Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Share your March Photos (2024)

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next
Quote from JBP on March 13, 2024, 2:07 pm

Although I hope to stick with Pentax as they haven't abandoned the DSLR, a shooting experience I still much prefer. I have an X-T2 I've been toying with also so we'll see if that changes my mind.

I've been going through something similar but in reverse. I've been using my Pentax LX and the manual focusing screen is a micro-prism/split-prism hybrid and I realized that my eyesight isn't as terrible as I thought, it's just the lack of focusing screens on my DSLRs have made it more difficult than it should be. So I'm kind of landing in a SLR/Mirrorless setup. But I feel like this topic could be a whole thread in and of itself.

I had an X-T3, it was my first camera. I've been thinking about going back to get one of the early Fujis again (xt-1/2) How are you liking it?

Quote from Cory Maben on March 13, 2024, 10:14 pm
Quote from JBP on March 13, 2024, 2:07 pm

Although I hope to stick with Pentax as they haven't abandoned the DSLR, a shooting experience I still much prefer. I have an X-T2 I've been toying with also so we'll see if that changes my mind.

I've been going through something similar but in reverse. I've been using my Pentax LX and the manual focusing screen is a micro-prism/split-prism hybrid and I realized that my eyesight isn't as terrible as I thought, it's just the lack of focusing screens on my DSLRs have made it more difficult than it should be. So I'm kind of landing in a SLR/Mirrorless setup. But I feel like this topic could be a whole thread in and of itself.

I had an X-T3, it was my first camera. I've been thinking about going back to get one of the early Fujis again (xt-1/2) How are you liking it?

I feel you there. I love the split screen focusing in my film cameras and always wished DSLRs came with them, or at least had that as a common option. They are out there, though. I think "Catseye" focusing screen was one I remember seeing for Pentax DSLRs. The Pentax focus confirmation beep and red square in the viewfinder helps a lot, but not as good to me as a split screen. And of course the stuff you get with a mirrorless in the viewfinder like focus peaking and punch-in zoom are great. Actually the X-T2 has a split screen option for manual focusing but I haven't gotten it to work yet. It shows the box but there is never a split image.

I was after an X-T1 for the sensor (I love 16mp sensors) or X-H1 for the ergonomics, but found the X-T2 for a great deal so ended up with that. I quite like it. Ergonomics are better than I thought. Build quality is great. The knobs are satisfying and the controls are laid out well. I wasn't thrilled with the sensor at first but it turns out there are some pitfalls you have to be aware of in Lightroom. I have to sharpen images differently as even the default values in Lightroom will cause worm-shaped grain. But now that I have that figured out I quite like the sensor also. Autofocus works really well, which is surprising because if you go on Fuji groups they complain about that a lot. But this thing tracks my kids like a champ. Oh and I really like the shutter sound, which is a big deal to me.

It's the same as I said earlier about Nikon. If you took my Pentax gear away and told me I could only shoot Fuji now, I'd miss my Pentax dearly but I could be content with Fuji. Of course I'd miss an OVF (just a subjective preference, not casting any shade on EVFs) but I'd enjoy all the benefits of an EVF, too.

@jbp

Yeah that's exactly why I'm leaning into mirrorless and slr. It feels like the best manual focus experiences. I also remember my xt3 having a couple simulated focus screen modes, but I didn't know if they were on the older models, I ended up just preferring the peaking though. It's also another reason I really like the SD Quattro, very few of the Sigma DSLR lenses are focus by wire, so you end up with peaking, punch-in and mechanical focus lenses which is a very nice manual focus experience.

With regard to the focusing screens for DSLRs, there is a company online that will make custom options, but I've heard that it can cause issues with the metering which feels like too big of draw back for me personally.

I agree there is something very nice about 16mp sensors. The 'Fuji worms' is actually why I ended up with Capture One instead of Lightroom, apparently it has something to do with the demosaicing algorithm not being able to interpret xtrans filters correctly, I'm not sure, that's what I read online though.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

This morning. D810 and 70-200 2.8 VR (the 2003-2009 version).  The dynamic range on the D810 @ ISO 64, is seemingly endlesss and this lens, the more I use it, I think it has some sort of mojo too.  The color seems to be way more saturated and more contrast than any other lens I have. 

Saturday Morning by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

James Warner, JBP and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBPgroverprisonwine

Stupid, I gotta input a message request....grrr.

Uploaded files:
  • dsc00126_40_96dpi_web.jpg
SpruceBruce, JBP and grover have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBPgrover
Quote from OutspaceKat on March 16, 2024, 5:12 pm

Whoa.  Cool shot.  That doesn't look like white tail.  Is it?

Some more spring shots! Happy to have new growth and bugs. 🙂

k3iii & 60-250

IMGP6026 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

k3iii & 100mm macro

IMGP6359 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6361 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6362 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6382 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

k3iii & 70mm ltd

IMGP6328 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

SpruceBruce, kcphotogeek and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeekgroverprisonwine
Quote from KankRat on March 16, 2024, 11:34 pm
Quote from OutspaceKat on March 16, 2024, 5:12 pm

Whoa.  Cool shot.  That doesn't look like white tail.  Is it?

As far as I know it is. Buddy lent me a skull for the summer.

Quote from KankRat on March 16, 2024, 2:02 pm

This morning. D810 and 70-200 2.8 VR (the 2003-2009 version).  The dynamic range on the D810 @ ISO 64, is seemingly endlesss and this lens, the more I use it, I think it has some sort of mojo too.  The color seems to be way more saturated and more contrast than any other lens I have. 

Saturday Morning by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

That's a beautiful shot!

It's been a busy year and March has been no different, so sorry I'm not around as much but I do check in at least once a week and enjoy all y'alls work 🙂

Here's a random collection of shots this month:

SpruceBruce, kcphotogeek and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeekJBPgroverprisonwine
Happy snappin' 🙂

i've taken a lot of photos so far this month but i just went out and snapped this pic of a robin with my e-500 and i'm just head over heels with the color this camera can produce. not shabby for 8mp! (slight lightroom edits applied but the olympus gets you 90% of the way there). 

Uploaded files:
  • O010235.jpg
SpruceBruce, JBP and grover have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBPgrover
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next