this way on any other program, so I'm wondering if Capture One is just displaying the raw info, and the others are correcting it or if it's something weird with capture one? I'll add the file directly to the post.

I have a blank LiveView. What is on your display?
When in LiveView, hit the "info" button TWICE. You should see options of what to have overlaid on your screen. Toggle over to "no information". This won't get rid of the digital-level or the histogram. For that you need to go into the "menu" and scootch over to tab #5 -> "Live View" and turn off the histogram and level.

I see red pixels on my K-1 ii while doing long exposures. The K-1's are prone to "hot pixels". They go away once the camera has been off for a while (unlike dead pixels). If the pixels are actually dead then you might want to run "Pixel Mapping". Go to menu -> wrench -> tab #4 -> Pixel Mapping. Run the pixel mapping and the camera will detect and "correct the defective pixels" .... which I think means to ignore them. I've never used Capture One but I do see coloured pixels in DarkTable (which I  don't use that often )

Lovely night shots!

JBP and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
JBPCory Maben
Quote from grover on May 30, 2024, 3:22 am
Quote from Cory Maben on May 29, 2024, 11:50 pm

I have a blank LiveView. What is on your display?
When in LiveView, hit the "info" button TWICE. You should see options of what to have overlaid on your screen. Toggle over to "no information". This won't get rid of the digital-level or the histogram. For that you need to go into the "menu" and scootch over to tab #5 -> "Live View" and turn off the histogram and level.

I see red pixels on my K-1 ii while doing long exposures. The K-1's are prone to "hot pixels". They go away once the camera has been off for a while (unlike dead pixels). If the pixels are actually dead then you might want to run "Pixel Mapping". Go to menu -> wrench -> tab #4 -> Pixel Mapping. Run the pixel mapping and the camera will detect and "correct the defective pixels" .... which I think means to ignore them.

Lovely night shots!

Perfect! That solved all my problems. I ran the pixel mapping, so we'll see if that fixes it next time I'm out.

I had disabled the histogram and levels, but I didn't know about the info button thing. That cleared up all that other stuff I didn't want, so now I feel like I can turn back on my levels at least.

JBP and grover have reacted to this post.
JBPgrover
Quote from grover on May 29, 2024, 4:40 pm
Quote from James Warner on May 29, 2024, 11:25 am

Yes the bike is Titanium. It's a custom build I had done by Waltly Titanium. My goal is to ride it solo/unsupported on a 1400 km trip this summer on gravel roads from Calgary to Dauphin. Hence I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to pack everything including my camera ( of course! ).

A good backpack is key. I also have a hunkin' bag ( Shimoda Explore 40 ) which is great. Having a comfortable bag makes all the difference and allows me to walk (and occasionally ride) long hours with my heavier gear! For my bike trip I want to avoid having anything on my back (hence the hip pack).

That sounds amazing. Anything to make more time to enjoy nature and take photos is worth it. And packing light on the camera gear to enjoy the actual trip will result in better photos and a better trip anyway. 

I'll be interested in hearing about your preparation for the trip, how much you'll ride everyday, how you're planning on food and overnight stops. When my kids are a bit older I really want to do something similar. 

And no pressure (especially if it goes counter to your goals of the trip) but that would be a cool opportunity to put together a little photo zine for friends and family of the trip. 

grover has reacted to this post.
grover
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on May 30, 2024, 2:04 pm

That sounds amazing. Anything to make more time to enjoy nature and take photos is worth it. And packing light on the camera gear to enjoy the actual trip will result in better photos and a better trip anyway. 

I'll be interested in hearing about your preparation for the trip, how much you'll ride everyday, how you're planning on food and overnight stops. When my kids are a bit older I really want to do something similar. 

And no pressure (especially if it goes counter to your goals of the trip) but that would be a cool opportunity to put together a little photo zine for friends and family of the trip. 

Quote from Cory Maben on May 29, 2024, 9:20 pm

That's a great goal! It also sounds like a really fun and challenging experience. You should create a thread and keep it updated with your progress when you start. I think that would be inspirational. I think it's also a bonus that you had to sort though your camera gear and be thoughtful about what to keep and what you could afford to let go of. It makes me want to come up with some way to emphasize getting out and experiencing new things for myself. Good luck!

Thanks fellas. I will make some kind of attempt to document my trip and preparations. It's been fun just thinking through it all and putting a plan in motion. That said there will be a certain amount of just "wing it" involved which, for better or worse, is kinda how I roll 😉 That's part of the adventure I suppose!

Yesterday I tried bringing my K-1 II and Tamron 28-75mm. It did fit in my hip bag but practically it's too heavy to be hanging off my hips. So unless I figure some other way to ride my bike with the K-1, I'll be using my OM5-ii on my rides.

I only snagged one shot. I have no idea what "Eamon's Bungalow Camp" is but I'm going to have to do some research and find out. I always thought it was a cool sign. The sign was recently restored:
 IMGP7512 by Neil Grover, on Flickr

Update: it's a sign from an old roadside diner built in 1949.

James Warner, kcphotogeek and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerkcphotogeekJBPGideon Liddiard PhotographyCory Maben
Quote from grover on May 30, 2024, 8:27 pm
Quote from James Warner on May 30, 2024, 2:04 pm

Quote from Cory Maben on May 29, 2024, 9:20 pm

Thanks fellas. I will make some kind of attempt to document my trip and preparations. It's been fun just thinking through it all and putting a plan in motion. That said there will be a certain amount of just "wing it" involved which, for better or worse, is kinda how I roll 😉 That's part of the adventure I suppose!

Yesterday I tried bringing my K-1 II and Tamron 28-75mm. It did fit in my hip bag but practically it's too heavy to be hanging off my hips. So unless I figure some other way to ride my bike with the K-1, I'll be using my OM5-ii on my rides.

I only snagged one shot. I have no idea what "Eamon's Bungalow Camp" is but I'm going to have to do some research and find out. I always thought it was a cool sign. The sign was recently restored:
 IMGP7512 by Neil Grover, on Flickr

Update: it's a sign from an old roadside diner built in 1949.

Love the colors here!!

Awesome photos from everyone. Once again I'm really enjoying the K-1 and Olympus action. 🙂

PreviousPage 5 of 6Next