Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your May photos (2022)

Page 1 of 5Next

Hi everyone didn't see any May photos topic so thought I'd kick things off hope that is okay.

This coming Monday is Election Day in the Philippines, with today being the last day of canvassing. There was a huge event in Makati, Metro Manila, where I live for one of the Presidential candidates today. Below are a series of photos I took with the Ricoh GR III. Like before trying to add story to these photos this time by also using tone and colour

Uploaded files:
  • R004319.jpg
  • R004377.jpg
  • R004351.jpg
  • R004352.jpg
James Warner, Justin Tung and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungHeggenDazsdenniscrommettJBPSokol
Kieran

Beautiful photos, full of character. I first thought they were shot on film until I read the text.

SpruceBruce and kcphotogeek have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeek
The camera teaches how to see

I did a wedding shoot for the first time yesterday. I didn't really mean to, I had a friend who was doing a quickie wedding and wanted to see if I'd be willing to help out. I told them that I'd never shot wedding before, and if they were okay with that, I was too.

I packed along my Sony a7ii but on a whim decided to bring the Mamiya 645 80mm lens, mostly because I had ND's I could throw on there and open up my aperture.

I took a good number of standard wedding-type stuff

But I personally found that a wedding ceremony is.... a lot of standing around and talking haha. The shots I really enjoyed were the quiter moments around the wedding.

In my naiveté, I imagine that when the couple look back on the day it'll be these small things that really bring them back rather than all the pictures of people talking to each other.

These pictures came pretty easily to me, but I can definitely see how wedding photography takes a really challenging skill set, especially shooting all day in different scenarios and having to wrangle natural and artificial light.

Tristan Carlos, Beau Carpenter and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceHeggenDazsdenniscrommettkcphotogeekJBPSokol
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from kcphotogeek on May 7, 2022, 5:17 pm

Hi everyone didn't see any May photos topic so thought I'd kick things off hope that is okay.

This coming Monday is Election Day in the Philippines, with today being the last day of canvassing. There was a huge event in Makati, Metro Manila, where I live for one of the Presidential candidates today. Below are a series of photos I took with the Ricoh GR III. Like before trying to add story to these photos this time by also using tone and colour

I can see the color toning with the green shadows complementing the pink shirts. It looks very nice. Great shots. Interesting world event I would not have paid attention to otherwise 🙂

Quote from Justin Tung on May 7, 2022, 9:18 pm

I did a wedding shoot for the first time yesterday. I didn't really mean to, I had a friend who was doing a quickie wedding and wanted to see if I'd be willing to help out. I told them that I'd never shot wedding before, and if they were okay with that, I was too.

I packed along my Sony a7ii but on a whim decided to bring the Mamiya 645 80mm lens, mostly because I had ND's I could throw on there and open up my aperture.

But I personally found that a wedding ceremony is.... a lot of standing around and talking haha. The shots I really enjoyed were the quiter moments around the wedding.

In my naiveté, I imagine that when the couple look back on the day it'll be these small things that really bring them back rather than all the pictures of people talking to each other.

These pictures came pretty easily to me, but I can definitely see how wedding photography takes a really challenging skill set, especially shooting all day in different scenarios and having to wrangle natural and artificial light.

I agree, I like the candid shots of the whole day in wedding photography. I have only shot one wedding, and it was for my sister. They had another friend come to shoot photos, but I guess the day of decided they weren't getting the coverage they wanted, so I was pulled aside and asked. I wish I had planned ahead of time because all I brought with my at the time was a Sony A6000 I was playing with and a vintage nifty 50. Shots turned out nice though. It was fun getting some creative shots rather than just the event. I don't think I could do it professionally, but knowing my sister well helped me feel confident I was getting shots she would appreciate.

I did blunder though and shoot the whole thing on JPEG. I still ended up editing the JPEGs, but it was a lot harder. Learned a good lesson there 😁

I'm still traveling but here's some shots of the travels as we go. All with Panasonic GX1 + Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for this leg of the journey.

Mustang Island by Snappiness, on Flickr

Spring by Snappiness, on Flickr

Sunset through gate by Snappiness, on Flickr

Dandelion seeds at sunset by Snappiness, on Flickr

Tristan Carlos, Justin Tung and 6 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosJustin TungSpruceBruceHeggenDazsdenniscrommettkcphotogeekTSTSJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂

Looks like you did a great job, bravo! I agree it's often the small things that bring us back to a moment in time more than anything. I'm surprised it was your first time, you seem to have a real talent for it!

Quote from James Warner on May 9, 2022, 3:28 pm

I can see the color toning with the green shadows complementing the pink shirts. It looks very nice. Great shots. Interesting world event I would not have paid attention to otherwise 🙂

I agree, I like the candid shots of the whole day in wedding photography. I have only shot one wedding, and it was for my sister. They had another friend come to shoot photos, but I guess the day of decided they weren't getting the coverage they wanted, so I was pulled aside and asked. I wish I had planned ahead of time because all I brought with my at the time was a Sony A6000 I was playing with and a vintage nifty 50. Shots turned out nice though. It was fun getting some creative shots rather than just the event. I don't think I could do it professionally, but knowing my sister well helped me feel confident I was getting shots she would appreciate.

I did blunder though and shoot the whole thing on JPEG. I still ended up editing the JPEGs, but it was a lot harder. Learned a good lesson there 😁

I'm still traveling but here's some shots of the travels as we go. All with Panasonic GX1 + Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for this leg of the journey.

That dandelion photo is super!

It's been hectic for me lately, and I went almost a full week without photographing. But I was able to sneak out for a quick moto ride and hike and I took some photos along the trail (my first time combining those three hobbies... it was very therapeutic). The light was so nice.

IMGP1178 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP1173 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP1170 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP1168 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP1157 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

James Warner, Justin Tung and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungSpruceBrucedenniscrommett

Shout out to all the great content!  Awesome pictures.  With such a wide array and variety from everyone.  The forum has grown so much, and it's very inspiring to see everyone else's work.

The spring is finally appearing for me.  It's been in the 70/80s after it last snowed a week ago.  So I've been trying to use a variety of my personal gear.

Some Barn Swallows on the Pentax KP/55-300PLM, the bunny was shot on a 1970s Nikkor 200MM F4, and the turkey/deer shot on the Tamron 150-600 paired with my Nikon Z7.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP0155.jpg
  • IMGP0179-2.jpg
  • FNK_3508.jpg
  • FNK_3562.jpg
  • FNK_3555.jpg
James Warner, Justin Tung and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJustin TungdenniscrommettJBP
Quote from SpruceBruce on May 10, 2022, 5:47 am

Shout out to all the great content!  Awesome pictures.  With such a wide array and variety from everyone.  The forum has grown so much, and it's very inspiring to see everyone else's work.

The spring is finally appearing for me.  It's been in the 70/80s after it last snowed a week ago.  So I've been trying to use a variety of my personal gear.

Some Barn Swallows on the Pentax KP/55-300PLM, the bunny was shot on a 1970s Nikkor 200MM F4, and the turkey/deer shot on the Tamron 150-600 paired with my Nikon Z7.

Great shots. The turkey/deer shot is so cool! Both animals are so skittish when they see humans it's a surprise to me when they don't run from each other. 🤣

Quote from JBP on May 9, 2022, 7:19 pm

Looks like you did a great job, bravo! I agree it's often the small things that bring us back to a moment in time more than anything. I'm surprised it was your first time, you seem to have a real talent for it!

It's been hectic for me lately, and I went almost a full week without photographing. But I was able to sneak out for a quick moto ride and hike and I took some photos along the trail (my first time combining those three hobbies... it was very therapeutic). The light was so nice.

Thanks man!

Jpeg is rough haha. I've done that before too, but mostly because I was too in love with Fuji's Astia film sim. I really dig that shot of the gate!

How close were you to that hare? I don't think I've ever been close enough to one to take a picture with a non-tele lens.

Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Justin Tung on May 10, 2022, 5:30 pm
Quote from JBP on May 9, 2022, 7:19 pm

Thanks man!

Jpeg is rough haha. I've done that before too, but mostly because I was too in love with Fuji's Astia film sim. I really dig that shot of the gate!

How close were you to that hare? I don't think I've ever been close enough to one to take a picture with a non-tele lens.

5 yards I'd say, I shot it through the ground floor window of the house I live in.  It regularly comes through the neighborhood and teases my beagle, to the point she howls at it in frustration.

Justin Tung has reacted to this post.
Justin Tung

Bought a V600 scanner and home development stuff, starting doing my own home film development and scanning. It's really paying off. I rescanned some negatives sent back from the lab and the payoff was huge because their scans were so low quality

Their Scan:

Between Buildings by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

My Scan:

Between Buildings (Home Rescan) by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Their Scan:

Cart by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

My Scan:

Racks (Home Rescan) by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Their Scan:

Meters/Stairs by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

My Scan:

Stairs/Meters (Home Rescan) by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

A shot I took 10 years ago and home developed and scanned:

Adventure by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

James Warner, Tristan Carlos and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerTristan CarlosSpruceBrucedenniscrommettJBP
Page 1 of 5Next